Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Poseidon

Default Table Saw questions

I would like to ask for comments on a highly disputed topic - table saws. After a long hiatus I am getting back into WW and need to update my table saw (currently a Ryobi BT3000). My future projects include: a sleigh bed, chest of drawers, bookcases, and nightstands. I know these are ambitious projects and I intend to start with smaller projects to re-immerse my feet. Now back to my dilemma. I am in the market for a good table saw and have been stewing about a contractor vs. a cabinet saw. I have read many good articles and reviews on the subject; however, they tend to contradict each other somewhat. Whatever saw I end up with must have a good fence! A biesemeyer fence spoiled me on a unisaw, years ago, at an Air Force Base wood hobby shop.

My top choice was the JET 708663DXK JTAS-10XL JET Left-Tilt Xacta Saw with 50" Fence, Router Lift, Upgrade Fence, and Bosch Router until I read a review in a recent magazine. It showed a picture of a cut that wasn't supportive for the saw. I would really appreciate comments about that review - either supporting or debunking that review. I really like that package, as I want to upgrade from my old Craftsman router as well.

On the other side of the spectrum I've been looking at the Grizzly contractor saw ($720 shipped) and figure I could buy a router and a Router Lift system for another $500-600. I like the integral router table/table saw system, but I remember reading that some people reverted back to a dedicated router table. Please feel free to share your opinions on this subject.

This is where it kind of falls apart for me. If I spend another $500 I get another 1.5 hp and a 52" fence system. I know it would be worth it, if only there wasn't a nagging question about the cut. On second thought, I would need to buy a mobile base and have a 220 plug put into the garage. I suppose that would elevate the price to about $2000. Roughly $800 more than a contractors saw, would it be wiser to spend that $800 on other tools like a jointer or band saw?

I am fully cognizant that only I can answer which saw is best for me and have others saws like the Grizzly 1023 dancing through my head; nevertheless, many of you have struggled with these questions and I would like to hear how you handled it, or how you would if you had to do it again.

Thanks, Mike