DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Central Machinery table saw? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/22999-central-machinery-table-saw.html)

Phil Crow November 3rd 03 10:59 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

When I looked at

the price was $40 with no bids and less than one day on the auction.
It would seem that the 2hp motor alone would be worth considerably
more than $40. What gives? Do they have a huge 'handling' fee?

Thanks for the insight.

-Phil Crow

GTO69RA4 November 3rd 03 11:23 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

Several reasons it's so cheap. Auction is terrible and lacks a decent
description, it's a generic saw sold under a low-end importer's brand, it's
missing parts, and you'd have to be in the area to make it worthwhile without
shipping.

GTO(John)

Wood Butcher November 3rd 03 11:57 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

And nowhere does he state that the motor works. Or even
turns freely by hand.
His "warrantee" pretty much says it all.

Art

Andy Dingley November 4th 03 12:32 AM

On 3 Nov 2003 14:59:10 -0800, (Phil Crow) wrote:

It would seem that the 2hp motor alone would be worth considerably
more than $40.

That's those itty-bitty shetland horsepower ? That motor looks like
a one horse with an optimistic rating plate. It also doesn't look like
a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled), which is pretty much entry-level
for a decent saw.

So if it's on your doorstep, drive over and pick up a bargain. But
personally I don't bid on things weighing over a couple of pounds that
don't list shipping costs. Got stung once, for three times the price
of the item - turned out the guy was in Thailand !

T. November 4th 03 12:54 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

Mon, Nov 3, 2003, 2:59pm (EST-3) (Phil=A0Crow)
When I looked at snip

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about if it runs,
anything come with it, etc. I'm just figuring it's used.

Did you check the other items he's selling? Definitely some first
class merchandise.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=3D315 2=
979949

JOAT
My aim is to get through life peacefully, with as little interferrnce
from human beings as possible.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 3 Nov 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

T. November 4th 03 01:01 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

Tue, Nov 4, 2003, 12:32am (EST+5)
(Andy=A0Dingley) says:
snip But personally I don't bid on things weighing over a couple of
pounds that don't list shipping costs. Got stung once, for three times
the price of the item - turned out the guy was in Thailand !

Not a problem about bidding with no shipping costs listed. Trick
is, you have to ask what the shipping is - and get an answer back -
before any bid. I've been able to get some very decent shipping rates
that way. And also passed up any number of items, because of excessive
shipping costs. Some people seem to want to make their profit on the
shipping. Check the shipping costs on those cheap electric hand planes
listed for about $10. I've seen shipping cost run from about $6 to as
much as $39. I only bid on one, and got outbid, but my bid was only
about $12, and shipping was about $6.

Greg O November 4th 03 02:39 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
When I looked at

the price was $40 with no bids and less than one day on the auction.
It would seem that the 2hp motor alone would be worth considerably
more than $40. What gives? Do they have a huge 'handling' fee?

Thanks for the insight.

-Phil Crow

Looks a little scary. Does the motor run? No fence, no blade insert, one
wing missing, freight to go it home, unless you are close enough to drive
it. To many questions for a saw you can get delivered to your door for less
than $340 new!
I would pass, seems everyone is!
Greg

kb8qlr November 4th 03 03:31 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

Don't look like much to me either.

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
Mon, Nov 3, 2003, 2:59pm (EST-3) (Phil Crow)

T. November 4th 03 07:06 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

Mon, Nov 3, 2003, 2:59pm (EST-3) (Phil=A0Crow) says:
snip price was $40 with no bids snip

Just over an hour to go, and still no bids.

I live not too far from Cary, so asked the seller a few questions.
He says it runs, is setup for 220, no fence, manuals, etc., just what
you see, which is just the saw. Oh yeah, and you can pick it up, and
they'll load it for you, no charge. If I didn't have a saw, and had 220
in my shop, I might still pass on it, but, being in the area, I'd at
least take a look.

Phil Crow November 4th 03 10:10 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

(T.) wrote in message ...

Snip

but, being in the area, I'd at
least take a look.

JOAT
My aim is to get through life peacefully, with as little interferrnce
from human beings as possible.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 3 Nov 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Well, damn, it's a hell of a drive from Cleveland.

