Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy for repairing rotted wood

I'm looking for the epoxy they used to repair a window sill on an Ask
TOH episode. Tom Silva was using a large two part epoxy dispenser
similar to a caulking gun. You squeeze the trigger and the plungers
depress, squeezing out equal parts of the resin and hardener.

Any ideas?
thanks
jp
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

I'm looking for the epoxy they used to repair a window sill on an

Ask
TOH episode.

Mix your own.

Buy a small epoxy kit with slow hardener from West, Raka, System3,
etc.

MIx small batches, then thicken with microballoons.

Apply with a popcicle stick.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 10, 8:21 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm looking for the epoxy they used to repair a window sill on an Ask
TOH episode. Tom Silva was using a large two part epoxy dispenser
similar to a caulking gun. You squeeze the trigger and the plungers
depress, squeezing out equal parts of the resin and hardener.

Any ideas?

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...oxy/epoxy.html
About half way down the page.

If you're doing a lot of small repairs they make sense, but I still
like the one-push pump dispensers that fit into the regular cans and
jugs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm looking for the epoxy they used to repair a window sill on an Ask
TOH episode. Tom Silva was using a large two part epoxy dispenser
similar to a caulking gun. You squeeze the trigger and the plungers
depress, squeezing out equal parts of the resin and hardener.

Any ideas?
thanks
jp

JP:

It's not Silva's concoction but I just got through repairing some wood with
Bondo's wood filler
putty and am not only very satisfied with the results now but with the
durability of repairs made
over a decade earlier. It is not expensive if you get it in the gallon can
at the Borg. On hot days,
cut back on the hardener.
On cold days,
keep the can inside and put the catalyst in a moistened towel heated in the
microwave to speed
kickoff. Timing the kickoff is the hardest part of working with the material
since you are usually not mixing
uniform amounts. The more you mix, the greater your practical chance of
losing part of the pot before you
can apply it. Surform shaping can only be done early in the hardening phase.
After that, its aggressive
sanding. A marine person who uses this said it was resin and talc, the talc
giving body to the mix
against creep.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Dec, 01:21, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm looking for the epoxy they used to repair a window sill

What for? To fill a hole, or to consolidate remaining softened wood.

Small hole filling: West System epoxy thickened with microballoons

Big hole filling: Car body filler, like P38 and probably styrene
based. Cheaper than epoxy, and equally strong in bulk if not so
adhesive. For areas that are going to carry hinge attachment loads
etc., use the versions with filling fibres too.

Consolidation: An extra-thin styrene resin, sold for rot treatment
like this. Investigate simple vacuum bagging techniques to dry things
out first and to improve penetration.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Advance Repair products are good. Learn more about wood-epoxy
repairs:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw...JEpoxy2004.htm

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw...poxy%20Repairs