Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repairing charred cabinet door

Hello,

I have a cabinet door that was slightly damaged in a fire. The door is only
blackened at the bottom and bottom part of the front of the door. The door
is intacted and in great condition considering. What would be the best way
to remove the black char and get it looking like it did before the fire?

Thanks,
Kyle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kyle" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a cabinet door that was slightly damaged in a fire. The door is
only blackened at the bottom and bottom part of the front of the door.
The door is intacted and in great condition considering. What would be
the best way to remove the black char and get it looking like it did
before the fire?

Thanks,
Kyle

It has to be planed or scraped away. How depends on how deep it is.
Sanding is probably not going to remove enough material but you can try it
if it seems superficial and only about 1/32" deep. If you have to take
more, a block plane would be a good start.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Kyle" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a cabinet door that was slightly damaged in a fire. The door is
only blackened at the bottom and bottom part of the front of the door.
The door is intacted and in great condition considering. What would be
the best way to remove the black char and get it looking like it did
before the fire?

Thanks,
Kyle

It has to be planed or scraped away. How depends on how deep it is.
Sanding is probably not going to remove enough material but you can try it
if it seems superficial and only about 1/32" deep. If you have to take
more, a block plane would be a good start.

Some of the door could easily be sanded as it is only a little blackened,
but I will also need a plan. A trip to Lowes will add one to my toolbox.
Is their something that I could use to clean the door? I don't want to use
water, but maybe mineral sprits, rubbing alcohol, or something?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:33:53 -0600, "Kyle" wrote:

Hello,

I have a cabinet door that was slightly damaged in a fire. The door is only
blackened at the bottom and bottom part of the front of the door. The door
is intacted and in great condition considering. What would be the best way
to remove the black char and get it looking like it did before the fire?

Thanks,
Kyle

Damn, my crystal ball is on the blink..

Help us out here.. is it a painted or natural finish door?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing