Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scratch awl with 4" blade?

I put together houses in Mexico a couple of times a month for a
charity (corazon). We frame the walls with 2x4's on the ground, frame
where the windows are going to go, and then put OSB (like plywood)
over the whole thing. Then we tilt the wall up, and put nails through
the corners where the window's going to go - from the inside to the
outside - to mark the window corners. Then we lower it down, snap
lines to the holes, and cut out the OSB.
The problem is that the nails are angled - so the holes aren't exactly
in the right place.
I was thinking of using something like a scratch awl instead of
nails. But the shaft would need to be at least 4" long to clear the
2x4 and the OSB. And metal so I could hammer on it.
Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about a 6" long drill bit, that you could put right in the corner and
drill the OSB? Either electric or good old brace and bit. That would put
the hole right on the corner and mark it from the other side.

I suppose that the nail slopes outward when you use it for a marker, and you
are then trying to cut both the 2x and the OSB. Could you pull it in 1/2"
or so to allow for the slope, or could you find some of those spikes like
they use for log homes so the nail goes in straight?

Sites I have been on use a sawzall with a long blade working from the
inside, so they are guided by the framing. I suspect there is a reason you
can't do that.

Old Guy
wrote in message
ps.com...
I put together houses in Mexico a couple of times a month for a
charity (corazon). We frame the walls with 2x4's on the ground, frame
where the windows are going to go, and then put OSB (like plywood)
over the whole thing. Then we tilt the wall up, and put nails through
the corners where the window's going to go - from the inside to the
outside - to mark the window corners. Then we lower it down, snap
lines to the holes, and cut out the OSB.
The problem is that the nails are angled - so the holes aren't exactly
in the right place.
I was thinking of using something like a scratch awl instead of
nails. But the shaft would need to be at least 4" long to clear the
2x4 and the OSB. And metal so I could hammer on it.
Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 9:56 pm, wrote:
I put together houses in Mexico a couple of times a month for a
charity (corazon). We frame the walls with 2x4's on the ground, frame
where the windows are going to go, and then put OSB (like plywood)
over the whole thing. Then we tilt the wall up, and put nails through
the corners where the window's going to go - from the inside to the
outside - to mark the window corners. Then we lower it down, snap
lines to the holes, and cut out the OSB.
The problem is that the nails are angled - so the holes aren't exactly
in the right place.
I was thinking of using something like a scratch awl instead of
nails. But the shaft would need to be at least 4" long to clear the
2x4 and the OSB. And metal so I could hammer on it.
Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?

Thanks,
Bob

Sounds like a new life for a phillips screwdriver that has lost it's
shape. You may even be able to re-harden it after you shape the point
by taking it to an orange heat and poking it in a melon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Oct 29, 2007, 6:56pm (EDT-3) doth query"
SNIP Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?

Duct tape. Or, ice pick.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 5:42 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
I put together houses in Mexico a couple of times a month for a
charity (corazon). We frame the walls with 2x4's on the ground,
frame where the windows are going to go, and then put OSB (like
plywood) over the whole thing. Then we tilt the wall up, and put
nails through the corners where the window's going to go - from the
inside to the outside - to mark the window corners. Then we lower
it down, snap lines to the holes, and cut out the OSB.
The problem is that the nails are angled - so the holes aren't
exactly in the right place.
I was thinking of using something like a scratch awl instead of
nails. But the shaft would need to be at least 4" long to clear the
2x4 and the OSB. And metal so I could hammer on it.
Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?

Thanks,
Bob

Use 20d (penny) or larger nails.http://www.1728.com/nails.htm

Personally, I like the drill bit idea better.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Thanks - and to everyone for all of the ideas. I'll check out the big
nails & gutter spikes. The drill would be good, but we are actually
building all 4 walls at the same time & tools are an issue for us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 30, 5:42 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Wow - a ton of ideas to address a matter that has been dealt with exactly as
you're currently doing it, forever. You're fine with what you're doing. If
you're worried about that slight angle on the nail - simply move it inboard
a quarter of an inch. You're making this waylay more complicated than it
needs to be. BTW - don't bother lowering the wall back down. Raise it,
nail it, cut your window openings in after.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is time for a dedicated tool. Do not raise the wall, mark, lay
it back down, cut, raise again. You're going to wear the poor
wall plumb out, or someone's back.

If you can stand buying a dedicated tool, buy a name brand drywall
cutter - not Rotozip, get a DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some such. Buy
a couple of the bits made to drill and rout the holes.

A heavy duty cut out tool like a DW 660
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2750

A window and door bit is DW6609
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_category_detail.asp?categoryID=871

You could also maybe take along a router someone already owns that
can run those same bits or some straight cutter router bits with
ball bearings on the ends.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

ps.com...