Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Boats

http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

I've never seen any of these. They must have all ben surpressed by
politicians. Probably. Whoever makes one first, be sure to post
pictures.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 6:27 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

I've never seen any of these. They must have all ben surpressed by
politicians. Probably. Whoever makes one first, be sure to post
pictures.

I haven't freelanced for Pop. Science in something close over 20
years, but back then, and for decades earlier, they were known as the
"What's New" magazine. In the '30s, '40s (when I first started reading
Gus's Garage and other articles) and '50s, it was more of a What's
Coming (Maybe) magazine.

I'm not sure what it is now, as I stopped reading when they stopped
publishing any appreciable DIY material.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 6:27 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

I've never seen any of these. They must have all ben surpressed by
politicians. Probably. Whoever makes one first, be sure to post
pictures.

What? You mean you _don't_ have a five-pontoon-cylinder boat driven
by a 500 HP engine driving an airplane propellor?! That's just not
right. I think we should take up a collection to help the man
out...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 12:19 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
J T wrote:
Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 4:57am (EST-3) (Charlie
Self)
doth sayeth:
snip but back then, and for decades earlier, they were known as
the
"What's New" magazine. In the '30s, '40s (when I first started
reading
Gus's Garage and other articles) and '50s, it was more of a What's
Coming (Maybe) magazine. snip

Loved those articles whenever I could get ahold of any old
issues. Some of the other magazines used to have some similar
articles too, Popular Mechanics, etc. Walking battle machines,
continuous flying blimps with landing fields on them, and so on, my
kind of thinkers.

I remember an article in a can't remember which magazine about
WWII tanker vet that made a small one-man tracked crawler, powered
by
a small one-cylinder engine. He used it to go deer hunting and to
carry his deer out. No plans as I recall, but enouch information
and
pictures to tell how it was put together and worked. I've been
looking for that article for a year or more, no luck so far. I want
to make something like that, to use as a jukyard crawler. Any clue?

I remember that one--I think the article was something like "Build
your own bulldozer". Would have been in the mid-to-late '60s or early
'70s I think. This is one where the Reader's Guide to Periodical
Literature would be your friend.

--

Oh, yeah! Is that on-line yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 3:51pm (J. Clarke) doth
sayeth:
I found one from 1950 but it was pedal-powered and kid-sized.
The one I remember either had plans or a kit or both.

Sounds interesting. Something like that should be easy enough
scale up, and ad a small one-cylinder engine. But is it actual
tracks, or phoney tracks hiding wheels? If it's real tracks I'd
like
to know how I could get a copy. If it's wheels, I'm not interested.

Here's all I've got on it--it's not much
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...he-real-thing/.

Sounds like the Struck Company. They're still in business, but
I'm not sure if they still offer kits, I don't think they still
offer
plans. http://www.struckcorp.com/

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do
you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 12:10pm (J.*Clarke) doth
say:
Here's all I've got on it--it's not much
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...he-real-thing/.

Every time I try to connect with the link, my system kicks off.
But I was able to use webscissors and get a look. Pretty neat. Too bad
no plans.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

BATH-TUB STEAM BOATS J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 12:17 AM
painting aluminum boats? RoyJ Metalworking 6 July 8th 05 04:59 AM
FAO FISHING BOATS J T Woodworking 0 January 26th 05 11:29 PM