Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rules of Thumb

Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http://
www.rulesofthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on
all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but
there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want
to put some of our wisdom up there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:32:56 -0800 (PST), Bobthepenguy
wrote:

Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http://
www.rulesofthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on
all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but
there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want
to put some of our wisdom up there.

Best one is to still have two..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Bobthepenguy" wrote in message
Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http://
www.rulesofthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on
all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but
there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want
to put some of our wisdom up there.

Keep rules (especially metal ones) and thumbs away from the sharp spinny
things.

:-)

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

DonkeyHody
"There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right
things."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool also.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:04:25 -0800 (PST), DonkeyHody
wrote:

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

Makes sense to me.. could be applied to manual labor, also..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:37:46 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool also.
;~)

Unless she's a good shot..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1
Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely
away from sharp things, spinning or not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote:

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1
Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely
away from sharp things, spinning or not.

Rule #2

If in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool
also. ;~)

Unless she's a good shot..

Yeah, there is that. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

Makes sense to me.. could be applied to manual labor, also..

Is he a neighbor down there in Baja?

Keep your thumbs on the outside of any piece you're resawing with the
bandsaw, just as if you were bricking a camel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at
Texas A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding
Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires.
"Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide
the entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new
tool also. ;~)

Unless she's a good shot..

Flashing on Lyudmila Pavlichenko.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas
A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor
Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold
your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the
entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool
also.
;~)

Unless she's a good shot..

Being from Texas I practically grew up with a gun in my hands. She on the
other hand does not even want to look at one. Her looks could kill though.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"charlieb" wrote:

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1
Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely
away from sharp things, spinning or not.

Rule #2

If in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

Lew

Ok, you just caused a loop, you fix it. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:16:31 GMT, "George" wrote:

Makes sense to me.. could be applied to manual labor, also..

Is he a neighbor down there in Baja?

Nope, he stands around at the cantina looking for odd jobs..
He did a great job on our patio pavers.....*g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Jan 2008 10:27:57 -0500, Maxwell Lol wrote:

charlieb writes:

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1
Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely
away from sharp things, spinning or not.

No no no. That's not rule #1. The first rule of thumb I learned was:

Do not hit a thumb nail with the same force as you would use
to hit a wood nail.

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't..
That's why they have US open doors for them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

charlieb writes:

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1
Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely
away from sharp things, spinning or not.

No no no. That's not rule #1. The first rule of thumb I learned
was:

Do not hit a thumb nail with the same force as you would use
to hit a wood nail.

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't..
That's why they have US open doors for them..

Nahh, that's just exercising dominance over the lesser race. Cats are
quite capable of opening their own doors.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't..
That's why they have US open doors for them..

Nahh, that's just exercising dominance over the lesser race. Cats are
quite capable of opening their own doors.

As the old saying goes, dogs think they're human, cats think they're
gods :-).

Saw a neat rule today - Never play leapfrog with a unicorn :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

My first high school biology teacher had "laws":

Niwa's Law No. 1: Sharp things cut.
Niwa's Law No. 2: Hot things burn.

&tc.

I've tought my daughters Niwa's Laws. They grock.

-Zz

wrote:

Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http://
www.rulesofthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on
all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but
there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want
to put some of our wisdom up there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:23:04 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

wrote:

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't..
That's why they have US open doors for them..

Nahh, that's just exercising dominance over the lesser race. Cats are
quite capable of opening their own doors.

As the old saying goes, dogs think they're human, cats think they're
gods :-).

On my regular email sig:
To a dog you're family; to a cat you're staff.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:57:03 +0000, LRod
wrote:

To a dog you're family; to a cat you're staff.

Have any of you cat and/or dog owners with a sense of humor seen "Cats
and Dogs"?

http://catsanddogsmovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html

It explains a lot. G