Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Whats with all the filthy post on this site.

I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

Being an unmoderated group, we can't control the folks who come in and
post. It's a free Newsgroup, and sometimes people think it's an
invitation to spam.

Just ignore it and you'll find a lot of great woodworking stuff to
keep you interested, if you want to do a little filtering.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 8:35*pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:21:11 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35*pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Dave.. hang out for a while and read a lot of posts...
Learn to recognize the serious folks and who usually talks about stuff you're
interested in..
Then, you'll know after a while what's most likely good reading and what's
probably not.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:21:29 -0500, Tanus wrote:

wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I missed smut?

Obviously the woodworking gods are
displeased with me.

Maybe they meant the Lee Valley centerfold?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

Please submit your proposal for stopping the jerks and we will implement it.

Otherwise, don't look at it or set up some filters.

Thanks

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

You had to go *back* to find the smut? That's weird, maybe they've stopped.
Hey, come on back, they've stopped! Oh, wait, you've already left.

You could've read the faq. Especially the part about thick skin and nomex
underwear. Gee, I hope you don't consider that comment to be smut-like.

Your loss,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I missed smut?

Obviously the woodworking gods are
displeased with me.

Maybe they meant the Lee Valley centerfold?

mac

Maybe, does bevel-up jack plane sound dirty? LOL.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, Dave wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:

I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Why not try some of the other woodworking groups?
www.sawmillcreek.org
www.lumberjocks.com
www.woodcentral.com
Most of these groups are moderated and mostly
stay on topic. Better yet, get some good woodworking
books and learn from the masters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:19:18 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

.. .

wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I missed smut?

Obviously the woodworking gods are
displeased with me.

Maybe they meant the Lee Valley centerfold?

mac

Maybe, does bevel-up jack plane sound dirty? LOL.

jc

I was thinking that an avid interest in squirrel planes was a tad perverted..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message
wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I missed smut?

Obviously the woodworking gods are
displeased with me.

E-mail JOAT, he'll get 'em straightened out for you!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 10:56*pm, Hank wrote:
wrote in news:9593a097-21ee-4c1c-89d2-bd19e8db4ff5
@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

What smut? Did I miss something. Did Robotoy reverse Plonk me so I can't
read his posts? Did Charlie (I was in the USMC) swear again? ****, I never
get the word.

I haven't been posting very often, to speak of, because I'm back at
the shop busy working.
And yet, there seems to be a lot of silly threads having a long life
of their own without MY participation.
Suuuuuure it is easy to blame Robatoy, and yes, he does toss out a
line with some bait on it once in a while (in his quest for
clarification), but **** happens without me here...so what does that
tell you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:50:30 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:56*pm, Hank wrote:
wrote in news:9593a097-21ee-4c1c-89d2-bd19e8db4ff5
@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

What smut? Did I miss something. Did Robotoy reverse Plonk me so I can't
read his posts? Did Charlie (I was in the USMC) swear again? ****, I never
get the word.

I haven't been posting very often, to speak of, because I'm back at
the shop busy working.
And yet, there seems to be a lot of silly threads having a long life
of their own without MY participation.
Suuuuuure it is easy to blame Robatoy, and yes, he does toss out a
line with some bait on it once in a while (in his quest for
clarification), but **** happens without me here...so what does that
tell you?

That you also post with an alias?

Just kidding, Robo..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:56*pm, Hank wrote:
wrote in news:9593a097-21ee-4c1c-89d2-bd19e8db4ff5
@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

What smut? Did I miss something. Did Robotoy reverse Plonk me so I can't
read his posts? Did Charlie (I was in the USMC) swear again? ****, I never
get the word.

I haven't been posting very often, to speak of, because I'm back at
the shop busy working.
And yet, there seems to be a lot of silly threads having a long life
of their own without MY participation.
Suuuuuure it is easy to blame Robatoy, and yes, he does toss out a
line with some bait on it once in a while (in his quest for
clarification), but **** happens without me here...so what does that
tell you?

That you also post with an alias?

Yes, of course. I have that kind of time AND an interest in playing
UseNet games..LOL

Just kidding, Robo..

That Roba to you....G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:22:32 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

Just kidding, Robo..

That Roba to you....G

Oops.. sorry bout that.. must have been thinking of Robohippy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just kidding, Robo..

That Roba to you....G

Oops.. sorry bout that.. must have been thinking of Robohippy..