-Phil Crow

T. November 4th 03 11:46 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

Tue, Nov 4, 2003, 2:10pm (EST-3) (Phil=A0Crow) says:
Well, damn, it's a hell of a drive from Cleveland.

Damn. I was sure I'd made it clear enough for everyone to
understand. I was talking about me, that if I needed a saw, I'd look at
it, because I'm in the area. You don't have a brother named Dave, do
you? LOL

Greg O November 5th 03 04:25 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

Geez, goofy computers/servers,whatever!
I sent the first post yesterday, but it did not show tonight, so I resent
it. I check two minutes later and they are BOTH here!
Greg

Mark & Juanita November 5th 03 05:20 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

In article ,
says...
Geez, goofy computers/servers,whatever!
I sent the first post yesterday, but it did not show tonight, so I resent
it. I check two minutes later and they are BOTH here!
Greg

Second message probably pushed the second one out of the pipe in which
it was stuck. ;-)

November 5th 03 01:15 PM

Greg O wrote:

Geez, goofy computers/servers,whatever!
I sent the first post yesterday, but it did not show tonight, so I resent
it. I check two minutes later and they are BOTH here!

FWIW, despite being dated a more than a day earlier, your 1st copy was
seen by the newsserver I use less than 20 minutes before the 2nd one.

It can take a few minutes for a message to actually be accepted by the
server, after you 'send' it,

I'm guessing you may have disconnected 'too soon', after writing the 1st
message, and it finally went through when you reconnected.

Chris Merrill November 5th 03 04:57 PM

Greg O wrote:
I would pass, seems everyone is!

Well, just to satisfy everyone's curiosity...I'm the one who bought it!

I called the guy...he said the motor runs fine. The place is only
15 minutes from me...so pickup is no problem. I don't need a TS, just
a 2HP motor to build a cyclone dust collector. $40 is not a bad price.

I'll likely take the rest of the saw to our local woodworkers tool auction
later this month...with a starting bid of $1. If it doesn't sell, it'll go
to the dump. But I'll bet it sells for at least $10...which gets me a
2hp motor for $30.

My thanks go out to Phil for posting it!

Chris

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Greg O November 5th 03 11:42 PM

Central Machinery table saw?

"Chris Merrill" wrote in message
. com...
Greg O wrote:
I would pass, seems everyone is!

Well, just to satisfy everyone's curiosity...I'm the one who bought it!

I called the guy...he said the motor runs fine. The place is only
15 minutes from me...so pickup is no problem. I don't need a TS, just
a 2HP motor to build a cyclone dust collector. $40 is not a bad price.

I'll likely take the rest of the saw to our local woodworkers tool auction
later this month...with a starting bid of $1. If it doesn't sell, it'll

go
to the dump. But I'll bet it sells for at least $10...which gets me a
2hp motor for $30.

My thanks go out to Phil for posting it!

Chris

Well there you go! I suppose it is not too bad of a price for a motor, but
Harbor Freight has a two HP motor, regular price $59, with free freight, I
wonder if it was worth the rouble! $20 more would have got you a new motor,
with warranty, delivered to your door.
Greg

[email protected] November 6th 03 12:05 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:57:49 GMT, Chris Merrill
wrote:

Greg O wrote:
I would pass, seems everyone is!

Well, just to satisfy everyone's curiosity...I'm the one who bought it!

I called the guy...he said the motor runs fine. The place is only
15 minutes from me...so pickup is no problem. I don't need a TS, just
a 2HP motor to build a cyclone dust collector. $40 is not a bad price.

I'll likely take the rest of the saw to our local woodworkers tool auction
later this month...with a starting bid of $1. If it doesn't sell, it'll go
to the dump. But I'll bet it sells for at least $10...which gets me a
2hp motor for $30.

My thanks go out to Phil for posting it!

Chris

I used my old delta tablesaw to mount my grinders and jigs on. the
motor was burt so i removed all the mechanics and drillled the top and
taped the holes. my wet grinder is on one side and the slow speed
grinder on the other. mounted the wolverine jig also. makes a real
nice sharpening setup. skeez

Bob Davis November 6th 03 06:17 AM

Central Machinery table saw?

I've never seen a dual voltage motor that really produced 2 hp, especially
with an automotive style v-belt. Maybe its one of those old "peak
horsepower" ratings.

Bob