Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Default Need a good cheap hand-held drill guide (mostly for 90° drilling)

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Att achments

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for
90° but angles could be of use someday.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:13:54 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Att achments

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for
90° but angles could be of use someday.

Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

Or you could use a drill press. There are many other examples, some
better (and some worse) to do what you want.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Make your own jig out of scraps.
Edge glue/nail together 2 pieces of 1x2 to form a V.
Cut the ends off square.
Place your drill bit in the V and hold it against the desired hole location.
For angled holes cut the jig end off at the desired angle.
Good. Free. Hand held.

Art

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com wrote in
message news:Cg9Ti.1351$6P3.695@trndny02...

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

PeterD wrote:
: "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
:
: I found this guy:
:
: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00967173000P?
: vName=Tools&cName=Power+Tool+Accessories&sName=Dri ll+Doctor+%26+Drill+Attachments

: Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't
tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

Anyone ever put a Forstner bit into a plunge router? Seems like this
device is basically a plunge base for a hand-held drill.

--- Chip
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Artemus said something like:

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
message news:Cg9Ti.1351$6P3.695@trndny02...

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to
make holes perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

Make your own jig out of scraps.
Edge glue/nail together 2 pieces of 1x2 to form a V.
Cut the ends off square.
Place your drill bit in the V and hold it against the desired hole
location.
For angled holes cut the jig end off at the desired angle.
Good. Free. Hand held.

Art

I like how you think....I may do just this....I was planning on using a
press to cut trusted holes in a block of hardwood of every diameter from
dinky to 1/2" to match all my drill bits....like the V thing
better.....but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the
bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz said something like:
PeterD wrote:
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00967173000P?
vName=Tools&cName=Power+Tool+Accessories&sName=Dri ll+Doctor+%26+Drill+Attachments

Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't
tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

(???) Even with the key?

I have precisely that problem with my B&D key-less chuck, but that's
understandable, or at least more-so.

It's annoying, to be sure. But the key couldn't clamp that thing down tight
enough? At least most of my bits have a hex shank.....

....[rip]...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Att achments

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for
90° but angles could be of use someday.

That sure looks better than the thing I
have from Sears. It's a hoseclamp thing
that uses an extension bar to find the
right angle. And a royal pain in the ass
to use. What you've found may be a
reasonably cheap alternative to a drill
press. Which I should likely just bite
the bullet and buy.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 8:02 pm, "Chip Buchholtz" wrote:

No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't
tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

I don't know...a similar one works for me.

I have this one: http://www.generaltools.com/Products...de__36-37.aspx

Thing is, I paid less than half this price at the BORG. I have no
idea why it is so much at the manufacturer's site.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
: Chip Buchholtz said something like:
:
: No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't
: tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

: (???) Even with the key?

: It's annoying, to be sure. But the key couldn't clamp that thing
: down tightenough? At least most of my bits have a hex shank.....

OK, I went down to the shop to try it out again.

Using a 1/2" Forstner bit and a Craftsman cordless drill with a
keyless chuck, it did fine. The posts make it difficult to tighten
the drill's chuck. Attaching the drill is a three hand operation; I
found I needed to rest the jig base on the edge of a table so that I
could use two hands to tighten the chuck with everything lined up
horizontally.

The thing is reasonably solid for something that inexpensive. The
tops of the posts wiggle about 3/16" each way with moderate force.

I think my previous attempt was with a 2" Forstner bit; it worked with
my keyless drill, but didn't work with the jig. I don't remember
whether my drill's keyless chuck slipped on the jig, or if the jig's
chuck slipped on the bit.

The base has holes so you can screw it to a sheet of plywood or a jig
if you want.

It's not junk, and it may be a good solution for some problems.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
: ...but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the
: bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Which reminds me, the chuck on the Sears thing stops an inch or two
away from the work piece. You might be able to get closer by taking
off the springs.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
: ...but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the
: bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Which reminds me, the chuck on the Sears thing stops an inch or two
away from the work piece. You might be able to get closer by taking
off the springs.

I have one of the Sears things, and it works well enough if you don't need
exactly 90 degrees. Chip is right, with the springs it won't get right next
to the work - I took the springs out right away and can get very near the
work surface.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Let us know how it works out for you, though.

Please film the forstner bit in a router and upload it to YouTube. G
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

On Oct 23, 12:01 am, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
I've used this one for years, and I like it. Good, fast, and cheap.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,180,42311,4...

I use that one too, and like it. And if you use twist bits, you can
enlarge a smaller diameter hole with a bigger bit, and it'll still be
perpendicular to the surface.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Tanus said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make
holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Att achments

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for
90° but angles could be of use someday.

That sure looks better than the thing I
have from Sears. It's a hoseclamp thing
that uses an extension bar to find the
right angle. And a royal pain in the ass
to use. What you've found may be a
reasonably cheap alternative to a drill
press. Which I should likely just bite
the bullet and buy.

Hmmm.....

Since I posted this, it's gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" at
sears......perhaps I need to keep such things to myself...

--
It's time for everyone to just step back, take a deep breath, relax, and
stop

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you sure about the 90° ????? I mean, @#$%, that's *the* *whole* *POINT*

It's time for everyone to just step back, take a deep breath, relax, and
stop
throwing hissy fits over crossposting.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Tanus said something like:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make
holes
perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Att achments

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for
90° but angles could be of use someday.

That sure looks better than the thing I
have from Sears. It's a hoseclamp thing
that uses an extension bar to find the
right angle. And a royal pain in the ass
to use. What you've found may be a
reasonably cheap alternative to a drill
press. Which I should likely just bite
the bullet and buy.

Hmmm.....

Since I posted this, it's gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" at
sears......perhaps I need to keep such things to myself...

It's a few dollars more than the Sears unit but...

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=2405

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz said something like:

....[rip]...

I don't remember
whether my drill's keyless chuck slipped on the jig, or if the jig's
chuck slipped on the bit.

Ah, ok.

This brings up something I was unprepared for: I had thought that the top
shaft of the jig (that goes into your drill) was hex, not round. The
picture looked a little that way to me, though I must've been wrong.

That bothers me a little: I am not a fan of trying to clamp down my keyless
chuck onto round bits....the black & decker FireStorm I have just doesn't do
a tight enough job.

....[rip]...

--
"Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
"reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction

Nova said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Tanus said something like:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

....[rip]...

Since I posted this, it's gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" at
sears......perhaps I need to keep such things to myself...

It's a few dollars more than the Sears unit but...

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=2405

Is that the same manufacturer I wonder?

--
"Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
"reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!
If you pronounce them with the extra syllable, you will
sound like a complete idiot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
: Are you sure about the 90? ????? I mean, @#$%, that's *the* *whole* *POINT*
: ....

Nothing is going to give you a perfect 90 every time. This is closer
than what you can do freehand. A cheap drill press will be closer. A
good drill press will be closer still, and I'm sure you could spend
thousands of dollars to get even closer.

As I said, there's a little wiggle to the posts. Also, you set the
angle you want and tighten up the screws to set it. So, you can be
off when you set the angle, and the thing can wiggle while you drill.
Not perfect. But maybe good enough.

--- Chip