DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/23352-hand-plane-can-you-really-joint-perfectly-straight-edge.html)

Jeff Gorman November 13th 03 07:04 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

"CW" wrote

: ............................... Longer planes,
: since they ride the high points, can not get down into the lows to plane
: them. So what you end up doing is knocking of those high spots. It still
: takes a bit of skill but it is easier with a longer plane. I'm not much
for
: explaining things but you probably get the idea.

Coming late into this ..............

It can be shown theoretically, and many know from experience, that all hand
planes can plane a concave edge. The radius of the curve (assuming it to be
circular, which it might not be) is proportional to the square of the length
of the plane divided by the set.

Hence the longer the plane, the nearer the curve is to a straight line.

This assumes normal operation of course, ie trying to plane a straight edge
(ie not a convex one) with one continuous shaving from end to end.

Most of us want to form a slight concavity when jointing panels where cramps
hold the material while the glue sets. This has the advantage that the joint
is more likely to stay closed at the ends as the ends of the panels shrink
in consequene of long term seasonal changes.

Depending on how 'perfectly' is defined, it is possible by some planing of
the ends to get two edges straight enough to exactly mate without cramp
pressure. This is how in the past, the workers made 'rubbed' joints with
instant-grabbing 'Scotch' glue (or to the Murricans, 'hide' glue).

Hot glue was applied to both edges, the boards were rubbed together to
remove surplus glue and the panel was laid aside to dry. I've seen men
show off by gluing a rubbed joint and immediately throwing the panel to the
floor. In my youth I've done it to impress the multitude.

More about panel jointing on my web site - 'Planing Notes' - 'Rubbed
Jointing'.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email address is username@ISP

Noons November 13th 03 07:18 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Bay Area Dave wrote in message om...

that's PRECISELY why I can't see how a plane can make anything truly
FLAT. A jointer wouldn't if it was set up like a plane. So what are we
missing? Or is the emperor buck naked again? g

and yet, as they say, the proof is in the tasting! ;)
I can't see it either, but fact is I've done it many, many times.
And it works. In fact this very same subject (of the salient blade)
has been the target of arduous discussion in the old tools list.
And no one has reached a satisfactory conclusion. All we seem
to agree on is that it works...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
am

alexy November 13th 03 02:36 PM

"Christopher" wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
When the blade takes a light cut, do you think we are talking on the
order of 2 or 3 thous?

dave

You know, I'm not sure. I'll measure a couple shavings and see what I'm
getting this weekend since I'm curious now. I don't really have a good feel
for how thick a few thousands of an inch is. The thickness of magazine
paper would be in the ballpark.

I did this a while back, and hope I am remembering correctly, but I
think I was getting shavings of about .002, a little less than 1/2 the
thickness of a sheet of typing paper.

BTW, on the original question, I don't think it is as bizarre as some
do (although using a short plane for this purpose is). I think that
the geometry of a hand plane is _in theory_ less likely to give a
straight edge than a jointer.

However, technique is all, with both tools. I have never found jointer
edges straight to less than .002", so I don't feel that my #08 is
likely to make the edge less straight. In fact, in my experience, for
a long edge, the plane is much more likely to improve straightness,
but maybe that's just my relative abilities with the two tools.

--
Alex

Charlie Self November 13th 03 02:45 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

alexy responds:

technique is all, with both tools. I have never found jointer
edges straight to less than .002", so I don't feel that my #08 is
likely to make the edge less straight. In fact, in my experience, for
a long edge, the plane is much more likely to improve straightness,
but maybe that's just my relative abilities with the two tools.

As someone else said, if you butt two edges and hold them to the light, and no
light shows in gaps, it's definitely as close as it needs to be.

And now, I am going out an practice with a new E.C. Emmerich plough plane. Wood
body, aluminum screws, wood fence.

I've got a few pieces of scrap sycamore that are probably ideal for this.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill

Jay Windley November 13th 03 05:20 PM

"Christopher" wrote in message

| I don't really have a good feel for how thick a
| few thousands of an inch is.

Blond or flaxen human hair is between 0.0006 and 0.002 inch.
Black hair is between 0.002 and 0.006 inch.

I don't plane, but I don't see why a properly plane with a high-quality edge
and a wide sole plate can't remove a shaving on the order of 0.005 inch.
The question is why you'd want to, in general. I can see why joinery would
want local tolerances in the mil range, but the porous and elastic nature of
wood suggests that such high tolerances overall are wasted effort.

