john moorhead

Default PM Motor Replacement

Folks -

I found some old PM Iron, but it's 3 phase.... Where can I get a
replacement single phase 3 hp motor for it? Any leads would help, and I'd
rather replace the motor than go a phase converter route.

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead

jerry

"john moorhead" wrote in

Folks -

I found some old PM Iron, but it's 3 phase.... Where can I get a
replacement single phase 3 hp motor for it? Any leads would help, and
I'd rather replace the motor than go a phase converter route.

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead

I found these people; http://electricmotorwarehouse.com to be ok and very
helpful by phone and email. No absolute garentee of being cheapest but
pretty close.

I did the swap as you're proposing and used a 145tc frame tefc 230v 3hp.
That's a C face motor that is a direct bolt up replacement at around
$260. They do a 5hp too.

The problem comes with shaft sizes. Depending upon the age of your
machine it's probable that you have the three belt system with a 7/8th
Arbor and a 3/4 motor shaft. I couldn't find any single phase C face with
a 3/4 shaft listed anywhere, even at powermatic. My answer was to switch
to the same belt arangement new 66's use which is the 3VX. Confusingly
this is a two belt drive and uses 7/8 shafts on both arbor and pully, all
readily available. Cost was an additional $180 or so but that was for
pully's, belts and new arbor bearings at the same time.

HTH rgrds