DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Yet another Ebay sap.. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/221353-yet-another-ebay-sap.html)

[email protected] November 16th 07 08:25 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

Tom Veatch November 16th 07 09:32 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:25:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

1. ignorance of the true value of the item.
2. caught up in the "excitement" of the bidding.
3. mistaken idea that if you post the highest bid, then somehow you
"win". Otherwise you "lose". Competitiveness run wild.
4. incremental bidding instead of posting your maximum bid as the
first bid. (Oh, I guess I can up my bid a couple of dollars so I can
"win".)
5. pure stupidity for indulging in any of the above.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Lee November 16th 07 11:11 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

wrote in message
What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item?

Simple....some dumb ass out there will buy it.
On e-bay there is one born every 45 seconds

Leon November 17th 07 12:20 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

I hate it when that happens. Housing does that. The government thinks my
house is worth about twice what I think my house is worth.

Doug Miller November 17th 07 01:52 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

In article , "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:IT&it em=15
0177233443&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

I hate it when that happens. Housing does that. The government thinks my
house is worth about twice what I think my house is worth.

LOL - we've had some real problems with escalating property taxes here in
Indiana. One proposed solution is a law requiring the tax assessor to buy any
house at its assessed value if the homeowner wishes to sell it.

--
Regards,

Edward Hennessey November 17th 07 02:22 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

I hate it when that happens. Housing does that. The government thinks my
house is worth about twice what I think my house is worth.

L:

At least where I am, the tax assessor can be talked out of a "decline in
value form". If you make
a convincing show, based on the condition of your house and the recent sale
price of comparable
residences whose location and, better yet, condition you document
photographically, you can
get a refund of that over-assessed part of the taxable value and reset your
tax base. If you do
a rational, thourough job here, dispute is unlikely and you still have
recourse to an appeals hearing before
a board if you feel the initial decision is wrong. Look for recent sales at
the assessor's office or try
www.zillow.com .

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Roemax November 17th 07 02:49 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

amazing yes..
but why does it annoy you?
why would it be any of your business what someone pays
for anything

Mark & Juanita November 17th 07 04:46 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:IT&it em=15
0177233443&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

I hate it when that happens. Housing does that. The government thinks my
house is worth about twice what I think my house is worth.

LOL - we've had some real problems with escalating property taxes here in
Indiana. One proposed solution is a law requiring the tax assessor to buy
any house at its assessed value if the homeowner wishes to sell it.

Now *that* is a creative solution; I like it.

Dan Coby November 17th 07 04:52 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:IT&it em=15
0177233443&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

I hate it when that happens. Housing does that. The government thinks my
house is worth about twice what I think my house is worth.

LOL - we've had some real problems with escalating property taxes here in
Indiana. One proposed solution is a law requiring the tax assessor to buy
any house at its assessed value if the homeowner wishes to sell it.

Now *that* is a creative solution; I like it.

One of the Sci Fi writers (I think that it was Clarke) wrote about a society
where the assessment for a property was set by the owner. However anyone
was allowed to buy the property at the currently assessed value.

Kevin M. Vernon November 17th 07 09:41 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

"Dan Coby" wrote:

some snippage

LOL - we've had some real problems with escalating property taxes here in
Indiana. One proposed solution is a law requiring the tax assessor to buy
any house at its assessed value if the homeowner wishes to sell it.

Now *that* is a creative solution; I like it.

One of the Sci Fi writers (I think that it was Clarke) wrote about a society
where the assessment for a property was set by the owner. However anyone
was allowed to buy the property at the currently assessed value.

Heinlein. In "Number of the Beast." One set whatever value one
wished upon one's property & paid property taxes based upon that
valuation - BUT - anyone could, at any time, buy a property AT that
listed valuation, against the owner's wishes, UNLESS said owner
immediately raised his valuation to the point that the prospective
buyer no longer wished to buy - PLUS immediately paid 5 years
back-taxes on the new valuation. That part would tend to keep the
valuations fairly honest.

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

George November 17th 07 11:29 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
LOL - we've had some real problems with escalating property taxes here in
Indiana. One proposed solution is a law requiring the tax assessor to buy
any
house at its assessed value if the homeowner wishes to sell it.