Any milling operation, such as that done by a powered planer or joiner, will
remove material using a circular cut that digs down into the material and
then emerges from the surface again. The surface finish thus produced is a
convolution of circular arcs, as seen in a section contrary to the "lay".
This brings up what machinists call "feed and speed", which, together with
the properties of the material, determine the geometry of the final finish.

Obviously you've discovered that if your "feed" is too fast, you get a
noticeable set of peaks and valleys. Slowing the feed rate helps, up to a
point. If the feed is too slow, your chip won't retain enough strength,
while still attached, to correctly resist the cut, and it will tear or
fracture and possibly pit the underlying surface.

A linear plane solves that problem but introduces questions of smoothness
along the direction perpendicular to the stroke. The surface finish in that
direction will be composed of piecewise linear segments corresponding to the
"roll" of the plane (rotation along its long axis) as it straddles or
bridges previous cuts.

That's for flatness in the sub-inch realm. For flatness in the
dozens-inches realm you have to look at your plane soles, your joiner
tables, and the suitability of your tool fixtures. Highly elastic materials
such as wood will "hog" during machining if not properly supported and/or
restrained.

--Jay

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 05:38 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Thanks to everyone for the lively discussion. I just ordered the
Veritas low angle smoother...

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I was thinking about the difference between a jointer (powered) and a
plane. A jointer has the outfeed table level with the blade so that as
the work passes over the blade and onto the outfeed table, if the
operator uses good technique to keep the board flat on the outfeed
table, the board pretty much has to come out FLAT.

A hand plane on the other hand isn't built that way. It has a
projecting blade. So unless the sole of the plane is extraordinarily
long, how can you get a perfectly machined straight board? Just for
grins, I was using a tiny hand plane to plane the edge of a board and
found that no matter how hard I tried, the small plane "unflattened" the
straight edge I started with. The more passes, the worse it got. How
long of a plane do you need to get a perfectly flat result on say a 2'
board? a 6' board? Is it MOSTLY technique, or do you have to have a
reference straight edge and keep checking your work constantly as you
plane? OR do you just take a few light passes over an essentially flat
board to start with, and know that it is flat? In other words, when I
use the jointer, I KNOW it's flat. I don't have to check it. Can I do
the same thing with a plane, or do you have to stop, eyeball it with a
reference straight-edge, and then touch it up an little here, a little
there?

Lay it on me, WW gods! :)

dave

Michael Baglio November 13th 03 06:12 PM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:38:55 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the lively discussion. I just ordered the
Veritas low angle smoother...

Some 12' #3 Ipe, and you're all set.

Patrick Olguin November 13th 03 07:27 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Bay Area Dave wrote in message om...
I was thinking about the difference between a jointer (powered) and a
plane.

Dave,

This is why you ****-off people like Scott (and the faceless rabble,
too tired to play tard-ball with you anymore). I plugged this into
Google:

"hand plane differently jointer group:rec.woodworking"

And got this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ha...ris.com&rnum=1

Now, this isn't to say you're not allowed to ask a question. Any
significant discussion is liable to be cyclical (just keep reading
those woodworking mags for a few years), but the most minor effort
(and anyone's part) will at least allow you to begin to have a sniff
of a clue of a partial brain-cell of an idea of a notion of what the
hell you're talking about instead of the handtool equivalent of asking
in alt.astronomy: Geeze fellers, why is the sky cullerd blue? (BTW -
it's because the light wave-length our eye detects as blue is the most
widely scattered by our gaseous atmosphere). There's a decent
explanation he http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/bluesky/index.html.

It isn't rocket science, Dave. DAMHIKT.

O'Deen

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 07:44 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

the only people "****ed off" are the cranky SOB's. Everyone else who
has contributed to this thread has been a gentleman. Perhaps you and
cramer could use a little "charm"?

For a while I thought this thread would avoid the nasty comments that a
handful of the Wreckers are wont to make. Thanks to all who contributed
USEFUL, ON-TOPIC posts.

Olguin, you have lowered yourself to Cramer's level. I didn't think
anyone else was in his league. QED

dave

Patrick Olguin wrote:
snip rude comments

Doug Miller November 13th 03 08:21 PM

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
the only people "****ed off" are the cranky SOB's.

Oh, yes, of course. The problem *must* be with EVERYBODY ELSE. It couldn't
possibly be with YOU.

Everyone else who
has contributed to this thread has been a gentleman. Perhaps you and
cramer could use a little "charm"?

