Woodman

Default Nail size recommendations

"Hyde" wrote in message
Having just purchased a 18ga brad and 15ga finish nailer, I was
wondering what nail sizes folks here find they use most often. I
realize that this is usually determined by the project you are working
on, but I figured some sizes may cover more needs than others. I'd
like to grab a couple of sizes to have on hand rather than run to the
store each time I need them, save for a project that might require a
specific size. I'd probably be using it for trim work and the
occasional "birdhouse" type projects. With the cost of nails I'd hate
to pick a size I'd rarely need, and thought there might be a size or
two that covers a good range of situations. Hearing what sizes others
might have picked up but never used would be nice to hear too. Thanks
for any advice.

Hyde

As you say, it is very much project orientated, however I find I am often
using 1" and 2" nails fairly regularly.
I do shoot 5/8" brads quite often for pinning of shop jigs and smaller item
work.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener
- Miller Dowel System
- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels
- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand
- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

Swingman

Not a recommendation, but what I use: BN, most sizes up to 1" - FN, most
sizes between 1 and 2", with 1 1/2" the most used.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Hyde" wrote in message
Having just purchased a 18ga brad and 15ga finish nailer, I was
wondering what nail sizes folks here find they use most often.

Kevin L. Bowling

For trim I keep on hand 2-1/2" and 1-1/4"

Kevin

Greg O

"Hyde" wrote in message
Having just purchased a 18ga brad and 15ga finish nailer, I was
wondering what nail sizes folks here find they use most often.

I have only used mine for trim, bought 2" and 1-1/2.
Greg

Leon

I keep 4 sizes. for the brad nailer I have 5/8" and 1". For the finish
nailer, I have 1-1/4" and 1-3/4".
Fortunately the brad nails are dirt cheap in comparison to finish nails.

Wood Butcher

The 18ga brads are cheap enough in the 1000pc packages
that I bought every size. Once I found out what size I use
most, I then bought that size in the 5000pc packs. BTW
the PC BN200 will shoot the 5/8" brads just fine even tho
PC only advertises 3/4" to 2".

No experience with the 15ga but I'd guess that a similar
approach would work.

Art

"Hyde" wrote in message
Having just purchased a 18ga brad and 15ga finish nailer, I was
wondering what nail sizes folks here find they use most often. I
realize that this is usually determined by the project you are working
on, but I figured some sizes may cover more needs than others. I'd
like to grab a couple of sizes to have on hand rather than run to the
store each time I need them, save for a project that might require a
specific size. I'd probably be using it for trim work and the
occasional "birdhouse" type projects. With the cost of nails I'd hate
to pick a size I'd rarely need, and thought there might be a size or
two that covers a good range of situations. Hearing what sizes others
might have picked up but never used would be nice to hear too. Thanks
for any advice.

Hyde

Grandpa

I picked 4-5 different length brads for mine for the same reason and
have not been sorry. It'll take a long time to use them so what the
heck. They take up very little room. Most often I'm using 1" to 1½".