Kalifornia's prop 13, Michigan's Headlee both limited the rise to rate of
inflation. Doesn't mean a lot, because they make up their public sector
raises elsewhere. Of course it's always "the children" when it comes to
"cuts" which aren't. Never ceases to amaze me how the papers report,
without comment, such stupidity as "severe cutback in services" followed, in
the next line, by "no jobs will be lost due to cutbacks." Sounds like one
of the e-by bargain hunters, may be just be part of a bigger pool of suckers
doesn't it?

Charlie Self November 17th 07 11:43 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Nov 17, 4:41 am, Kevin M. Vernon
wrote:
"Dan Coby" wrote:

some snippage

[...]

Not around here unless you're quick. Re-evaluation is done every four
years. I've never known it to go down, overall, and recently, jumps of
67% to well over 150% have been fairly common.

J. Clarke November 17th 07 01:37 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Kevin M. Vernon wrote:
"Dan Coby" wrote:

some snippage

[...]

That's kind of how it works (or worked at one time) in California.
For long-time residents it becomes a trap--relocate and you have to
either downsize _way_ down or take a big tax increase.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

jo4hn November 17th 07 02:59 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

J. Clarke wrote:

Kevin M. Vernon wrote:

"Dan Coby" wrote:

some snippage

[...]

But you know what your tax will be and can decide on the purchase
accordingly. If you buy, you can budget your tax bill for as long as
you own the house. Before Prop 13 (initiative that set the tax plan),
my assessed valuation/tax bill had tripled and was about to double
again. Now I had a question of whether I could pay the taxes and still
buy milk and beer. Great solution for homeowners. The effect on
commercial properties is not so good for the state. ...
rant off,
jo4hn

[email protected] November 17th 07 03:27 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

I've never known it to go down, overall, and recently, jumps of
67% to well over 150% have been fairly common.

Around here they only do a reassessment when the housing market is
hot. When it goes into the ****ter (like now) they should also
reasses. Taxes should fluctuate with the market. If the value of my
house goes down so should my taxes.

Mark & Juanita November 17th 07 05:28 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

wrote:

I've never known it to go down, overall, and recently, jumps of
67% to well over 150% have been fairly common.

Around here they only do a reassessment when the housing market is
hot. When it goes into the ****ter (like now) they should also
reasses. Taxes should fluctuate with the market. If the value of my
house goes down so should my taxes.

But that would mean less money for the politicians to use for buying
votes. There aren't very many politicians or government entities willing
to do with *less* money; it never occurs to them to cut expenses, only to
find other sources of revenue.

Charlie Self November 17th 07 09:06 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Nov 17, 12:28 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
wrote:
I've never known it to go down, overall, and recently, jumps of
67% to well over 150% have been fairly common.

Around here they only do a reassessment when the housing market is
hot. When it goes into the ****ter (like now) they should also
reasses. Taxes should fluctuate with the market. If the value of my
house goes down so should my taxes.

But that would mean less money for the politicians to use for buying
votes. There aren't very many politicians or government entities willing
to do with *less* money; it never occurs to them to cut expenses, only to
find other sources of revenue.

Actually, they do a revision of the taxes, too, but, as yet, we're not
sure how we'll come out on the next swat in the wallet. My guess is,
northeasterners will still head this way, because taxes tend to be
about 20% to 30% of what they are in Joisey, NY, CT and such places.
As the tax bill rises here, it rises by even more up there.

Of course, as we get all these people down here who want sidewalks,
streetlights, cops on every corner (we've pretty much got that, as
Bedford County is seriously over-copped), "free" garbage pick-up,
better schools (AKA as more highly paid teachers and more expensive
buildings, and more of both), and such city niceties, the taxes will
rise accordingly. I watched this **** happen 50 years ago in
Westchester County, and Bedford and Franklin Counties are going the
same way, but without the solid base of NYC to accept the daytime
workers.

Charlie Self November 17th 07 09:07 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Nov 16, 3:25 pm, wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWAX:I...

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

Why annoy? It's their money; what they do with it is their business.

B A R R Y November 17th 07 09:21 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:27:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Around here they only do a reassessment when the housing market is
hot.

Are you sure? Most areas do it on a regular schedule, and the
assessor can usually tell you when you're due next.

It would seem that at-will reassessments would be a real political hot
button at election time.

**
http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Andrew Barss November 17th 07 10:07 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Kevin M. Vernon wrote:
:

: Heinlein. In "Number of the Beast." One set whatever value one
: wished upon one's property & paid property taxes based upon that
: valuation - BUT - anyone could, at any time, buy a property AT that
: listed valuation, against the owner's wishes, UNLESS said owner
: immediately raised his valuation to the point that the prospective
: buyer no longer wished to buy - PLUS immediately paid 5 years
: back-taxes on the new valuation. That part would tend to keep the
: valuations fairly honest.

And it would tend to have a lot of people get displaced from their homes
by developers with deep pockets. No thanks.

: Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
: rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
: the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

There's some good thoughts there. Would help out a lot of old folks who get
taxed out of their homes when prices go up after 40 years.

-- Andy Barss

Tom Veatch November 18th 07 03:46 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 03:43:44 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self
wrote:

Not around here unless you're quick. Re-evaluation is done every four
years. I've never known it to go down, overall, and recently, jumps of
67% to well over 150% have been fairly common.

Same here except the appraised/assessed value increases every year,
along with the mill levy. I'd love to have a 4 year cycle. I'm now
paying taxes on an appraised value that is 63% greater than the
original appraisal and the effective mill levy has increased enough to
make the tax bill double what it was when we had the house built.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Kevin M. Vernon November 18th 07 04:24 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Andrew Barss wrote:

Kevin M. Vernon wrote:
:

: Heinlein. In "Number of the Beast." One set whatever value one
: wished upon one's property & paid property taxes based upon that
: valuation - BUT - anyone could, at any time, buy a property AT that
: listed valuation, against the owner's wishes, UNLESS said owner
: immediately raised his valuation to the point that the prospective
: buyer no longer wished to buy - PLUS immediately paid 5 years
: back-taxes on the new valuation. That part would tend to keep the
: valuations fairly honest.

And it would tend to have a lot of people get displaced from their homes
by developers with deep pockets. No thanks.

As opposed to the way it is now, when people get displaced from their
home by developers with deep pockets - by simply shoveling that
deepness at the politicians in return for some eminent domain
legislation. Sure, that would happen in some cases. Any more than it
does now? I doubt it. But then I wasn't advocating that particular
scheme, simply fleshing out the details for the O.P. who brought it
up.

: Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
: rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
: the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

There's some good thoughts there. Would help out a lot of old folks who get
taxed out of their homes when prices go up after 40 years.

-- Andy Barss

This one I do quite like. After all, an "Assesment" is simply an
estimate or guess of what your property might be worth, in someone's
opinion. It's worth what somebody will pay for it. Pay taxes on the
purchase price. Next guy that buys it - pays taxes on THAT purchase
price. It's not worth diddly poo, until you actually sell it for
something - and then whatever you sold it for is what it was worth.

Doug Miller November 18th 07 04:48 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

In article , Kevin M. Vernon wrote:

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

That, or simply dump property tax altogether. Of all the different types of
taxes we're hit for, property tax *alone* bears no relationship whatever to
the taxpayer's ability to pay -- leading to retirees being forced to sell
homes they've owned for decades, because they can't afford the taxes on a
property that has appreciated substantially since they bought it.

--
Regards,

Puckdropper November 18th 07 10:33 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
:

*snip*

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

The problem with that is I'd happily buy my sister's house for $1 and
she'd buy mine for the same $1. A couple hundred in title fees, and my
property tax is just a few cents. Good for me, bad for government.

Puckdropper

Rod & Betty Jo November 18th 07 10:51 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Doug Miller wrote:
That, or simply dump property tax altogether. Of all the different
types of
taxes we're hit for, property tax *alone* bears no relationship
whatever to
the taxpayer's ability to pay -- leading to retirees being forced to
sell
homes they've owned for decades, because they can't afford the taxes
on a
property that has appreciated substantially since they bought it.

At least here in Washington State, for a primary residence there is a
serious property tax exemption for lower income seniors.....It is a
nefarious plot to get their votes on school levy's...vote yes for the tax,
feel good about helping the deprived children and the schools and it still
won't cost you anythingG. Rod

George November 18th 07 11:06 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...

