Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry question

I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodbutcher nospam.woodbutcher.com took a can of maroon spray paint on
January 16, 2008 05:11 pm and wrote the following:

I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

Paint it.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"woodbutcher" nospam.woodbutcher.com wrote in message
I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

Butcher,

How about fast-aging the cherry so you don't have to guess what color to
stain the maple. I know there's some tried and true methods out there...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...q=aging+cherry

Good luck and don't forget to post the pics

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodbutcher" wrote:

I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I

fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained

case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't

want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

IMHO, trying to stain maple sucks.

Ever consider contrasting cherry and maple?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:11:24 -0500, woodbutcher
nospam.woodbutcher.com wrote:

I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained case
work won't. Am I correct?

If you apply finish to only some areas and not the others, it won't
look uniform, ever. Apply (cherry) stain to all parts.

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

The logical (and frugal) choice: Make it out of maple ply. Maple is
a beautiful wood, although not currently in vogue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodbutcher" nospam.woodbutcher.com wrote in message
I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

Often a stark contrast looks much better than an attempted match that
doesn't quite match. I would advise finding a different color wood that
goes well with Cherry, such as Walnut, and or Maple and stain your Maple to
match that wood rather than Cherry. If you choose Maple no matching is
necessary. If you decide on Walnut you can be way off on the Walnut color
and it will still look fine.

Or get a job and then do the job the way you want when you can afford it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 6:30 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"woodbutcher" wrote:
I want to build a home office setup.

I have tons of maple ply. But I want to build a cherry piece.

If I do the face frames and doors in cherry and stain the maple I

fear
that over time the cherry will age and darken and the maple stained

case
work won't. Am I correct?

Cherry ply is twice the price and I am unemployed now so I don't

want to
purchase any more wood. Any suggestions?

IMHO, trying to stain maple sucks.

Ever consider contrasting cherry and maple?

I like Lew's idea. Cherry and maple go great together. Take some time
to design the piece. Colored pencils should help you get feel for the
finished project. You might even consider thin walnut strips to
accentuate the differences. Walnut would also make great plugs if you
like that kind of look. Kick it around. It doesn't sound like you're
going into production with this piece so why not push your creativity?

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about fast-aging the cherry so you don't have to guess what color to
stain the maple. *I know there's some tried and true methods out there....

1 tsp of red devil lye to one quart of water does a beautiful job
though I am a fan of cherry/maple combinations too.

Daryl
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 7:34 pm, Jeff wrote:
I like Lew's idea. Cherry and maple go great together.

That was my first thought too. I've never had good luck trying to
match different species with stain, but I've liked the pieces where I
used contrasting woods and no stain at all. In my own opinion you'll
never get them exactly the same but it's easy to get them to
complement each other.

It's probably not relevant but I feel I should quote my wife's
reaction when she laid eyes on our granddaughter's cherry cradle after
its first coat of clear satin ArmrSeal: "THAT'S the color I was
looking for when we stained that maple nightstand you made for me!"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:34 pm, Jeff wrote:
I like Lew's idea. Cherry and maple go great together.

That was my first thought too. I've never had good luck trying to
match different species with stain, but I've liked the pieces where I
used contrasting woods and no stain at all. In my own opinion you'll
never get them exactly the same but it's easy to get them to
complement each other.

It's probably not relevant but I feel I should quote my wife's
reaction when she laid eyes on our granddaughter's cherry cradle after
its first coat of clear satin ArmrSeal: "THAT'S the color I was
looking for when we stained that maple nightstand you made for me!"

How's your tongue? I imagine you were biting it pretty hard right about
then.

I've heard that comment as well, I can empathize.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , FrozenNorth