WTF?? BAD, suggesting that *others* "could use a little charm"?
Pot, kettle, black. Physician, heal thyself. Etc.

For a while I thought this thread would avoid the nasty comments that a
handful of the Wreckers are wont to make. Thanks to all who contributed
USEFUL, ON-TOPIC posts.

You can dish it out (as your posts of about ten days ago clearly illustrated),
but you can't take it.

Olguin, you have lowered yourself to Cramer's level. I didn't think
anyone else was in his league. QED

Naw. He was simply pointing out, more politely than most, that you should
develop the habit of seeking out information on your own, instead of yelping
for help on each and every one of the all too frequent occasions when you find
yourself bewildered.

dave

Patrick Olguin wrote:
snip rude comments

If you think that was "rude", Dave, you've led a *very* sheltered life.

["rude" comments restored below]

Dave,

This is why you ****-off people like Scott (and the faceless rabble,
too tired to play tard-ball with you anymore). I plugged this into
Google:

"hand plane differently jointer group:rec.woodworking"

And got this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ha...nter+group:rec.
woodworking+group:rec.woodworking&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.
woodworking&safe=off&selm=Pine.SUN.3.96.9710231841 13.26434E-100000%40galileo.
cris.com&rnum=1

Charles Erskine November 13th 03 08:22 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

The clear cellophane used to wrap cigarette packs is very close to
..001".

I took a hand woodworking class where the instructor made us put away
our jointer planes and edge joint two 3-foot walnut boards together
with our Stanley #4's. It is much more difficult, but it is possible
to get a light-tight joint that way, and it sure highlights the
problems in your planing technique.

I think throwing a football 30 yards and having it go right over the
receiver's shoulder requires more absolute accuracy from a human arm
and hand than making a good glue joint with a hand plane.

"Christopher" wrote in message ...
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
When the blade takes a light cut, do you think we are talking on the
order of 2 or 3 thous?

dave

You know, I'm not sure. I'll measure a couple shavings and see what I'm
getting this weekend since I'm curious now. I don't really have a good feel
for how thick a few thousands of an inch is. The thickness of magazine
paper would be in the ballpark.

-Chris

[email protected] November 13th 03 08:38 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:21:24 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
the only people "****ed off" are the cranky SOB's.

Oh, yes, of course. The problem *must* be with EVERYBODY ELSE. It couldn't
possibly be with YOU.

Everyone else who
has contributed to this thread has been a gentleman. Perhaps you and
cramer could use a little "charm"?

WTF?? BAD, suggesting that *others* "could use a little charm"?
Pot, kettle, black. Physician, heal thyself. Etc.

um doug? you waging a full scale argument with a half wit? :-}

Fred the Red Shirt November 13th 03 09:07 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Scott Cramer wrote in message 07.54...

'Automobile' doesn't tell us anything about internal combustion or
differential gearing, however, we understand it to mean a self-propelled
vehicle. Nor do we need to understand how it works to know THAT it works.

The formal scientific name for the thermodynamic cycle on which the
4 cycle engine runs is the 'Otto' cycle, named for a German engineer.

'Automobile' is actually a corruption of 'Ottomobile.'

--

FF

;-)

Fred the Red Shirt November 13th 03 09:10 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Hitch wrote in message ...

Read the sources listed below, but short of that:

- jointer planes run 22" to 24" long, generally;

- you can make nice, flat surfaces for joining with them and lots of
practice;

- you can use the edge of the plane as your straightedge while planing;

- there are some tricks to creating joinable board edges (e.g., jointing
both boards at once to remove one variable in the process).

I'll add that an electric jointer uses a rotary cutter that results in
a scalloped surface. You can do better with a handplane.

Or at least some folks can.

--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt November 13th 03 09:16 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Bay Area Dave wrote in message om...
Good point, Chris. Creating a bevel would be another concern of mine as
a newbie Neander. Maybe I could put some "training wheels" on my plane
(when I actually GET one) to keep it on the straight and narrow.

It's called a jointer fence. The Stanley 386 is a good one. Or you
can cut a rebate on a board and clamp it to the cheek of the plane.
Little tiny C-clamps would be OK. You could drill and tap the
cheeks for attaching a jointer fence--I,m surprised none of the major
plane makers ever did as a standard feature. Don't know of any
monor ones who did either.

