Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maple

Does maple make for good firewood? I can get a load for 50 bucks

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does maple make for good firewood? I can get a load for 50 bucks

YES

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does maple make for good firewood? I can get a load for 50 bucks

YES

Yes, but hard maple makes better firewood than soft maple.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 6:21 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
Does maple make for good firewood? I can get a load for 50 bucks

Anywhere between fair and excellent, depending on the species.

Typical soft maples are silver maple and red maple. Silver maple is fair, at
best, for firewood; red maple is mediocre to good. The hard maples (sugar
maple and black maple) make excellent firewood.

I just got a nice load of 3" thick hickory cut-offs from some stairs
we're making. It's all checked to hell because the purchaser of the
stairs sawed it himself from his land, but it'll make for some nice
cooking fires.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does maple make for good firewood? I can get a load for 50 bucks

YES

Yes, but hard maple makes better firewood than soft maple.

But that's like saying great sex is better than good sex.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

LOL -- haven't burned a lot of silver maple, have you? Red maple's OK, but
silver isn't much better than tulip poplar as firewood.

Actually - I really don't know. When it comes to sub-dividing soft maple
into various types, it's all lost on me. For what grows in my woods - it's
close enough to differentiate between hard maple and soft maple. Both make
nice heat. Have no idea what type of soft maple grows here though.

Your soft maple's probably red maple, then. Decent firewood. Decent furniture
wood, too, for that matter, though not as good as sugar maple for either
purpose -- but way, way better than silver maple, which is too soft and
light to be much use.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Actually - I really don't know. When it comes to sub-dividing soft maple
into various types, it's all lost on me. For what grows in my woods -
it's close enough to differentiate between hard maple and soft maple.
Both make nice heat. Have no idea what type of soft maple grows here
though.

Pound of wood is a pound of wood when you're burning. So at the same
moisture content you go with the heaviest. Sugar maple @ SG 0.66, red at
0.56 and silver at 0.50 should give you an idea. Tulip-poplar is 0.46 .
You're a bit lazy if you can't take the time it takes to look up your local
stuff or ask your county agent.