Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Baby vs. Mini drum Sander

On Nov 27, 9:59 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Uncle Billy" wrote in message

Anybody have any recommendations on choosing between the Grizzly G0459
12" Baby Drum Sander and the Jet (Performax) 628900 Mini 10" Benchtop
Drum Sander?

I know that many will recommend a bigger better sander, but money and
space dictate one of the smaller, cheaper ones.

TIA

UB.

Then wait until you can afford one and a place to put it.

I was kind of bowled over by the answer "Then wait until you can
afford one and a place to put it.". Are small scale hobbyists no
longer part of the community? Or those of us on a budget? I don't
think waiting until we are retired or financially capable of our dream
shop in respect to tools or facilities. Personally, I only have about
18 by 16 feet of space to work with and I try to buy the best tools I
can afford, but there are times that I have to compromise. I sure as
hell don't plan to just stop because you don't feel that doing this on
a limited budget or in a small shop is wrong.

That said, Unk, I don't have one either and I do not own any Jet or
Grizzly tools (though I guess my Powermatic tools might qualify as
Jet). I would think either would be fine, though you might find some
deals locally on the Jet that would save you $75.00 on shipping.