Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WOW! PART II Crazy WoodworkingMagazine wrter steps quarely in it.

You have to read part II to believe it.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...9bc5c6615.aspx

He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
You have to read part II to believe it.

As a respondent noted, what's critical here is what he actually does w/
his hands--the way that picture shows, one presumes he simply passes the
board over the knives counting on the friction on the surface to keep
the workpiece where it is--that's fine until the one time it doesn't and
he's got a hand pushing down over the knives--then he's lost a lot of
flesh in a hurry.

I use hand feed w/ and/or w/o a stick or pad depending on the size of
the material, but as that responder noted, _NEVER_ let the hands come
close to the knife opening and always retain a fixed position behind a
piece of work to ensure more than simply friction is at work behind
it--thus a push stick or pad w/ lip for virtually all flat work unless
the thickness is sufficient.

Eventually, he'll make a slip if he keeps this up and uses a jointer in
this fashion with regularity--imo that's inevitable; it's "when" not "if".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 10:11*am, dpb wrote:

Eventually, he'll make a slip if he keeps this up and uses a jointer in
this fashion with regularity--imo that's inevitable; it's "when" not "if".

That sir, is a guarantee. No doubt about it. That guy is an idiot of
the first order and seems to be proud of it.

I have been doing professional woodwork for almost 35 years and I am
proud to say I have all fingers, toes and both eyes. Why? I try to
never do stupid things and don't tempt fate. My accidents happen
mostly when one of two things occur: I am too tired or my helper is
too tired and we should have gone home.

The other types of accidents are what I consider an occupational
hazard. If there is a machine hiccup. Or guard hangs (ever sit a
cicular saw down and have it whizz across your foot?), a loose knot
flies out and whacks someone, a fastener doesn't hold and something
comes loose or falls, a ladder slips, there is a short (from wear/use)
in a tool that causes me to get lit up, somthing slips out of your
hand and you drop it on your foot, you trip over the trunk lines of
air hoses and extension cords, or a brad from the gun turns back and
goes into my hand.

All of those things I can accept. They are just part of it. But that
guy is no less than retarded. Soooo ****ing stupid. He sure wouldn't
be that cavalier and smarmy if he was looking for three fingered
gloves or only needed half a pair of safety glasses. And where is his
editor? Out smoking dope in the back of the building with the
janitors?

Worse, at the bottom of that nasty/smug article, you have
opportunities to read more crap from that moron. What could it be?

How to set your planer blades while it is running?

Removing excess body hair with your power planer?

Using a wire coat hanger as an electrical plug testor (guess who
lights up?)

I guess what is so upsetting is that someone WILL try this. Somebody
with limited experience, trying to learn and teach him/herself, and
relying on the fact that the article is printed in a publication that
is considered somewhat of an instructional magazine.

Rarely am I this surprised at anything. Once was bad. Twice?
Someone should sue.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
On Jan 24, 10:11 am, dpb wrote:

I guess what is so upsetting is that someone WILL try this. Somebody
with limited experience, trying to learn and teach him/herself, and
relying on the fact that the article is printed in a publication that
is considered somewhat of an instructional magazine.

Rarely am I this surprised at anything.

Robert

Robert,

I couldn't have made this point any better or agree with it any more. We
were ALL beginners at one point, probably reading this magazine (for the
newer beginners anyway) for tips and how to's to increase our knowledge, and
*this* is what's being passed along as not only safe, but so safe that
anyone who would dare contradict it deserves to be mocked???

Sittin' here and steaming,

Joe C.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 9:57am (EST-1) (Leon)
doth sayeth:
You have to read part II to believe it.
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...9bc5c6615.aspx
He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

Every time I see a post about jointers, I'm always reminded of my
favorite: http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/hook.htm Kill the lawyers.
LMAO

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President
- Bumper Sticker
I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Rarely am I this surprised at anything. Once was bad. Twice?
Someone should sue.

Why not put add what you've just written to the article comments?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 12:56*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:11*am, dpb wrote:

[...]

Agreed, the guy's a maroon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

This guy is confusing fear with respect for the damage a power tool
can do. Maybe his Editor needs to step in.
Step away from the jointer, Mr. Huey...............

ROY!

This idiot is their senior editor. I don't subscribe to the mag, if I
did I would be cancelling my subscription and letting them know why.

--
http://sawdustmaking.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Campbell" wrote in message

This guy is confusing fear with respect for the damage a power tool
can do. Maybe his Editor needs to step in.
Step away from the jointer, Mr. Huey...............

