Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how to mount timber mantel

I'm thinking about making a rustic timber fireplace mantel, and
mounting it to my stone fireplace wall. I've seen a number of examples
of this type of idea on the web, but no good articles that discuss how
to mount it. Either with or without corbels. I'm just looking for
ideas right now. I have found a number of articles that discuss how
to mount a mantel shelf, but that won't really apply to a timber beam.
Can anyone point me to a good article on this?

Thanks,

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 11:14 pm, cbodnar wrote:
I'm thinking about making a rustic timber fireplace mantel, and
mounting it to my stone fireplace wall. I've seen a number of examples
of this type of idea on the web, but no good articles that discuss how
to mount it. Either with or without corbels. I'm just looking for
ideas right now. I have found a number of articles that discuss how
to mount a mantel shelf, but that won't really apply to a timber beam.
Can anyone point me to a good article on this?

Thanks,

Chris

If you can mortise a french cleat into the back it would be very
strong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 7:34 am, RayV wrote:
On Nov 30, 11:14 pm, cbodnar wrote:

I'm thinking about making a rustic timber fireplace mantel, and
mounting it to my stone fireplace wall. I've seen a number of examples
of this type of idea on the web, but no good articles that discuss how
to mount it. Either with or without corbels. I'm just looking for
ideas right now. I have found a number of articles that discuss how
to mount a mantel shelf, but that won't really apply to a timber beam.
Can anyone point me to a good article on this?

Thanks,

Chris

If you can mortise a french cleat into the back it would be very
strong.

Sounds interesting. But I'm wondering how you would make that mortise
in the back of a timber? A regular mortise, no problem, it's how you
make that upward 45 degree angle that has me guessing.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 12:35 pm, cbodnar wrote:
On Dec 1, 7:34 am, RayV wrote:

On Nov 30, 11:14 pm, cbodnar wrote:

I'm thinking about making a rustic timber fireplace mantel, and
mounting it to my stone fireplace wall. I've seen a number of examples
of this type of idea on the web, but no good articles that discuss how
to mount it. Either with or without corbels. I'm just looking for
ideas right now. I have found a number of articles that discuss how
to mount a mantel shelf, but that won't really apply to a timber beam.
Can anyone point me to a good article on this?

Thanks,

Chris

If you can mortise a french cleat into the back it would be very
strong.

Sounds interesting. But I'm wondering how you would make that mortise
in the back of a timber? A regular mortise, no problem, it's how you
make that upward 45 degree angle that has me guessing.

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Make a regular mortise wide enough for both cleats and clearance for
them to pass. Screw one to the wall and one inside the mortise in the
timber.

Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards [email protected] UK diy 30 October 12th 07 10:15 AM
Advice for veneering a mantel brandom11 Woodworking 8 November 29th 06 01:15 AM
What Finish for Mantel? Art Greenberg Woodworking 1 April 25th 06 04:10 PM
Mantel designs PVR Home Repair 3 January 16th 06 03:43 AM
Fireplace Mantel Clearances Home Home Repair 0 January 21st 04 03:55 AM