Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw blade drifts

I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:09:56 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:

I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

Jeff.. Unless you jammed the cardboard in a guide or something, I'd suspect the
blade, but I've never had one suddenly drift a lot.. it's usually a gradual
thing..

Check both wheels and all the guides for bits of cardboard and buy a box
cutter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 20, 9:09 pm, Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

Check tooth set? Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

Check all your adjustments and check in particular check where the blade is
tracking on the wheels. If the blade tracks too far forward or back on the
wheel it can drift more than normal. Running the saw can also decrease the
tension on the blade and allow it to go off center and or drift.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience
for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the
blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

First, check the guides and make sure that they're at the proper
clearance--some saws have enough free movement that raising or
lowering the guides can put pressure on the blade.

Second, were you sawing the same species before and after? My saw
tracks nice and straight in maple and walnut and douglas fir and
poplar but drifts all over the place in lyptus for example.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 10:17 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience
for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the
blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

First, check the guides and make sure that they're at the proper
clearance--some saws have enough free movement that raising or
lowering the guides can put pressure on the blade.

I don't think the guides moved. The blade is not touching them.

Second, were you sawing the same species before and after? My saw
tracks nice and straight in maple and walnut and douglas fir and
poplar but drifts all over the place in lyptus for example.

I was sawing plywood templates before and after. (Well, after it was
*attempts* at templates. The saw is currently unusable)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 9:47 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

Check all your adjustments and check in particular check where the blade is
tracking on the wheels. If the blade tracks too far forward or back on the
wheel it can drift more than normal. Running the saw can also decrease the
tension on the blade and allow it to go off center and or drift.

I checked tracking. The blade is right in the center of the top and
bottom wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:09:56 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:

I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

By chance did you happen to hit a staple while cutting up the cardboard?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 12:14 pm, Nova wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:09:56 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

By chance did you happen to hit a staple while cutting up the cardboard?

I thought I was careful but I'm beginning to think I did hit a staple.
Let's put it this way: If it's not the blade, then I have NO IDEA how
to correct this problem. Everything else seems fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Three most common causes of blade not tracking properly:

1. Blade too loose
2. Upper wheel not properly adjusted
3. Improperly adjusted blade support bearing

If none of those, then I'd try a new blade. Especially if it takes more
than normal effort to push the plywood through the blade when cutting..

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:36:15 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:

On Jan 21, 12:14 pm, Nova wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:09:56 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

By chance did you happen to hit a staple while cutting up the cardboard?

I thought I was careful but I'm beginning to think I did hit a staple.
Let's put it this way: If it's not the blade, then I have NO IDEA how
to correct this problem. Everything else seems fine.

In that case, I'd change the blade before changing a lot of setting on the saw..

Sort of like having a computer problem and reformatting your drive to try
solving it.. might have just been one little setting or something and it could
have been corrected without drastic methods..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 12:39 pm, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
Three most common causes of blade not tracking properly:

1. Blade too loose
2. Upper wheel not properly adjusted
3. Improperly adjusted blade support bearing

I don't know this term: "blade support bearing" do you mean the thrust
bearing, i.e., the bearing behind the blade?

If none of those, then I'd try a new blade. Especially if it takes more
than normal effort to push the plywood through the blade when cutting..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes.. Good luck..

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 12:39 pm, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
Three most common causes of blade not tracking properly:

1. Blade too loose
2. Upper wheel not properly adjusted
3. Improperly adjusted blade support bearing

I don't know this term: "blade support bearing" do you mean the thrust
bearing, i.e., the bearing behind the blade?

If none of those, then I'd try a new blade. Especially if it takes more
than normal effort to push the plywood through the blade when cutting..

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's the weird name Delta uses in its owner's manual.. Those were the three
causes, it listed and what I've gone by in the past..

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Yes.. Good luck..

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 12:39 pm, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
Three most common causes of blade not tracking properly:

1. Blade too loose
2. Upper wheel not properly adjusted
3. Improperly adjusted blade support bearing

I don't know this term: "blade support bearing" do you mean the thrust
bearing, i.e., the bearing behind the blade?

