Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Domino thread -

Some time ago, I had a few hand powertools stolen out of the garage. One
thing I never replaced was my PC plate joiner. For small to medium
blanks, I figured I could get by with a router slot cutter if needed (a
bit sloppy for me) - or nothing.

Works well enough for those smaller projects, but I've never been too
satisfied with my results - always some alignment issues - but nothing a
#7 can't resolve. However, for my dining room table project, I'm tempted
to get something to help with alignment for the glue up.

Certainly I could glue one section up at a time - and am half tempted to
go that route given the visibility of the project. I've also been
investigating the Dowelmax - which looks to be a great thing. If it were
even just $200, I'd pull the trigger. But it's $270 base - over $350 for
the 1/4" guides. Given what I've read, could be an "every project" type
tool... Even at $350 - I'd go that route before getting another plate
joiner.

Given the price though, it's 1/2 of a Domino - another ungodly expensive
tool. Mix in the price of an FMT (which has called to me for years) - I
could get Dowelmax ($350) for now - and FMT ($600-700) when the chair
project comes around after the table...

Struggling a bit with the options. I've learned to wait till the need
dictates a purchase - and buy once. "Speed" isn't really a selling point
to be honest with you - I don't mind being in the shop woodworking.
Flexibility and strength in my joinery are the top criteria.

Seen a few postings that seem to indicate that the Domino makes
everything else obsolete. Yet the cynic in me thinks this is similar to
a new restraunt that opens up - the hottest thing for a while - and then
is just another place to eat.

Eh, back to the research....