Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Default any suggested finishes for cocobolo slab

I have a cocobolo slab that will be a top for a sofa table. By "slab",
I mean that the edges of the board extend to both bark edges. There's
no more bark, but the contrasting beige sap wood about 3/4" wide runs
down both edges. I intend to keep the natural edge.

I'm looking for suggestions on finishing. Would a penetrating oil
finish(e.g watco) work on such a dense wood? The wood is deep red
with almost black streaks, and since oil tends to darken wood, would
oil "un" enhance these colors?

Is there any special treatment for bark edges?

I'll do some experimenting, but the would is pricey so there's not
many scraps.

Thanks,

Mitch