PJ

Default a.b.p.w

The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any free
access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup available? I've done
some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

Thanks,
PJ

Mark Jerde

PJ wrote:
The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any
free access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup
available? I've done some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty sloooowwww.

-- Mark

PJ

http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Has this been reliable for you? I wonder how they can keep in business (and
how long they've been in business) only charging $3.95 for potentially
expensive servers.

PJ

Mark Jerde

PJ wrote:
http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty
sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Has this been reliable for you? I wonder how they can keep in
business (and how long they've been in business) only charging $3.95
for potentially expensive servers.

I've had them as my secondary (backup) newsserver for years. I signed up
before there was even a charge for the free accounts. g I'm posting this
message from teranews because it always works sending. I haven't figured
out why, but my large ISP's newserver, verizon.net, often has problems
sending.

Teranews makes money on people who need more bandwidth (50MB/day ?) than the
free accounts allow. I suppose if one is into internet movies the free
account is rather limiting. ;-) They must have enough paying customers
because they've been around IIRC since before the .com explosion and
implosion.

-- Mark

DJ Delorie

"PJ" writes:
The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any free
access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup available? I've done
some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

If you just want the pictures, http://www.delorie.com/wood/ (bottom of
that page).

Pounds on Wood

I second the motion for Teranews. Just like Mark, I signed up before the
initiation fee. I use it when I'm at work since my home ISP uses IP
addresses to authenticate. It gets so slow that it can be unusable during
my lunch hour, so I guess I'm not the only one goofing off at work.

Oh, when it is slow, I have had problems with sending. The message can just
disappear.

But in spite of the above, I recommend it and use it. One good thing, the
binaries are on separate servers and don't seem to be overloaded like the
text server.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
s.com...
PJ wrote:
The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any
free access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup
available? I've done some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Shawn

They've been around for quite a while. Actually, their free account
($3.95 setup fee) may be fine for you to just read the Wreck. Start
there and you can always upgrade (it's the high volume accounts where
they make their money), but all levels are pretty reasonable.

Shawn

PJ wrote:
http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Has this been reliable for you? I wonder how they can keep in business (and
how long they've been in business) only charging $3.95 for potentially
expensive servers.

PJ

Greg O

"PJ" wrote in message
http://www.teranews.com/

There's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty

sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Has this been reliable for you? I wonder how they can keep in business

(and
how long they've been in business) only charging $3.95 for potentially
expensive servers.

PJ

For a while I was with a ISP that did lousy NG service. I had a free
Teranews account, and decided to try their pay per month account. The
deference was night and day! If you want groups and can afford the $8.95 a
month, the pay servers rock!
Greg

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:01:25 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

For a while I was with a ISP that did lousy NG service. I had a free
Teranews account, and decided to try their pay per month account. The
deference was night and day! If you want groups and can afford the $8.95 a
month, the pay servers rock!

Me too !

I've been with Nildram as an ISP, who offer a broadband service that
works pretty well, and usenet that doesn't. They had two usenets; a
bought-in feed from Supernews (great, but always busy) and an in-house
server that was useless. As of a couple of days ago, I'm paying
$6/month for a full-blown Supernews and it's wonderful. I can post to
moderated groups again, the speed is good, but best of all it's
reliable and I don;t have to fool with my system's config on a daily
basis.

Kevin French

"PJ" wrote:

The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any free
access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup available? I've done
some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

Thanks,
PJ

http://www.fuper.com/

You have to wade through the porn but at the bottom of the list is ABPW
it also free

Kevin