Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is it?

Found two very old wooden vises in the basement of my apartment
building in Sweden. What are they for?

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/questio...ng/1790721996/
and http://www.flickr.com/photos/questio...ng/1790712430/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:14:42 -0000, Never Enough Money
wrote:

Found two very old wooden vises in the basement of my apartment
building in Sweden. What are they for?

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/questio...ng/1790721996/
and http://www.flickr.com/photos/questio...ng/1790712430/

The vise with the long beam looks like an end vise. The two smaller
blocks might attach to the bottom of the bench.

How's Sweden?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Never Enough Money
wrote:
Found two very old wooden vises in the basement of my apartment
building in Sweden. What are they for?

Photos athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790721996/
andhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790712430/

My WAG is that they'd be used to keep boards flat during glue-up.
The thing that puzzles me, is why they'd be so tall.

I also can't think of a way where they'd be useful in making
meatballs.

One thing is for sure, you're not going to create a whole lot of
clamping power.... so I think it is more to hold something rather than
to clamp something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Found two very old wooden vises in the basement of my apartment
building in Sweden. What are they for?

Photos athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790721996/
andhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/question_everything/1790712430/

The vise with the long beam looks like an end vise. The two smaller
blocks might attach to the bottom of the bench.

How's Sweden?

Sweden is fine, a bit cold nd a lot expensive. I miss Colorado!

**http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **