Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bandsaw questions

I have grizzly 14" "ultimate" bandsaw. I bought it new a few years
ago. It has serviced me well, however, lately I have a hard time
keeping the thing tracking well. It seems I can only go a few cuts
before the blade starts rubbing a guide wheel. I've also noticed that
the blade does not hit both the upper and lower wheels (the drive
wheels) in the same spot any longer (when new, the two wheels were
perfectly coplaner). Could it simply be the blades? there in pretty
good shape and haven't had much use. Do I need new guide bearings?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug writes:
I have grizzly 14" "ultimate" bandsaw. I bought it new a few years
ago. It has serviced me well, however, lately I have a hard time
keeping the thing tracking well. It seems I can only go a few cuts
before the blade starts rubbing a guide wheel. I've also noticed that
the blade does not hit both the upper and lower wheels (the drive
wheels) in the same spot any longer (when new, the two wheels were
perfectly coplaner). Could it simply be the blades? there in pretty
good shape and haven't had much use. Do I need new guide bearings?

Hm. I had a similar problem on an older JET WBS-14(OS). Turns out
the casting that the blade tracking knob moves was cracked and the
angle had changed between the upper wheel axle and the tracking knob
assembly such that the blade would always fall off the upper wheel.

A week later the new part from Jet had arrived. The casting (pot metal)
on the original part had had material removed from it to form ribs, the
replacement casting (still pot metal) is solid; and less likely to break.

As for root cause, I suspect that keeping tension on the saw 24x7 and
possibly overtensioning it may have been responsible (aside from the fact
that the original part was probably cheaply designed).

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:50:24 -0700, Doug wrote:

I have grizzly 14" "ultimate" bandsaw. I bought it new a few years
ago. It has serviced me well, however, lately I have a hard time
keeping the thing tracking well. It seems I can only go a few cuts
before the blade starts rubbing a guide wheel. I've also noticed that
the blade does not hit both the upper and lower wheels (the drive
wheels) in the same spot any longer (when new, the two wheels were
perfectly coplaner). Could it simply be the blades? there in pretty
good shape and haven't had much use. Do I need new guide bearings?

Do a total band saw tuneup. Duginski's book will help guide you
through the steps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:50:24 -0700, Doug wrote:

I have grizzly 14" "ultimate" bandsaw. I bought it new a few years
ago. It has serviced me well

Don't even wanna go there... wouldn't be prudent..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Questions on Delta 14" Bandsaw? LRod Woodworking 17 January 13th 07 01:54 PM
Delta bandsaw questions Bill Jones Woodworking 19 March 10th 05 05:57 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
bandsaw newbie questions Steven Laughmiller Woodworking 6 September 3rd 04 07:18 PM
Various bandsaw questions...long Stephen M Woodworking 23 January 28th 04 03:56 AM