--

FF

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 09:37 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

or, if I had money falling out of my jeans, I could get an edge plane
from Lee Valley! I just got their new catalog yesterday. I found a
plane whose sole purpose is to edge joint. $125 or so IIRC. I should
get my smoother in a week or so.

dave

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 09:39 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Just like Cramer is a corruption of the gene pool...

dave

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
snip
'Automobile' is actually a corruption of 'Ottomobile.'

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 09:43 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

please tell the dougster that my alleged shortcomings do nothing, nada,
nyet, to negate Cramer's disgusting off-topic personal attacks.

how can he argue with me unless you are going to keep quoting him?

At least my glass is half full.

dave

wrote:
snip
um doug? you waging a full scale argument with a half wit? :-}

[email protected] November 13th 03 09:47 PM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:43:02 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

please tell the dougster that my alleged shortcomings do nothing, nada,
nyet, to negate Cramer's disgusting off-topic personal attacks.

how can he argue with me unless you are going to keep quoting him?

At least my glass is half full.

dave

wrote:
snip
um doug? you waging a full scale argument with a half wit? :-}

why hello BAD i was worried you may have plonked me too. i can sleep
better now thank you. :-} skeez

Scott Cramer November 13th 03 09:54 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On 13 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave whimpered unto rec.woodworking:

please tell the dougster that my alleged shortcomings do nothing, nada,
nyet, to negate Cramer's disgusting off-topic personal attacks.

how can he argue with me unless you are going to keep quoting him?

At least my glass is half full.

Was it something I said?

um doug? you waging a full scale argument with a half wit? :-}

The hallmark of BAD's presence here is the way he blunders unarmed
into a battle of wits.

Tom Watson November 13th 03 09:59 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On 13 Nov 2003 11:27:02 -0800, (Patrick Olguin)
wrote:

This is why you ****-off people like Scott (and the faceless rabble,
too tired to play tard-ball with you anymore).

BAD calls 'em "miscreants."

I wonder if he meant its anagram, "nice smart."

(o'course, to be fair, he may have meant the anagramatic version,
"scat miner.")

Wood Butcher November 13th 03 10:01 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

I don't think so. But it was a nice try.
Automobile is auto-mobile or self moving/motion. Just like autograph is
your self written mark and autobiography is your self written story.
Back when the term was initiated all self moving vehicles, including the
electrics and steamers, were called automobiles.

Art

Scott Cramer November 13th 03 10:04 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On 13 Nov 2003, Wood Butcher spake unto rec.woodworking:

I don't think so. But it was a nice try.
Automobile is auto-mobile or self moving/motion. Just like autograph is
your self written mark and autobiography is your self written story.
Back when the term was initiated all self moving vehicles, including the
electrics and steamers, were called automobiles.

Art

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

'Automobile' is actually a corruption of 'Ottomobile.'

And I suppose the bra was NOT invented by a guy named Titzling? Or
the toilet by Thomas Crapper?

Scott Lurndal November 13th 03 10:18 PM

Bay Area Dave writes:
or, if I had money falling out of my jeans, I could get an edge plane
from Lee Valley! I just got their new catalog yesterday. I found a
plane whose sole purpose is to edge joint. $125 or so IIRC. I should
get my smoother in a week or so.

Dave,

Please note that the edge plane from lee valley cannot be used
to prepare an edge in place of jointing. The edge plane will only assure
the edge is square to the face. It will follow hills and valleys
along the length of the board. You must still joint the board first.

It may be useful to eliminate the scalloping left by a power jointer,
if one takes a very fine cut.

scott

Wood Butcher November 13th 03 10:25 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Nope.
http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/bra.asp
http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp

Art

7.53...

Wood Butcher November 13th 03 10:49 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Are your eyes brown?

Art

Patrick Olguin November 13th 03 11:42 PM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
the only people "****ed off" are the cranky SOB's. Everyone else who
has contributed to this thread has been a gentleman. Perhaps you and
cramer could use a little "charm"?

For a while I thought this thread would avoid the nasty comments that a
handful of the Wreckers are wont to make. Thanks to all who
contributed USEFUL, ON-TOPIC posts.

How nice of you to thank me, Dave! I mean, you are thanking *me* too,
aren't you? Or perhaps you didn't click on that link, which was indeedy
chock-full of useful on-topic information? Or did you click on it, and
dismiss it because it was accompanied by some less-than-praising text? Or
did you click on it and your eyes glazed over? Or in the middle of your
whining pouting retort, you skipped it all together? It really was an
answer to your original question. So if you're *not* thanking me, what
gives? I'm just trying to help here.

