Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design Challenge

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:32:41 -0800, "Roger Woehl" wrote:

I have been designing furniture and other wood projects for many years.
Usually I draw out the plans and then proceed to make the cuts and
adjustments as needed. I am at the point where I feel my project designs
are not very challenging or creative. I am curious if any of you use any
particular methodology to get your creative design juices flowing. How do
you stretch your imaginations to take a traditional idea and make it unique,
eye catching and interesting? What is it about a project design that causes
the observer to look at it with wonder?

Roger

Well, most of my techniques for that are illegal now.. *g*

I find that just browsing the web or magazines can spark something..

I'm mostly a turner, so my examples would be the AWW magazine and
rec.crafts.woodturning... Something good, bad or ugly will trigger an idea or
"vision" for a project..
The one's that I like best are the ideas that might work or might not... IMO if
you're not taking a chance on failing, you're not expanding/growing in your
work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing