Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dang fires II

We are now officially back home after having been under forced
evacuation since October 22, due to a particularly nasty forest fire
which was encouraged by high winds. Our home was spared but 105
buildings (out of 7 or 800 total) in our village were not. Green Valley
Lake with a population of about 300 made the national news. Never a
good way to gain notoriety.

Shortly before 8 am on that Monday, we noticed a smoky smell even with
the winds blowing strongly. By 10 am, most of us full time residents
were on our way down the mountain to stay with friends, family, or
hotels. When one lives in the sticks, one has the evacuation plan
memorized. Margaret invented what she calls the “Cs”: cats, computer,
clothes (including the dirty clothes hamper), cars, and the chest of
vital papers. These are all bundled into a car and a truck. Once
safely in temporary quarters, we monitor progress of the fire and keep
in touch with neighbors via www.rimoftheworld.net.

It was gratifying that few of our friends lost homes and there were
offers of help for those who did. One particularly sad note was the
loss of our town hardware/lumber store. We will work together to put
the town back together starting with the annual Christmas Tree Lighting
dinner and fund raiser. And the Old Farts Club will meet on Monday at 7
am at the Lake Inn to drink coffee, tell lies, and figure out who may
need help.

mahalo,
jo4hn

to Lew Hodgett - saw your posting and appreciate your concern

Dang! was looking for aluminium The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 14 September 1st 06 08:54 PM
Dang! Steve B Metalworking 9 December 27th 05 05:02 PM
OT - Dang Sun. I'm a lobster! Mike W. Woodworking 1 April 10th 05 06:02 PM