Posted to rec.woodworking

Default countertop options

I'm putting together a low-budget kitchen counter and cabinets for my shop.
This is a separately framed area within the shop with heating, carpets,
bathroom, library, billiard table etc. I just hung the cabinets and set the
base cabinets. I got them all from craigslist for $ 30. Also picked up a
stainless steel sink w/ faucet for $ 5.

Anyway, my choices are to buy an 8 foot piece of countertop from the box
store, or, build one myself using plastic laminate.

Question: What are my options for the transition between the back of the
countertop and the backsplash? A sharp 90° corner would catch crap and be
hard to clean. Can I radius the laminate? What radius? Any other options?
Maybe buying the countertop is the best?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 5:30*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
I'm putting together a low-budget kitchen counter and cabinets for my shop..
This is a separately framed area within the shop with heating, carpets,
bathroom, library, billiard table etc. *I just hung the cabinets and set the
base cabinets. *I got them all from craigslist for $ 30. * Also picked up a
stainless steel sink w/ faucet for $ 5.

Anyway, my choices are to buy an 8 foot piece of countertop from the box
store, or, build one myself using plastic laminate.

Question: *What are my options for the transition between the back of the
countertop and the backsplash? *A sharp 90° corner would catch crap and be
hard to clean. *Can I radius the laminate? *What radius? *Any other options?
Maybe buying the countertop is the best?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

I do countertops for a living, Ivan. For minimal work and minimal
investment, I suggest a 'post-formed' countertop.
That is the kind with the back-splash already attached. Those types
have an inside radius, something the basic home-owner couldn't do. (It
takes a hot-wire machine.)
Most lumber yards will make them to order.
Also, try a Habitat for Humaity recycling depot. That's where I drop
off a lot of mine.

HTH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe buying the countertop is the best?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

I do countertops for a living, Ivan. For minimal work and minimal
investment, I suggest a 'post-formed' countertop.
That is the kind with the back-splash already attached. Those types
have an inside radius, something the basic home-owner couldn't do. (It
takes a hot-wire machine.)
Most lumber yards will make them to order.
Also, try a Habitat for Humaity recycling depot. That's where I drop
off a lot of mine.

HTH

Thanks for the sage reply Robatoy. I will follow your advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Help with granite countertop John M Home Repair 1 September 7th 06 01:16 PM
Custom Countertop Hogwild Home Repair 1 February 23rd 06 01:14 AM
is Ker 121 ok for countertop tile? frankg Home Repair 1 October 1st 05 10:29 PM
Countertop refinishing ZsaZsa Home Repair 24 February 9th 05 06:22 PM
Wood Bar Countertop Construction Options Jim Woodworking 3 October 15th 04 06:40 AM