ROY!

This idiot is their senior editor. I don't subscribe to the mag, if I
did I would be cancelling my subscription and letting them know why.

--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Not to dispute you, but I find it hard to believe that some one with this
little knowledge of machine safety and this little respect for his readers
safety could be the head editor of a major wood working magazine. The
magazines board of directors must have very low standards indeed. Is this
magazine published by the B&D group by any chance?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Curran
Copeland wrote:

"Frank Campbell" wrote in message

This guy is confusing fear with respect for the damage a power tool
can do. Maybe his Editor needs to step in.
Step away from the jointer, Mr. Huey...............

ROY!

This idiot is their senior editor. I don't subscribe to the mag, if I
did I would be cancelling my subscription and letting them know why.

--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Not to dispute you, but I find it hard to believe that some one with this
little knowledge of machine safety and this little respect for his readers
safety could be the head editor of a major wood working magazine. The
magazines board of directors must have very low standards indeed. Is this
magazine published by the B&D group by any chance?

Here is a list of their staff:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/contactus

--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
You have to read part II to believe it.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...9bc5c6615.aspx

He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

I question much if any legal liability....he pretty much said this is the
way he does it and why......while we obviously on some occasion have a
litigious society...proving such gloves caused a accident when someone is
stupid enough to stick a finger into a spinning blade and proving it was
because the author forced you into inherently unsafe practices could be a
hard sell....While he did suggest trying it, he also clearly said the status
quo did not and he clearly referenced a Feb. popular woodworking jointer
article (considerably more jointer information)......not to mention that if
you follow his "if, ands and buts" a accident would be most difficult if not
nearly impossible.....also by nature jointers have rather limited damage
potential, finger tips to first joint as most common I'd think.....It would
really take a determined effort to lose a whole hand....Lawyers likely will
not line up for single joint damages, nor is a class action likely as there
just is not enough lost tips to gloves to entice......it is also pretty much
a industry standard that in every article on projects, techniques or
equipment that not every conceivable "problem" is clearly defined....a
certain degree of competence or experience is assumed.

Incidentally within the framework of his caveats, tight and specific grip
gloves, discard when gloves no longer grab, thick enough stock, wide enough
stock, proper hand and finger placement, proper lumber selection etc.....why
is his suggestion "dangerous"? Would not the additional grip and material
control add certain safety elements? While I personally dislike gloves for
anything other than snow and blackberries vines, I'd think on a 6-8 ft 2 by
something a gloved hand might bring added control, about the only time my
push blocks etc. don't work all that well...... Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

[...]

Snip

While I agree that one would suspect that if some one is injured common
sense should prevail, it is still reckless to mention an unsafe practice and
publicize it 2 times, being contrary to all the comments that objected.

Don't be so sure that some one will not go after him and win. After all the
jury ultimately decides and that is a crap shoot in itself. Take Michael
Jackson and OJ for instance. The money wins. In the past few days in
Houston a Grand Jury felt that a Judge needed to go to trial for burning
down his home. The district attorney tried to change their minds and
ultimately disregarded their suggestion and dismissed the case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:49:30 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Rarely am I this surprised at anything. Once was bad. Twice?
Someone should sue.

Why not put add what you've just written to the article comments?

Chris

He is doing a little back peddling and side stepping in a response to my
comment,

I Posted,

If you want people to take you seriously you should wise up and quit
suggesting dangerous practices. I'll probably be suspicious of your comments
from this point forward. I have been doing serious woodworking for 30 years
and this and the previous article on this subject is reckless.
Many recognize your ignorance and or lack of experience with these 2
articles.

He responds,

I don't believe that bringing debate and discussion to light on such a hot
woodworking topic is reason enough to question one's seriousness to the
craft. And, I applaud your idea to be suspicious of my future comments - in
fact, I think we should be suspicious of everything we read - including
comments on this blog

This is a slightly different topic, but did anyone catch the recent
This Old House episode where a guy was installing trim in the kitchen?
He walks over to a table saw and then freehand rips the trim without
benefit of fence nor miter gauge. Norm is standing right next to him
and didnt say a peep.

I was having a heart attack, expecting a major kickback and blood all
over the tv camera.

-dickm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 3:13*pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:

SNIP

.....also by nature jointers have rather limited damage
potential, finger tips to first joint as most common I'd think.....It would
really take a determined effort to lose a whole hand....

