Nut Tree

Default Redneck dust collection?

My local PBS station finally got back to non-fund raising programming and
Norm was on yesterday. He was making the "monk library table" or what ever
it was called. Anyway he went to visit his source for southern yellow pine
and then was taken by that fellow to see part of the process to get these
old timbers back to usable condition. I like segments like those and
enjoyed this one too. I did notice however a unique form of dust collection
being employed in this Georgia location. The old over 20 inch wide planer
was by the open door of the shop and the hood was missing. The camera guy
seemed to like the view of the blades as they whirled around. As the guy
fed a sample piece of the reclaimed yellow pine through this old monster,
the chips flew straight up out of the top. Then they were blown out the
door by a large fan behind to operator. No collection hood, just a good
stiff breeze!! This is made all the more interesting by the fact that this
old timber could have a nail or some other non-wood projectile in it. Did
anyone else notice this arrangement?

FWIW I am not bashing Norm or the fellow who ran the shop. I would love to
have access to that type of wood myself.

Gfretwell

That's my system, I just open the garage door and blow the dust out into the
driveway. Then I sweep it off in the grass. (recycling).
About the only thing it really accomplishes is keeping the dust away from the
laundry, behind my fans but that keeps the wife happy. I still have to sweep
out the floor under the TS. I sand in the driveway under a big beach umbrella.
I was doing that in the garage and it was a real mess.
Gfretwell

Hey, that's my system! You musta stole it!

I stole it from Tom's Cypress in Waldo Florida (slow down).
This guy makes sawdust 55 gallons at a time sanding down table tops with the
biggest belt sander I have ever seen (the belt is at least 10' long)