Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default MI's SPEEDBALL SPECIAL - PDF

http://www.smallcarplans.com/MI%20Sp...al%20Plans.pdf

I've seen the original, and it was beeyootiful. Probably have to
do a bit of substituting of pieces, vut if you want something unique, it
could be done for not a lot.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 27, 10:25 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.smallcarplans.com/MI%20Sp...al%20Plans.pdf

I've seen the original, and it was beeyootiful. Probably have to
do a bit of substituting of pieces, vut if you want something unique, it
could be done for not a lot.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Brings to mind a series from the '50s, mid to late, my memory says, in
Hot Rod, Car Craft or ? about building your own hot rod for a buck a
pound. I haven't been able to find anything on it on-line (but I
haven't looked very hard). As I recall, the car weighed in at maybe
1,200 pounds, and used a flathead Ford V8. Motorcycle style fenders,
etc.

Or maybe my brain is slipping more than its usual two or three clutch
plates.

Have you run up on that one? Has anyone?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
On Oct 27, 10:25 pm, (J T) wrote:
[...]

Haven't run on that one, but if you google "Locost" (note--the
spelling is not a typo and there is no space or hyphen) the first page
of hits will all get you information on variants of the car that Ron
Champion described in "Build your own sports car for as little as
UKP250". It's very much like a Lotus Seven but it's not the same
design.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Oct 28, 2007, 7:43pm (EDT+4) (Charlie*Self)
doth recall:
Brings to mind a series from the '50s, mid to late, my memory says, in
Hot Rod, Car Craft or ? about building your own hot rod for a buck a
pound. I haven't been able to find anything on it on-line (but I haven't
looked very hard). As I recall, the car weighed in at maybe 1,200
pounds, and used a flathead Ford V8. Motorcycle style fenders, etc.
Or maybe my brain is slipping more than its usual two or three clutch
plates.
Have you run up on that one? Has anyone?

I remember MI with an article showing how to make a two seater
"sports car" from a Ford. Cut the frame in half, keep the front, with
flathead engine, then make a tube rear, and cover with sheet mets. Told
how to shorten the drive train and all. Don't recall any mention of per
pound. Came out looking looking something like Ak Miller's El Caballo..

The only one I recall touted as being a dollar a pound tho is one
by Tex Smith. Seems to me he used a Mopar slant six i his tho. A buck
went a lot further in thos days too. I don't recall the final price.

Seems like the guys building really cheap now are some of those guy
with "rat rods". Apparently the goal is to make something that looks
like absolute crap, but runs. Some of them are bqsically decent
looking, or at least could be, if they'd at least cover up some of the
rust, and patch a few holes. Read about one and the owner/builder
claimed he actually had mechanical brakes. Stupid. Even read about
some that hire someone, at larg bucks, to make one for them, and to
purposely make it look out like crap.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 7:10 pm, (J T) wrote:
[...]

Let's face it; what else can you expect with today's styles in
clothing and music?

I had totally forgotten Ak Miller and Tex Smith. Hell, I won't even
swear to the dates: I was rolling around the idea I was 15-16-17,
which pops us in the world of late '53, '54 and well into '56. By July
of '57, I had managed to get enough hours out of school and working to
buy my first new car...I'd hurt someone for that now, a '57 Chev
convertible, 283, dual 4s, Duntov cam, close ratio 3 speed (on the
column), dual fishpole antennas (just the thing for a rising 19 year
old), and silver and red vinyl upholstery. The 16 gallon gas tank was
a BIG mistake on Chevy's part. That thing had a range of under 100
miles, but with high test (and with a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio it
needed high test) selling for $.32.9, who cared?

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I probably should go over some of my Lotus 7 shots and post them.
Local race course, Virginia International Raceway, is a great venue

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
On Oct 27, 10:25 pm, (J T) wrote:
[...]

I stuck a few up and even slipped in a Lotus Eleven (1957).

www.charlieselfonline.com for those who don't know. Check the Auto
Shots page

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 1:24 am, (J T) wrote:
Mon, Oct 29, 2007, 12:22am (EDT+4) (Charlie Self)
doth sayeth:
snip '57 Chev convertible, snip The 16 gallon gas tank was a BIG
mistake on Chevy's part. That thing had a range of under 100 miles,
snip

My El Camino will get 20+ on the highway. But as most of my
driving is around town, and I like to hear the pipes, I'm averaging
somewhere above 10 MPG, on regular. But who cares?

My first car was a '55 Ford. That I latter put a rod thru the
block. Unhooked that plug wire, and was surprised at how well a V-7
runs. LOL

Oh, lord! My first car was a '50 Studebaker, black 4 door, hill
holder, flathead six, three on the column. That six was one of the
absolute worst engines ever foisted on the public: my old man was a
mechanic at Mt. Vernon (NY) Studebaker back then (about '55), and I
bought the car from him (50 bucks: he ripped me off), and he kept me
supplied with rod bearings, because the two main bearing crank whipped
so much it would would produce a rod knock in the center two bearings
in about 400-500 miles. POS is the best phrase that comes to mind, but
at 17, I had wheels and very few others did back then. We also had a
'49 (IIRC) Crosley convertible I'd love to have today. That came to
use via a trade-in at the Stude place. Either car would drive all week
on a two buck's worth of gas (at 28 cents per gallon). Five bucks
overflowed the tanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Oct 31, 2007, 12:03pm (EDT+4) (Charlie*Self)
doth sayeh:
Oh, lord! My first car was a '50 Studebaker, snip rod knock in the
center two bearings in about 400-500 miles. POS is the best phrase that
comes to mind, but at 17, I had wheels and very few others did back
then. We also had a '49 (IIRC) Crosley convertible I'd love to have
today. snip

Buddy of mine got a (I believe) '50 Stude convertable, for $35.
Now this guy would run the crap out of a car. His daddy bought him a
beautiful '55 Chevy 2dr hardtop, candy paint, 4 speet, et al, and he
basically ran it into the ground. Somethow he got hold of a show car,
'40 Ford coupe, with Modal A pickup bed in place of a trunk lid, along
with two disassembled 3/4 race flathead engines, for $250. Last time I
saw that one, it was definitely not running, and literally rotting into
the ground. Shame, I've got pictures of it from the big Detroit car
show, before he got it. Anyway, his Stude gave im no problems
engine-wise while he had it.

A guy I went to school with bought a '48 'Ford convertable. This
thing looked almost like it'd just came off a showroom floor. New top,
new back paint job, new ****ewalls, rebuilt engine - that you could
bareley hear run with the hood up and your head under it, new seat
covers. For the grand price of $150. Within six month it was totally
worthless. I could have cried.

First vehicle I had real access to wass a '49 Plymouth 2-door sedan.
Pukey green, holes in the floorboards - lost a tire wrench that way,
three on the tree, and a flathead six. Dearly wish I had that thing
now. With a 440 stuck in it. Ah well. Now I'm sure I couldn't afford
to buy it, even if it was in the same condition. Then it was just a
junky old car, now it would be a "classic", with a price to prove it.

Special Events Rex B Metalworking 1 February 27th 06 06:51 PM
Special wire Cicero UK diy 31 February 3rd 06 03:14 PM
Special brick ? [email protected] UK diy 1 April 24th 05 11:17 PM
Special screws p4o2 Home Repair 7 October 4th 04 04:41 PM