That, or simply dump property tax altogether. Of all the different types
of
taxes we're hit for, property tax *alone* bears no relationship whatever
the taxpayer's ability to pay

THAT makes sense to you? I thought it was to pay for government services,
though I don't see the folks on municipal water helping when my pump goes on
the fritz, while I subsidize them.

Dave Hall November 18th 07 11:12 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

No, it would just be bad for honest taxpayers. What seems to be missed
in all of these discussions on how the property tax should be
structured is that they are just schemes to shove the tax off on
someone else. None of them have anything to do with the spending side
of the equation. I see no reason why my neighbor who has lived in his
house for 20 years should pay significantly less than me just because
I have only lved in my house for 10 years.

Dave Hall

On 18 Nov 2007 22:33:46 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
:

*snip*

Doug Winterburn November 18th 07 11:18 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Puckdropper wrote:
Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
:

*snip*

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

The problem with that is I'd happily buy my sister's house for $1 and
she'd buy mine for the same $1. A couple hundred in title fees, and my
property tax is just a few cents. Good for me, bad for government.

Then, the gov would come along and tell you they need to put an off ramp
where your property is, and since it's only worth a buck...

Doug Miller November 18th 07 11:33 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

In article , Dave Hall wrote:
I see no reason why my neighbor who has lived in his
house for 20 years should pay significantly less than me just because
I have only lved in my house for 10 years.

Partly because the only accurate gauge of the value of the home is the price
for which it sold on the open market. Selling price is hard data. Appraisals
and tax assessments are only guesses.

Also, you're assuming that your neighbor's property value has appreciated
significantly during that time. While this is usually a valid assumption, it
ain't necessarily so.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller November 18th 07 11:34 PM

Yet another Ebay sap..

In article , "George" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

That, or simply dump property tax altogether. Of all the different types
of
taxes we're hit for, property tax *alone* bears no relationship whatever
the taxpayer's ability to pay

THAT makes sense to you? I thought it was to pay for government services,
though I don't see the folks on municipal water helping when my pump goes on
the fritz, while I subsidize them.

The point is that it's hardly fair to assess a tax on someone who lacks the
ability to pay it.

--
Regards,

Dave Hall November 19th 07 12:04 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:33:49 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Dave Hall wrote:
I see no reason why my neighbor who has lived in his
house for 20 years should pay significantly less than me just because
I have only lved in my house for 10 years.

Partly because the only accurate gauge of the value of the home is the price
for which it sold on the open market. Selling price is hard data. Appraisals
and tax assessments are only guesses.

Also, you're assuming that your neighbor's property value has appreciated
significantly during that time. While this is usually a valid assumption, it
ain't necessarily so.

Well, I guess that I assume that in a world with an active market
(which is true in most of the country, but could be wrong in some
lightly populated areas) it is pretty easy to compute a reasonably
accurate assessment and since most jurisdictions provide for an appeal
process, I assume the overall assessment process is reasonably fair.
If it isn't in your part of the world, that is a political problem,
not a problem with the concept. However, to put a possibly clearer
description on my point, "I see no reason why my neighbor who has" a
house just like mine with the same actual market value as mine but who
has"lived in his house for 20 years should pay significantly less than
me just because I have only lved in my house for 10 years".

I have no problem with some kind of ability to pay measure, but in
reality a very large percentage of "senior citizens" have a better
ability to pay than middle aged people who have mortgages, car
payments, kids to raise and colleges to pay for. Just being old should
not exempt someone from supporting society to the extent that society
has decided to spend society's money. If the argument would truly be
about equitable distribution of the tax burden then it would be a good
discussion, but it is pretty much always about how the person talking
can screw someone else into paying the taxes. The best debate would be
about how much society should actually be spending and only then an
equitable distribution of the burden.

Dave Hall

Tom Veatch November 19th 07 01:23 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

Just for the sake of argument/illustration, assume two identical
houses in equivalent locations (ATSG, the three most important things
in real estate are location, location, and location). One has been
owned by the same person for many years and was purchased at the
market value existing at that time - say $100,000. The other was
purchased in the prevailing market last week for - say $200,000.

So, the owner of the first property pays half the taxes that are paid
by the owner of the second identical property. Something about that
seems a little inequitable to me.

