Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Organizing work in progress question

Here is a set of drawer sides
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/2316797958/ for the Lee
Valley tool chest
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...158,46165&ap=1.

If you look closely you will see that _one_ is missing. It was not
missing last night. I am certain that it is sitting in the shop
somewhere watching my futile efforts to find it and laughing
hysterically.

I can think of several ways to organize pieces such as this but if
someone has a method that is working well for them and is willing to
share I would be interested in knowing about it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I'm pretty anal when it comes to pieces like that, but I usually wrap the ****
out of them in the blue tape because it keeps them all in one bundle and I've

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Here is a set of drawer sides
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/2316797958/ for the Lee
Valley tool chest
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...158,46165&ap=1.

If you look closely you will see that _one_ is missing. It was not
missing last night. I am certain that it is sitting in the shop
somewhere watching my futile efforts to find it and laughing
hysterically.

Put one of his buddies on the miter saw and fire the trigger a couple
times while cackling like a maniac. They'll stop giggling real quick.

I can think of several ways to organize pieces such as this but if
someone has a method that is working well for them and is willing to
share I would be interested in knowing about it.

Ah, you are in search of the elusive uncluttered horizontal space.
Hunted nearly to extinction, it is almost never seen in the wild. The
solution is usually to keep trying to add more horizontal space, but
then you just have more cluttered up horizontal space which makes it
even worse. I just took a 2'x8' workbench out of the shop to make
room for a lathe and really all that bench was doing for me was
attract junk.

It really depends on your shop. I've taken to stacking parts on the
wood rack. If I've taken wood out of it to make the parts then there
must be a space there, and it's out of the way enough that I don't end
up picking the stuff up again to get it out of the way - so it's still
where I put it down the first time.

A while back Norm built a rolling parts rack with a bunch of shelves
to hold all the parts for a project. Seems like a good idea, but I
suspect in my shop it would turn into a rolling pile of crap that I
have to push around the shop to get out the way to do anything.

This afternoon's project is to put in a shelf over the router table to
put more crap.

But really, it's probably just time for you to clean the shop.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

I can think of several ways to organize pieces such as this but if
someone has a method that is working well for them and is willing to
share I would be interested in knowing about it.

I really like stretch wrap, aka "flat twine". Not only does it keep
the parts together, but I can write on the plastic which a Sharpie.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

I can think of several ways to organize pieces such as this but if
someone has a method that is working well for them and is willing to
share I would be interested in knowing about it.

A cardboard box, some paper bags, a Sharpie pen and a cheap roll of masking
tape..

One shelf or table surface for the cardboard box and wood pieces too large
for the cardboard box.

Put small parts in bags, put bags in box, band wood pieces together in sets
with masking tape and store beside cardboard box.

When project is finished, throw bags away and start over.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote...
Here is a set of drawer sides

If you look closely you will see that _one_ is missing. It was not
missing last night. I am certain that it is sitting in the shop
somewhere watching my futile efforts to find it and laughing
hysterically.

How about taking the sides you can find over to the oil refinery and putting
them in the input and see how many come out the other end?
Art
{Ducking and running for cover}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:02:11 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

How about taking the sides you can find over to the oil refinery and putting
them in the input and see how many come out the other end?

Ya' know...

A town in John's neighborhood just had a major political battle over
the siting of a Biofuel refinery.

Maybe they stole his parts!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

How about taking the sides you can find over to the oil refinery
and
putting them in the input and see how many come out the other end?

Ya' know...

A town in John's neighborhood just had a major political battle over
the siting of a Biofuel refinery.

Maybe they stole his parts!

Went to make a new one and I found the damned thing. Had to cut a new
piece of stock and when it went through the planer, what came sliding
out the other side but the missing piece. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 January 1st 07 12:01 AM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM
Work in Progress 3 Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 September 12th 06 01:38 PM
Any Ideas For Organizing A Contractors Work Van? michael_m_MT Woodworking 4 March 18th 04 08:32 AM