You have got to contact my next door neighbor that has worked in a
mill shop for about 15 years and let him know how you came up with
that idea.

While surface facing a piece on an 8" machine much like (exactly?) the
Huey method, the planer caught the board (gnarly area?) and tore shot
the board out from under his hand causing him to lose balance. His
hand went right onto the spinning blade. It cut off one of his
fingers and cut into the palm, knuckles, and meat of his whole hand.
His "healed hand" almost works, and they were able to sew him up and
restore a great deal of feeling.
He admitted it... he was being lazy and didn't want to walk over to
get he push pads.

Remeber he is SURFACING THE FACE, not the edge. This is the paramount
of careless stupidity to do something like this on a machine with
spinning blades.

After rereading his article, it seems to me to be worse than when I
read it the first time. All that bull**** about fear.... apparently
he hasn't seen cut off fingers, damaged eyes, damaged limbs, slashes
from edged tools, etc. I would suspect that he is "one of those"
guys that worked in his garage until this job came up. Beign a
"woodworker" for 20 years is not the same as someone that does it for
a living for 20 years. He needs to spend 8 - 10 hrs a day for about
20 years on a jobsite or in full woodworking shop that uses the same
exact tools he is using for the foolish exhibitions.

Then good people, we would be able to see how smarmy and arrogant he
is about the use of tools, especially if he is the one missing a digit
or wearing long scar.

I have been to the emergency room enough times for accidents that have
happened to me as well as my guys to last a lifetime. I can't tell
you how many times I have thought "just how in the Hell COULD this
hapen?" when it was an honest to Pete accident. Sometimes accidents
are so "rube Goldberg" that they probably couldn't be repeated if
staged.

But I never tempt fate. I never dare my tools or techniques to injure
me. I never show off by letting someone else see just exactly what I
can get away with. And truthfully, I have never seen anyone be as
stupid as that guy is to preach that as "an alternative" to a safe
way. Scarier still, he says he has students!! He is teaching people
to be like him. For them, I feel sorry as I know how the story ends.

If he scoffs as being "afraid" of a jointer, then then think of how
careless he might be when using other tools that seem to be less
dangerous.

That guy is a nightmare.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dicko" wrote in message

This is a slightly different topic, but did anyone catch the recent
This Old House episode where a guy was installing trim in the kitchen?
He walks over to a table saw and then freehand rips the trim without
benefit of fence nor miter gauge. Norm is standing right next to him
and didnt say a peep.

;~) Norm did not peep because I have seen Norm do this also. That practice
is actually done quite often although like the article in question I would
not broad cast it all over the country. If you are cutting thin stock like
1/4 plywood and have the blade just high enough to cut, it is a wee bit
safer than it looks. There is not so much of a chance for kick back as
there would be if a stationary objuct were to be in the mix and the blade
were higher. I do not recomend the practice but it happens a lot.

I was having a heart attack, expecting a major kickback and blood all
over the tv camera.

I was watching the goober on The Ultimate Workshop on the DIY channel when
he was showing how to cut a dado across a board. He use the miter gauge to
guide the wood but he also left the guard and splitter in place. He had a
puzzled look in his face when the board stop moving forward after coming in
contact with the splitter. The camers should have stopped recording and the
scene edited out until some taught him how to use a TS. But no, the camera
also recorded him pulling the board back through spinning dado blade and I
almost had a cow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rod & Betty Jo wrote:
Leon wrote:
You have to read part II to believe it.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...9bc5c6615.aspx

He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

I question much if any legal liability....he pretty much said this
is
the
way he does it and why......while we obviously on some occasion have
litigious society...proving such gloves caused a accident when
someone is
stupid enough to stick a finger into a spinning blade

Proving the gloves caused the accident, no, that would be hard.
Proving that the gloves are the reason you lost your whole hand and
not just your fingertips, that would be a lot easier.

and proving it
was
because the author forced you into inherently unsafe practices could
be a
hard sell....

Force, no. Misled into believing it was a safe practice, that's
another story.

While he did suggest trying it, he also clearly said the
status
quo did not and he clearly referenced a Feb. popular woodworking
jointer
article (considerably more jointer information)......not to mention
that if
you follow his "if, ands and buts" a accident would be most
difficult
if not
nearly impossible.....also by nature jointers have rather limited
damage
potential, finger tips to first joint as most common I'd think.....

Without the gloves, yes, but note that in a jointer accident all they
can do is stop the bleeding, there is no surgical reattachment of
hamburger. And once the blades have the gloves it's not going to stop
chewing on you until it stalls or the gloves come off or it chews up
to a point above the gloves.