If none of those, then I'd try a new blade. Especially if it takes more
than normal effort to push the plywood through the blade when cutting..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default UPDATE: Bandsaw blade drifts

On Jan 20, 11:09 pm, Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

I changed the blade and my cuts were fine. Must've hit a stable.
There's probably a lesson here ... nah.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:57:27 -0800 (PST), Jeff wrote:

On Jan 20, 11:09 pm, Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

I changed the blade and my cuts were fine. Must've hit a stable.
There's probably a lesson here ... nah.

Jeff

Never pass up an opportunity to buy a new tool..

There must be an expensive cardboard cutting system out there..

Someone gave me a box cutter with a light... like I'm gonna be out somewhere in
the dark cutting boxes open??

Makes as much sense as drive-up ATMs having the Braille on them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

I changed the blade and my cuts were fine. Must've hit a stable.
There's probably a lesson here ... nah.

Jeff

Never pass up an opportunity to buy a new tool..

There must be an expensive cardboard cutting system out there..

There is, it's called a "bandsaw." See how well it worked with the
cardboard? It wasn't until the guy hit a stable that the thing stopped
working. I'd stop working too if I hit a stable. Poor animals...

Someone gave me a box cutter with a light... like I'm gonna be out
somewhere in the dark cutting boxes open??

I'd prefer a lantern myself, but then again I don't go sneaking around at
night cutting boxes.

Makes as much sense as drive-up ATMs having the Braille on them..

You can still walk up to them.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Ow. Ow. Ah... that's better.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote in
reenews.net:

There is, it's called a "bandsaw." See how well it worked with the
cardboard?

What, you're supposed to cut bands with it? Actually, very specialized
bandsaws are used in commercial bakeries to slice bread just before its
bagged up. And you know they're used in butcher shops too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Ken is offline

don't rule out the cause ,to be the cardboard, it is very abrasive.
use a box knife next time.

KK

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 11:09 pm, Jeff wrote:
I suspect I need a new blade but I figured I'd post my experience for
input. This morning my bandsaw blade was tracking fine. Later I cut
some cardboard for the trash. Immediately after that, my blade
starting drifting to the right. The second I touch wood to the blade,
it starts to drift. Generally this is a sign of a bad blade but the
change in behavior was immediate and I'm hard pressed to think that
cardboard damaged the blade. It appears to be properly aligned. Any
thoughts?

Jeff

I changed the blade and my cuts were fine. Must've hit a stable.
There's probably a lesson here ... nah.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:06:58 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

don't rule out the cause ,to be the cardboard, it is very abrasive.
use a box knife next time.

KK

Or a plasma cutter.. that might be cool... ;~)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:06:58 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

don't rule out the cause ,to be the cardboard, it is very abrasive.
use a box knife next time.

KK

Or a plasma cutter.. that might be cool... ;~)

mac

How about a water jet?

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Jan 2008 21:28:47 GMT, Puckdropper wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:06:58 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

don't rule out the cause ,to be the cardboard, it is very abrasive.
use a box knife next time.

KK

Or a plasma cutter.. that might be cool... ;~)

mac

How about a water jet?

Puckdropper

Hmmm... wouldn't you end up with soggy cardboard?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote in
:

On 22 Jan 2008 21:28:47 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
m:

wrote:

don't rule out the cause ,to be the cardboard, it is very abrasive.
use a box knife next time.

KK

Or a plasma cutter.. that might be cool... ;~)

mac

How about a water jet?

Puckdropper

Hmmm... wouldn't you end up with soggy cardboard?

mac

Not if you keep the stream of water tight enough. There just wouldn't
be time for the cardboard to get wet.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 11:09 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I've always had the "drive up ATMs with Braille" thing explained to me
as being for blind people who are riding in taxis or being driven
around. They shouldn't be expected to just give their card and PIN to
some random person, so they just ride in the back behind the driver
and do their thing like any other passenger.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

Or braille on the emergency door of an airplane....

Makes as much sense as drive-up ATMs having the Braille on them..

Bandsaw blade help Chris Woodworking 5 December 2nd 07 10:19 AM
Wandering bandsaw blade Cap'n 321 Woodworking 4 May 24th 06 12:45 PM
bad bandsaw blade???????? Derstine Metalworking 3 January 30th 06 07:00 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM
Bandsaw Blade Zipper Metalworking 6 April 11th 05 05:31 PM