You mean the one with the ponytail?
Posted to rec.woodworking

*************************

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty stuff.
I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy. Fortunately I
have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info. I have yet to
firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when following a thread for
something that interest me. Valid suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

I haven't seen any of the porn inserted into the middle of a thread as yet,
Dave. There's plenty in the headers of posts but you can spot span and porn
pretty quickly and move on. Now, if anyone has a porn addiction that they
are working through you need to stick with a moderated site such as the ones
already given. Best of luck to you and I hope that you can stay.
Regards,
Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just kidding, Robo..

That Roba to you....G

Oops.. sorry bout that.. must have been thinking of Robohippy..

You mean the one with the ponytail?

No, that's ME..rofl..

The last time that I saw Robo, his head was shaved....
He looked like he had the same haircut as me.. a NoHawk..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35Êpm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Drop google groups and get a real newsreader and news provider.

SuperNews is excellent at filtering the garbage. I rearely see any of
the crap others complain about,

It appears you use Windows, so I'll let others recommend a newsreader
for that platform.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
Drop google groups and get a real newsreader and news provider.

SuperNews is excellent at filtering the garbage. I rearely see any of
the crap others complain about,

It appears you use Windows, so I'll let others recommend a newsreader
for that platform.

I've seen plenty of folks recommend Free Agent or Agent Forte but I've had
excellent luck with plain old Outlook Express coupled with NewsProxy and a
decent set of message rules. I see the occasional complaint but I never seem to
see what sets them off. That crap gets filtered before it makes it to my
screen.

As a result, I see a lot less traffic, but what I do see is on-topic. What did
me the most good was filtering on crossposted messages. They seem to have the
most off-topic crap in them, almost by definition. Outlook Express can't filter
crossposts, but the NewsProxy add-on can.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
[...]

Free Agent doesn't exist anymore--you can find ancient versions in
various places but there hasn't been a new release in a very long
time. Agent has a free mode but it's the most annoying kind of
nagware I've ever seen--the icons and menu items for the disabled
features are still displayed and any time you click on one it asks you
if you want to upgrade.

Outlook Express with a decent proxy server does fine.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree to some extent but I have learned to look past it into the good of
the woodworker content. In fact, on occasion, I have used some of the
spammers posts to be a point of spoofing and a little fun in the context of
woodworking as related to their post. As concerning to me are the regular
posters who wander off topic to use a legitimate woodworking discussion as
a launching point for expressing their own political or religious
perspectives. But that too is "ignorable."

Roger

wrote in message
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
,
Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Drop google groups and get a real newsreader and news provider.

SuperNews is excellent at filtering the garbage. I rearely see any of
the crap others complain about,

It appears you use Windows, so I'll let others recommend a newsreader
for that platform.

I like Thunderbird from the Mozilla
folks. It's free and relatively easy to
use.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
,
Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Drop google groups and get a real newsreader and news provider.

SuperNews is excellent at filtering the garbage. I rearely see any of
the crap others complain about,

It appears you use Windows, so I'll let others recommend a newsreader
for that platform.

Ooops. Fergot the link.
http://www.mozilla.org/

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:49*pm, Tanus wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
,
Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

I use MT-NewsWatcher. Works great and I get to nuke the argumentative
mofos at will.
*FLICK* ---asshole is gone.... like a bit of dust.... squashed like a
bug.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
,
Dave wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:35 pm, wrote:
I was browsing through a couple of pages back and saw the smut.I
thought this was a wood workers forum, I won't be back!

I am new to this posting stuff as well and do not care for the nasty
stuff. I just want to share information about the craft I enjoy.
Fortunately I have a thick skin and I am learning to read header info.
I have yet to firgure out how to glean through the vitrol when
following a thread for something that interest me. Valid suggestions
would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dave G.

Drop google groups and get a real newsreader and news provider.

SuperNews is excellent at filtering the garbage. I rearely see any of
the crap others complain about,

It appears you use Windows, so I'll let others recommend a newsreader
for that platform.

I'm using Supernews with Mozilla Thunderbird under Windows Vista. Works
great.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:34:36 -0500, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Free Agent doesn't exist anymore--you can find ancient versions in
various places but there hasn't been a new release in a very long
time. Agent has a free mode but it's the most annoying kind of
nagware I've ever seen--the icons and menu items for the disabled
features are still displayed and any time you click on one it asks you
if you want to upgrade.

Outlook Express with a decent proxy server does fine.

--

I'm very happy with Agent...
I used Free Agent for years and decided that $30 was worth it just for the spell