I like the idea presented in Heinlein's Number of the Beast. I'm sure
there are methods that could be implemented to prevent deep-pocket
takeovers of contiguous properties.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Doug Miller November 19th 07 02:44 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

In article , Dave Hall wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:33:49 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Dave Hall

wrote:
I see no reason why my neighbor who has lived in his
house for 20 years should pay significantly less than me just because
I have only lved in my house for 10 years.

Partly because the only accurate gauge of the value of the home is the price
for which it sold on the open market. Selling price is hard data. Appraisals
and tax assessments are only guesses.

Also, you're assuming that your neighbor's property value has appreciated
significantly during that time. While this is usually a valid assumption, it
ain't necessarily so.

Well, I guess that I assume that in a world with an active market
(which is true in most of the country, but could be wrong in some
lightly populated areas) it is pretty easy to compute a reasonably
accurate assessment

One would suppose so, yes. In practice, it normally doesn't work out that way,
suggesting that either the assumption is flawed or the assessors are idiots.
Maybe both.

and since most jurisdictions provide for an appeal
process, I assume the overall assessment process is reasonably fair.

That's *definitely* not a valid assumption.

If it isn't in your part of the world, that is a political problem,
not a problem with the concept.

IMO it's a problem with both: it's easier to distort a process that's flawed
to begin with.

However, to put a possibly clearer
description on my point, "I see no reason why my neighbor who has" a
house just like mine with the same actual market value as mine

Assumption!

but who
has"lived in his house for 20 years should pay significantly less than
me just because I have only lved in my house for 10 years".

But until the house sells, you _don't_know_ what its actual market value is.

I have no problem with some kind of ability to pay measure, but in
reality a very large percentage of "senior citizens" have a better
ability to pay than middle aged people who have mortgages, car
payments, kids to raise and colleges to pay for.

And a lot don't, too.

Just being old should
not exempt someone from supporting society to the extent that society
has decided to spend society's money.

Agreed -- but IMO being too poor should.

If the argument would truly be
about equitable distribution of the tax burden then it would be a good
discussion, but it is pretty much always about how the person talking
can screw someone else into paying the taxes.

I look at that a bit differently: I want to pay the bare minimum in taxes that
I can pay while still complying with the law -- just what I'm required to, and
not a penny more. Not quite the same as screwing someone else into paying the
taxes.

The best debate would be
about how much society should actually be spending and only then an
equitable distribution of the burden.

Oh, absolutely. Seems these days everybody wants all kinds of spending, but
nobody wants to pay for it.

--
Regards,

Kevin M. Vernon November 19th 07 03:08 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Puckdropper wrote:

Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
:

*snip*

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

The problem with that is I'd happily buy my sister's house for $1 and
she'd buy mine for the same $1. A couple hundred in title fees, and my
property tax is just a few cents. Good for me, bad for government.

Puckdropper

Why bad for Government? To me, anything that aids in keeping money
OUT of the hands of Government is a GOOD thing.

After all - giving money & power to govenment is like giving whiskey &
car keys to 17 year olds.

Puckdropper November 19th 07 03:36 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Doug Winterburn wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
:

*snip*

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your
tax rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the
property the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE
paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

The problem with that is I'd happily buy my sister's house for $1 and
she'd buy mine for the same $1. A couple hundred in title fees, and
my property tax is just a few cents. Good for me, bad for
government.

Then, the gov would come along and tell you they need to put an off
ramp where your property is, and since it's only worth a buck...

It's an awful funny place for an off ramp... Imagine a mound of dirt,
new asphalt, nicely painted lines, starting off in a field and ending
there.

That's the problem with going by the last sold price. Now, that's not
to say that last sold price shouldn't play a role in the assessment of
the property's value. Perhaps use it as a beginning point rather than
an end point.

Puckdropper

Dave Hall November 19th 07 04:17 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:08:00 -0500, Kevin M. Vernon
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

Kevin M. Vernon wrote in
m:

*snip*

Personally, My thoughts on the whole property tax mess a Your tax
rate is based upon your purchase price. When you sell the property
the new owner then pays his taxes based upon the price HE paid for it.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

The problem with that is I'd happily buy my sister's house for $1 and
she'd buy mine for the same $1. A couple hundred in title fees, and my
property tax is just a few cents. Good for me, bad for government.

