Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Constructing wooden gears

My uncle wants to make some wooden gears as used before the days of metal. I
haven't had any luck googling and I gave it a hard try.

The project includes powering the gear train with a hit and miss engine to
show at an old engine show from what I gather.

Anyone have suggestions on resources?

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 3:07 pm, Wes wrote:
My uncle wants to make some wooden gears as used before the days of metal. I
haven't had any luck googling and I gave it a hard try.

The project includes powering the gear train with a hit and miss engine to
show at an old engine show from what I gather.

Anyone have suggestions on resources?

Take a look at http://www.clockplans.com/

If that doesn't tickle your uncle's fancy, google "wooden clocks" and
you'll find a bunch of others. I know of no current wooden gear makers
that aren't doing clocks.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 3:07 pm, Wes wrote:
My uncle wants to make some wooden gears as used before the days of metal. I
haven't had any luck googling and I gave it a hard try.

The project includes powering the gear train with a hit and miss engine to
show at an old engine show from what I gather.

Anyone have suggestions on resources?

Ask the engineering groups about tooth profile. Efficient
cogs are designed to roll against each other to reduce
friction.

Materials -- laminated cherry is stable and wears well.
American clockmaker Eli Terry used solid cherry and
produced clocks that ran accurately for 100+ years.