GTO69RA4

Default Get to know your Sears OEM companies

Talked to a guy today who had in turn talked to some Sears parts guys. They
told him that Sears will now only be carrying parts for future power tools up
to 5 years. Existing parts support will not be changed that way.

Better find out who made any Sears stuff you have.

GTO(John)

Edwin Pawlowski

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Talked to a guy today who had in turn talked to some Sears parts guys.

They
told him that Sears will now only be carrying parts for future power

tools
up
to 5 years. Existing parts support will not be changed that way.

Better find out who made any Sears stuff you have.

That assumes that the OEM will still support the tool. Given the way new
models come out every year it is difficult to carry every part too long.
Given the way people toss tools instead of repairing them, it makes little
sense to stock much.
Ed

Lazarus Long

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:38:04 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Given the way people toss tools instead of repairing them, it makes little
sense to stock much.
Ed

IMHO, this is sad. Things *should* be repairable. I wish the
environmental crowd would pile onto the "everything is disposable"
issue instead of screaming endlessly about some other things. Imagine
if things WERE made to be repairable and didn't end up in landfills.
Mt. Trashmore wouldn't grow as fast.

I just hate that so much is disposable.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Lazarus Long"

IMHO, this is sad. Things *should* be repairable. I wish the
environmental crowd would pile onto the "everything is disposable"
issue instead of screaming endlessly about some other things. Imagine
if things WERE made to be repairable and didn't end up in landfills.
Mt. Trashmore wouldn't grow as fast.

I just hate that so much is disposable.

Often things can be repaired, but are just too expensive to do so. You can
buy a household iron for $13. How much time can a serviceman put into it to
make a repair worthwhile?
We demand cheap prices, we demand the latest technology, thus, repairs are
not feasible.

Another is stupid design. I have a broken part on my car (heater for the
seat). It should probably cost $20 if replaced by itself, but no, it is part
of a $550 assembly that must be replaced. Make sense? I'm going to the
regional office to see if I can get some help from GM.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Lazarus Long

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:07:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Lazarus Long"

IMHO, this is sad. Things *should* be repairable.
I just hate that so much is disposable.

Another is stupid design. I have a broken part on my car (heater for the
seat). It should probably cost $20 if replaced by itself, but no, it is part
of a $550 assembly that must be replaced. Make sense? I'm going to the
regional office to see if I can get some help from GM.
Ed

This is definitely one of the things I mean.
Greg O

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Talked to a guy today who had in turn talked to some Sears parts guys.

They
told him that Sears will now only be carrying parts for future power tools

up
to 5 years. Existing parts support will not be changed that way.

Better find out who made any Sears stuff you have.

GTO(John)

No problem, just don't buy any tools with tails from Sears. Screwdrivers,
hammers, wrenches, fine. But I will not buy a high priced power tool with
the Sears name on the side.
Greg

Specter

How do you figure out who made what for Sears? Is the serial number any kind
of clue?

Rob

GTO69RA4

The prefix of the model number shows who made it. 315 is Ryobi, 917 is AYP,
etc.

GTO(John)

How do you figure out who made what for Sears? Is the serial number any kind
of clue?

Rob

Specter

So my wife's sewing machine wasn't made by Ryobi - good!

Is there an on-line reference anywhere that matches all the Sears code
numbers to their corresponding OEM supplier. I seem to recall stumbling
across such a site once, but I'll be darned if I can locate it now. TIA.

Rob

---------------

"GTO69RA4" wrote ...
The prefix of the model number shows who made it. 315 is Ryobi, 917 is

AYP,
etc.

GTO69RA4

There are lots of different pages with numbers lists. They usually turn up with
lots of Google searching.

Here's one of the more comprehensive lists that's been compiled:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ht&th=dcf776f5
d7eb7f9e&seekm=38ab6609%40news.mho.net#s

Watch out for the text wrap.

GTO(John)

So my wife's sewing machine wasn't made by Ryobi - good!

Is there an on-line reference anywhere that matches all the Sears code
numbers to their corresponding OEM supplier. I seem to recall stumbling
across such a site once, but I'll be darned if I can locate it now. TIA.

Rob

Mike Iglesias

In article jEXmb.191893$9l5.174666@pd7tw2no,
Specter wrote:
So my wife's sewing machine wasn't made by Ryobi - good!

Is there an on-line reference anywhere that matches all the Sears code
numbers to their corresponding OEM supplier. I seem to recall stumbling
across such a site once, but I'll be darned if I can locate it now. TIA.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

http://www.oldwwmachines.com/Craftsm...ers-Prefix.asp

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
GTO69RA4

Depends on the tool. Most of the tailed stuff they sell is crap, but some of
the Industrial or Professional tools are DeWalt or Bosch. Good value on the
used market because the Craftsman name drops the price through the floor.

GTO(John)

No problem, just don't buy any tools with tails from Sears. Screwdrivers,
hammers, wrenches, fine. But I will not buy a high priced power tool with
the Sears name on the side.
Greg

Mark & Juanita

In article , gto69ra4
@aol.com says...
Talked to a guy today who had in turn talked to some Sears parts guys. They
told him that Sears will now only be carrying parts for future power tools up
to 5 years. Existing parts support will not be changed that way.

Better find out who made any Sears stuff you have.

That's easy. Nobody. (at least any Sears stuff I would consider
having fixed) ;-)

Somebody had to say it.

GTO(John)