It
would
really take a determined effort to lose a whole hand....

Without gloves you'd have to work at it. The gloves are the scary
part of what he's recommending.

[...]

If it's a 6 foot 2xsomething I'd handle it bare-handed, not with
gloves. Easy to keep your hands away from the cutter with something
that big.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Campbell wrote:
In article , Curran
Copeland wrote:

[...]

Looking at the guy's picture he just has the look of somebody who
won't take anybody's word that the stove is hot.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 5:07 pm, (J T) wrote:
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 9:57am (EST-1) (Leon)
doth sayeth:
You have to read part II to believe it. snip

Holly bat crap Batman. I read it after I posted that link. I
quite, in part:
"I would never spend my well-earned money for a machine that frightened
me each time I used it."

I've got news for him, I'm scared of all of my power tools, to
varying degrees. Because of that I damn well pay attention when I use
them, so don't have accidents with them. If I were to make a 1/4" deep
cut on the tablesaw in 1" thick wood, I still wouldn't be putting my
hand on top of it, I'd be using a push block and/o push stick. Being
afraid of my tools makes me make sure my fingers aren't going to get in
the whirley parts. Any time a farmer gets hurt by a bull, usually turns
out he wasn't frightened by the bull. That's just what the bull was
waiting for. Personally, the only way I'll get near a bull is either
with it on a plate, or between two buns. Bulls just teetotally scare
the coondog crap out of me.

A little fear is healthy. A lack of fear is stupid. I don't shake with
fear when working on my machines, but I damned well am bright enough
to fear what they can do if I contribute my own stupidity to their
lack of ability to think for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" told us...

Any time a farmer gets hurt by a bull, usually turns
out he wasn't frightened by the bull. That's just what the bull was
waiting for. Personally, the only way I'll get near a bull is either
with it on a plate, or between two buns. Bulls just teetotally scare
the coondog crap out of me.

As an old farmboy, I can relate. I can't begin to tell you all the problems
that a fully intact bull can cause. Many city slickers are fascinated by
such things as they have no direct knowledge or experience with "authentic
bull stories".

To paraphrase my grandfather, "Anything on a farm with testicles is big
trouble".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ROY!" wrote in message

Doesn't appear to be back peddling to me. Seems he took a shot at you
and is displaying incredible stubborness and arrogance by not just
deleting his jointer procedure and taking the high road. He's trying
real hard to defend the indefensible.

ROY!

Well I guess you can read it that way too. I was generously giving him the
benefit of the doubt.

I agree with you, he should remove the articles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Looking at the guy's picture he just has the look of somebody who
won't take anybody's word that the stove is hot.

That's funny. After looking at the picture, even funnier. I agree with
your comment. He kinda has that crazy look in his eyes. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:30 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

You have to read part II to believe it.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...9bc5c6615.aspx

He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

I have not been afraid of my DJ20 jointer, but I do respect it and
keep my hands clear above the spinning blades. I still use the
rubber-based push blocks. I would need more convincing/training
before using gloves as illustrated. I still think the best safety
tool is a clear-thinking brain, and I still have all ten digits after
40+ years of woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Copeland wrote:

[...]

Maybe they have the old bean counter mindset, Do it cheaper and don't worry
about the quality. I wonder if he was the low bidder for the job?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

A little fear is healthy. A lack of fear is stupid.

Right. Fear is your body's way of saying "Pay attention."

-- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Douglas Johnson wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

A little fear is healthy. A lack of fear is stupid.

Right. Fear is your body's way of saying "Pay attention."

Starbuck, the Second Mate in Moby Dick, said "I will not have a man in
my boat who is not afraid of a whale".

The chapter can be found at
http://www.americanliterature.com/Me...eWhale/27.html.
Might find it interesting, as it touches on the utility of reasonable
fear. Note that Melville did not write from theory, he spent 18 months
aboard a whaler.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
wrote:

Bull on the plate, LOL

That reminds me of a picture of a bill board I saw today,

The Saskatoon Restaurant states,

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the Mashed Potatoes

Picture he http://balderstone.ca/Godscreatures1.jpg

And nowhere near Saskatoon, where I live.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

You have to read part II to believe it.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com:...ink,guid,81407
05a-2659-41b1-b266-7109bc5c6615.aspx

He has sealed his fate if a lawyer goes after him.

The guy's an idiot.