Olguin, you have lowered yourself to Cramer's level. I didn't think
anyone else was in his league. QED

QED? You mean as in the Latin: Quod erat demonstrandum? This is usually
appended to the text of a mathematical proof, meaning, "what has been
shown." So let me see if I follow correctly - I call you on being
essentially a lazy, shiftless, helpless, hopeless can-barely-wipe-his-ass
cluetoken, and provide some evidence to back it up (e.g - a simple search
yields the answer), and all you're able to recognize is that some "cranky
SOB," is picking on you and so you file me in your BAD man folder, compare
me to Cramer and call it proof?

Sorry Dave, but that dog won't hold water.

Look, I admit it's a guilty pleasure to read Scott putting more dents in
your head. I think he's damn funny, clever and all that - he even appears
to enjoy woodworking (and know a bit about it as well); his participation
clearly extends beyond his penchant for noticing when your pants are down in
the newsgroup and splaying the spotlight onnit. Trouble is, you seem to
only be able to absorb that someone's being a big meanie, and therefore you
miss the message... as you apparently missed mine. Again and again and
again.

Maybe I'm just using the wrong approach. What do you think, people? Could
it be I'm being too harsh by slapping the back of Dave's head to get his
attention and then attempting to provide some information? Could it be a
kindler, gentler approach might work? Maybe I'm just jealous that he's
getting all this shop-time, and so naturally he has questions. Could it be
I really am just a cranky, impatient, arrogant, puffed-up, egotistical,
selfish, pseudo-intellectual, flaming, overbearing *******?

Could I have been wrong all along?

Naaaaaah!

(apologies to Steve Martin)
O'Deen

OBWW - a sharp block plane works for just about any kind of cleaning of
pesky milling marks on a power-jointed edge. Use a light touch and a sharp
iron. A smooth plane is preferable for use on a jointed face. To answer
someone else's question on the need for such thin, fluffy shavings (like
less than 0.001"), when it comes to very difficult woods to plane, like
quilted maple or curly cherry and curly bubinga (my three nemises),
ultra-thin shavings are a must, else you end up with very dissatisfying
tear-out.

Block planes (planes with their bevels up) are also easier for the
planing/sharpening newbie, as they are less sensitive to a rounded bevel -
the bane of the bench plane user. A rounded bevel is a problem for bench
planes that are removing very thin shavings, as it reduces the clearance
angle of the blade, causing the blade to cease cutting as the clearance
angle goes to zero (from repeated honings/roundings). Ideally, one
shouldn't round-over those bevels, but it does happen. Simple ways to avoid
it are to hollow grind the bevel (some nerds call it a bezel) and to use a
hard felt wheel as opposed to a muslin wheel for honing. A leather wheel
works well also.

Jay Windley November 14th 03 12:09 AM

"Patrick Olguin" wrote in message

| QED? You mean as in the Latin: Quod erat demonstrandum? This is usually
| appended to the text of a mathematical proof, meaning, "what has been
| shown."

Nitpick: "quod erat demonstrandum" better translates as "which was to have
been shown" -- a subtle difference. If you want to prove that x = y, you
write a proof that starts at first principles and then somehow gets to the
expression "x = y". You label that last line to signify that you have
successfully arrived at the place you had previously designed to go.

CW November 14th 03 01:06 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

They still are.

Bay Area Dave November 14th 03 02:17 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

So do YOU consider yourself on a par with Cramer or not? You are gonna
be judged by the company you keep.

I read your link, but since so many folks have brought their knowledge
of planing to the table, I failed to learn anything new from your
flowery post of yesteryear. That's NOT to be taken as a slight of your
prodigious knowledge; merely an acknowledgment that the bearers of
knowledge did indeed wrap their offerings more courteously, which allows
me to concentrate on the message and not the writer. I don't like to
slog through paragraphs of slime to reach the pearls of wisdom.

In the future, should you care to distance yourself from your ill-bred
friends, I'm sure we can both dispense with this time-wasting discourse.

The wrong approach? You? Like a drunk driving the wrong way on I-5 at
90 mph with his lights out.

getting all this shop-time, and so naturally he has questions. Could
it be
I really am just a cranky, impatient, arrogant, puffed-up, egotistical,
selfish, pseudo-intellectual, flaming, overbearing *******?

In a word...yes. But that's just one man's opinion. Don't let me ruin
your day.

dave

Rick November 14th 03 03:10 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Paddy me boyo,

Me thinks that SWIATAABOC wouldn't have even said hello to you if you were,
in your own words, "a cranky, impatient, arrogant, puffed-up, egotistical,
selfish, pseudo-intellectual, flaming, overbearing *******".