Puckdropper

Why bad for Government? To me, anything that aids in keeping money
OUT of the hands of Government is a GOOD thing.

In what way did this process keep money out of Gov't's hands? They
just raise the tax rate until they get the same total amount. You
won't be paying your share so, by definition, you will have screwed
someone else into paying your share. We need to talk about spending,
not taxes.

Dave Hall November 19th 07 04:27 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:44:28 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Dave Hall wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:33:49 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Dave Hall

wrote:
[...]

Again, if in an active market your assessors are not getting pretty
close, it is a political problem since it ain't rocket science. Even
every little real estate agent gets pretty damn close when pricing
houses.
and since most jurisdictions provide for an appeal
process, I assume the overall assessment process is reasonably fair.

That's *definitely* not a valid assumption.

Political problem again, must be bad judges if they allow gross over
assessments when you bring valid sales data and comparable property
data to the appeal.

If it isn't in your part of the world, that is a political problem,
not a problem with the concept.

IMO it's a problem with both: it's easier to distort a process that's flawed
to begin with.

However, to put a possibly clearer
description on my point, "I see no reason why my neighbor who has" a
house just like mine with the same actual market value as mine

Assumption!

but who
has"lived in his house for 20 years should pay significantly less than
me just because I have only lved in my house for 10 years".

But until the house sells, you _don't_know_ what its actual market value is.

Again, if there is any market at all you do "know", at least as well
as you know the earth is round, that the sun will rise in the morning
and that congress will do something stupid the next time it meets. All
are assumptions, but pretty solidly based in experience.

I have no problem with some kind of ability to pay measure, but in
reality a very large percentage of "senior citizens" have a better
ability to pay than middle aged people who have mortgages, car
payments, kids to raise and colleges to pay for.

And a lot don't, too.

Just being old should
not exempt someone from supporting society to the extent that society
has decided to spend society's money.

Agreed -- but IMO being too poor should.

Poor has nothing to do with age or how long someone has owned a home.

If the argument would truly be
about equitable distribution of the tax burden then it would be a good
discussion, but it is pretty much always about how the person talking
can screw someone else into paying the taxes.

I look at that a bit differently: I want to pay the bare minimum in taxes that
I can pay while still complying with the law -- just what I'm required to, and
not a penny more. Not quite the same as screwing someone else into paying the
taxes.

But the whole discussion has been about people considering tax
structures that end up with them paying less taxes. By definition they
are then talking about how to make other people pay more in taxes.

The best debate would be
about how much society should actually be spending and only then an
equitable distribution of the burden.

Oh, absolutely. Seems these days everybody wants all kinds of spending, but
nobody wants to pay for it.

AMEN, brother!

Mark & Juanita November 19th 07 05:29 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

Dave Hall wrote:

... snip

I look at that a bit differently: I want to pay the bare minimum in taxes
that I can pay while still complying with the law -- just what I'm
required to, and not a penny more. Not quite the same as screwing someone
else into paying the taxes.

But the whole discussion has been about people considering tax
structures that end up with them paying less taxes. By definition they
are then talking about how to make other people pay more in taxes.

Why should that be the case? Isn't about time to start demanding that the
government make do with the money it is already receiving and to live
within those means?

Tom Veatch November 19th 07 05:31 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:17:15 -0500, Dave Hall wrote:

In what way did this process keep money out of Gov't's hands? They
just raise the tax rate until they get the same total amount. You
won't be paying your share so, by definition, you will have screwed
someone else into paying your share. We need to talk about spending,
not taxes

I agree the spending should be addressed. But, assume the spending is
cut in half and you're still facing the problem of how to equitably
spread the tax load to support that reduced level of spending.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

GoForward November 19th 07 07:10 AM

Yet another Ebay sap..

On Nov 16, 3:25 pm, wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWAX:I...

What compels someone to offer a bid for a used item that is higher
than the price for the new item? The plane isn't exactly an antique
collectible. Never ceases to amaze as well annoy.

Since you're an expert on purchases, I suppose that you know how
much the plane costs new in France, where the buyer is located? And
since you're the expert on purchases, I'm sure you'll claim that it's
just as easy & cheap to have a new item shipped across the border
as it is a used one.