Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are there any medications one could take to stop buying tools

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

No. That is all.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

I've recently found just the thing you're looking for. It's called New
Baby. Since getting my prescription filled in December, I've had absolutely
no time to even look at my existing tools, let alone shop for new ones.
The only problem is that once you're on the medication, the entire treatment
runs for several decades.

Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Marriage has been shown to be an effective treatment
in most cases. Take one wife and apply as necessary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:52:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

An accute overdose of sleeping pills might do it. Otherwise, I think
you're out of luck.

Bill ( 0:

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:51:39 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:52:02 -0600, Dave wrote:

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

An accute overdose of sleeping pills might do it. Otherwise, I think
you're out of luck.

Bill ( 0:

PS: That's an oxymoron. There ain't no such thing as too many tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Yes. Buy even more tools so that your present collection will seem
very small.
Don't worry though. It will stop automatically when you reach the age
of infirmity
when you can no longer pick up a plane or a screw driver. Till then-
enjoy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Colin B." wrote in message
Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

I've recently found just the thing you're looking for. It's called
New
Baby. Since getting my prescription filled in December, I've had
absolutely
no time to even look at my existing tools, let alone shop for new
ones.
The only problem is that once you're on the medication, the entire
treatment
runs for several decades.

Colin

Aw! You'll get back on the sawhorse before long.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Neill" wrote in message
m...
"Dave" wrote in message

I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Marriage has been shown to be an effective treatment
in most cases. Take one wife and apply as necessary.

But not in all cases, my wife gave me a Lee Valley gift certificate for
Christmas and applauded my purchase of a Bosch jigsaw about the same time, I
guess that makes her a keeper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 2:52*pm, Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Not a medication, but a drug. Hemlock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:33:07 +0000, Colin B. wrote:

Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

I've recently found just the thing you're looking for. It's called New
Baby. Since getting my prescription filled in December, I've had
absolutely no time to even look at my existing tools, let alone shop for
new ones. The only problem is that once you're on the medication, the
entire treatment runs for several decades.

Colin

There is another (temporary?) cure. It's called Kid going to college.
Kind of like New Baby. I think they come from the same source.

D.G. Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

There is an organization called Tool Grubbers Anonymous or TgA for
short. It's a 12 step program that ultimately weans you from buying
more tools buy encourages you to sell/give off what you have. I have
never been to one of their meetings since I don't have a problem.
Indeed, I try to help out by taking in the old tools that are causing
the problems (with NO charge!).

hope this helps,
jo4hn

p.s. They do have a slogan which is shouted several times at each
meeting: "Bad Robin!!!! BAD!!! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message

But not in all cases, my wife gave me a Lee Valley gift certificate for
Christmas and applauded my purchase of a Bosch jigsaw about the same time,
I guess that makes her a keeper.

Good for you. My wife often asks, "why don't you have one of them?" if she
sees Norm using a tool. She thinks I should have one of every tool made.
Gotta love her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 3:52*pm, Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Progesterone?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why would one want to stop? Do you have them all?

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Dave" wrote in message
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 3:52 pm, Dave wrote:
I find myself buying way too many tools, kind of like gambling, are
there any meds or treatments to stop this. Thanks, Dave.

I'm the opposite. I *hate* buying tools. I *hate* shopping and
comparing features. I agonize over whether or not I made the right
decision. I *hate* assembling them and I *hate* tuning them. I've held
onto old crappy tools way too long because I didn't want to go through
the process. I just bought a new table saw because my 25 year old saw
died an ugly death. I'm still tuning the new one and, frankly, I'm
pretty miserable about it. Projects are piling up.

That said, I do have a weakness for some tools. I'll buy a push stick
or a feather board rather than spend the time making them. When it's
all said and done, I'm happiest making furniture. Everything else is a
distraction....

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
I'm the opposite. I *hate* buying tools. I *hate* shopping and
comparing features. I agonize over whether or not I made the right
decision. I *hate* assembling them and I *hate* tuning them. I've held
onto old crappy tools way too long because I didn't want to go through
the process. I just bought a new table saw because my 25 year old saw
died an ugly death. I'm still tuning the new one and, frankly, I'm
pretty miserable about it. Projects are piling up.

In general terms, I agree with you. I don't go buy tools just for the
"woo" factor, I'll only buy something if I have a definite need for it
right now. I won't buy the "latest and greatest" just to have it sit on
the shelf gathering dust and I won't buy something unless it does a job
I absolutely cannot do with the tools I've already got. As such, I
usually only buy to replace tools that die with a better model. I'd
much rather spend my money on wood and actually do something with it.

--
Blog Me! http://BitchSpot.JadeDragonOnline.com