Besides ... your parent's marital status was out of your control. :o

Could I have been wrong all along?

Naaaaaah!

Don't see the need for you to appologize ... you've given the wreck
everything BUT heartburn.

I'll say it - Thank You O'Deen -

Long live the King of Bug Spit (and all that).

*****

And since we're on the subject, isn't rocket science basically fuel,
oxidizer, nozzle and a match?

My WARMEST regards,

Rick

AKA The Sawdust Factory

Doug Winterburn November 14th 03 03:16 AM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:42:41 -0800, Patrick Olguin wrote:

Maybe I'm just using the wrong approach. What do you think, people? Could
it be I'm being too harsh by slapping the back of Dave's head to get his
attention and then attempting to provide some information? Could it be a
kindler, gentler approach might work? Maybe I'm just jealous that he's
getting all this shop-time, and so naturally he has questions. Could it be
I really am just a cranky, impatient, arrogant, puffed-up, egotistical,
selfish, pseudo-intellectual, flaming, overbearing *******?

Could I have been wrong all along?

Naaaaaah!

It seems a motion has been made for a vote. I second it and also vote
"Naaaaaah".

-Doug

Doug Winterburn November 14th 03 03:21 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:44:07 -0500, Trent© wrote:

No...he's being his usual prick of a self again.

Is this a slap at Charlie or a compliment to Doug?

Rodney Myrvaagnes November 14th 03 05:26 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:24:04 -0500, Trent©
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:58:07 -0500, brocpuffs
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:10:39 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

that's PRECISELY why I can't see how a plane can make anything truly
FLAT. A jointer wouldn't if it was set up like a plane. So what are we
missing? Or is the emperor buck naked again? g

dave

You cats have never used a jointer plane properly, obviously.

Sure, any plane will hit the high spots first. It will continue to
take down the high spots till they are at the same level as the lowest
low spot, after which you have a clean, straight edge.

Done it lots of times, not dreaming!

If they didn't do this well, as someone said, the great joinery in
pre-electricity days wouldn;t have been possible.

They didn't have rasps and sandpaper back then?

You can edge join planks using rasps and sandpaper, and come out with
an invisible glue line? My hat is off to you.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab

Eric Lund November 14th 03 06:55 AM

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

"Christopher" wrote in message
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
Chris, you understand my dilemma exactly. If I get a smoother (sorry, I
had misspoken earlier when I referred to a block plane) as my first
quality plane (Veritas $160) I was wondering if I could smooth a power
jointed edge to perfection. The edge would already be flat, but the
object of further work would be to remove machining marks, as you noted.
Somebody understands me! :)

dave

My guess is that if you are very practiced with a handplane you could
improve the edge slightly. I've been practicing a lot lately and though

I'm
getting better, I doubt I would actually improve the results provided by a
power jointer. It would probably be a bit smoother, but I'm not sure I
could maintain square without some kind of shooting board. I actually
disagree with Charlie Self below where he says a jointer plane would be
better than a smooth plane here. Being a newbie, I'll probably get eaten
alive for doing so but that's OK. I think that taking a shaving of even
thickness, down the entire length of the board, will maintain the same

level
of flatness produced by the jointer. It's introducing an unwanted bevel I
would worry about rather than making the piece concave or convex.

-Chris

Bevel... That's because most people try and joint a board by mounting it in
a vise and setting the plane on top. The way it was done when craftsmen
didn't have tailed apprentices was to put the board on a shooting board and
lay the plane on its side. Takes all the guesswork out. Of course, the
tools have to be correctly set up. The plane's side has to be square to the
sole. That's the way Graham Blackburn's master taught him, and they didn't
use tailed apprentices in that shop.

Mr. Blackburn teaches a joinery class several times a year. In the class,
they do a rub joint. Joint two boards, with hand planes, spread a small
amount of glue evenly across the edge of one of the boards. Place the other
board on it, offset about 4-6 inches. Slide the second board until the ends
are even, using feel to ensure that the faces of the boards are as close as
level as possible (The human finger is capable of feeling less than .001
in.). Wait a few minutes, then set the boards aside to dry. Notice, no
clamps. The next day, they break the joint. It never breaks on the glue
line. No clamps, no biscuits, no dowels. Just a well planed joint and so
little glue there is not even any squeeze out.

Cheers,
Eric