Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Marketing your woodwork - advice please

I posted this in the binary group and thought that this might also be a good
forum for expert advice.

I've been carving wooden boxes and have found that I really enjoy it. I've
been told I should make them and sell them, hence the questions:

The topic has been bantered about over there in several different threads
but I think it could use some real focus and input.
..
Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit of your
experience?
How do you get your items out there for your buyers to find them?
Where do you put your items for sale?
If you consign, what is a good percentage rate?
Valuing your items - that's a toughie.
Hopefully ya'll will have a lot to teach us 'newbies'

Thanks in advance!

Kate
______
/l ,[____],
l-L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)

The shortest distance between two points,
is a lot more fun in a Jeep!

Posted to rec.woodworking

.
Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit of your
experience?
How do you get your items out there for your buyers to find them?
Where do you put your items for sale?
If you consign, what is a good percentage rate?
Valuing your items - that's a toughie.
Hopefully ya'll will have a lot to teach us 'newbies'

Thanks in advance!

Kate
______
/l ,[____],
l-L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)

The shortest distance between two points,
is a lot more fun in a Jeep!

search the archives of this group using these keywords
"sonomaproducts craft"

you will find a thorough story and comments by others here

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I'd start with an internet web site and list completed pieces on Ebay.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Oct 18, 2007, 1:12pm (EDT-1) er (Kate) doth wander
in dazed and ask:
snip this might also be a good forum for expert advice. snip
I've been told I should make them and sell them, snip
I think it could use some real focus and input.
Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit of
your experience?
How do you get your items out there for your buyers to find them? Where
do you put your items for sale?
If you consign, what is a good percentage rate? Valuing your items -
that's a toughie.
Hopefully ya'll will have a lot to teach us 'newbies'

"Expert" advice? Here? ROTFLMAO

Yeah, I've heard that too. Probably most of us have been told we
could get rich selling our stuff.

Yep, the subject has been beaten to death here any number of times.
Why not once more?

Personally, I think location is an important part of it. You try
selling someting in your small town, you might be able to get $5 each.
You go 20 miles east of town, you can get $10 each. But you go 20 miles
west of town, maybe you can get $15 each. If you went 50 miles down the
road, in either direction, you might get $50 each. And, if you were in
some place like New York City, or Hollywood, you might be able to get
$100-200 for the same piece. There are no hard and fast rules for
selling. As far as pricing, set a price, and if you get swamped with
orders, you know it's too low, and you need to raise the price. Or, if
you don't get any orders, you know you need to lower it.

When you find out, please let the rest of us know. Personally, I
sell a piece here and there, not a lot. I'm not overpriced, people who
buy are content with the price, it's just that I haven't yet found the
right marketplace. It probably doesn't help that I do not like sales
people, and don't want to be one myself. LMAO I need someone that will
come to my shop, hand me money, and take away a batch of my work, then
repeat a week or so later.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kate" wrote:

Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit

of your
experience?

As others have suggested, develop a web site and use ebaY.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , er
says...
.
Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit of your
experience?
How do you get your items out there for your buyers to find them?
Where do you put your items for sale?
If you consign, what is a good percentage rate?
Valuing your items - that's a toughie.

My wife does crafts - knitting, spinning, weaving, felting, and slip casting
ceramic bells. She's spent years tootling around craft shops and co-operatives,
putting her stuff in on a commission basis. Typically they want between 30 and
40% of the end retail price, which is quite a chunk. You have to work out how
you value your time in terms of dollars (and/or fun factor), then add the
commission and see if the buyers will wear the resulting price.
My wife found that with her wonderful homespun garments she can't find buyers
if she asks $2/hr. With the ceramic bells she makes more than 10 times that...
and has difficulty meeting the demand. She's stopped making garments for sale
and sells her felt as wallhangings, goes under 'art' and suddenly commands big
prices, for a lot less work. So it goes, you have to work to consumer tastes.

Obviously, the whole thing starts looking much better when you sell directly or
do commissions, the problem is you have to get your name and work out there
before you begin to get those. Even better if you find a place that buys your
stuff outright to onsell, then your worries stop the moment you drop it off. No
shoplifting, no breakages ... again, most shops will only do that after they
found your stuff sells really well. She's hit that zone with her bell-casting
now.

h.t.h., -Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

Would some of you be willing to share the details of your marketing
strategies and give those of us who are new to the craft the benefit of
your
experience?
How do you get your items out there for your buyers to find them?
Where do you put your items for sale?
If you consign, what is a good percentage rate?

Until you actually meet face to face and shake the hand of someone who is,
and has, been successful (financially) at selling home crafted woodworking,
I suggest you keep your skepticism. That includes EBay where you compete
with China re-sellers and CNC machines.

Simple fact. You cannot compete with a factory. John Henry lost to the
steam power tool, and you will too.

The only way to make money, is to convince the buyer that what they are
buying is more than a simple wood box. What they are buying has some sort
of intangible value added. For example, a unique handcrafted work of an
artisan of exceptional skill, the buyer will possess the bragging rights to
have ownership of an object that their friends will admire and complement
the buyer for her (his) esthetics tastes, the object will be a memento of
some event in the buyer's (owner's) life. If purchased as a gift, the
object will have a emphatic positive reflection on the giver's tastes and
purchase discretion.

The higher the intangible value added, the more car payments you can make.
There must be more ways than I know of, but to me the best is to stay away
from church basements, and step right up to Art Fairs, and Arts and Craft
street shows. The buyer needs to look, feel, and talk to build their
confidence in you (or whoever is selling the item) and the object.

Web site will help to demonstrate to customers that you are more than an
artisan who is unknown to them at the street fair.

Where you choose to sell your craft items is so very important to the
financial success of your enterprise.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

eBay is the perfect place for small items. Don't be discouraged if at
first they don't sell. Just re-list them. Set a buy it now price.
Don't use a hidden price reserve. Use great pictures, not to many.
Share your passion (if you have it) in your listing and point out
things you are really proud of. Figure out the basic shipping cost to
the farthest point away in the states and just define a flat shipping
price, at cost. The lower the better. Just UPS or FedEx Ground.

Consignment sucks except very high-end and when you are a know artist
and can command a better deal. They want 50% and force a low price so
they get theirs. Most of the shops that do it are cheap *******s or
they would just buy it from you.

You can do craft fairs but they are real hit and miss. Only go to
affluent places or shows that are about your type of work. You need
lots of inventory and it ain't easy to get into the juried shows, but
they are the only ones worth it You have to apply usually by January
for the spring, summer and fall shows. It is a bit of chicken and egg;
they want to see photos of your booth but how do you do that for the
first show ever? I set mine up on my front lawn... it fooeld them.

On eBay trick is to put one piece on eBay and have your own site with
lots more stuff listed. eBay doesn't like links out of their site or
direct suggestions but you can just put your web address in a logo
image or on one of your photos and people figure it out. I have a
buddy that makes a living selling photographs that way.

If you are really good and have big capacity, you can find a trade
show that caters to the specialty gift marlet or such and get a booth
and hope for the best. You need to look pretty pro and understand how
they expect to do business but you can go pro that way if you play the
cards right.

BW

On Oct 18, 11:12 am, "Kate" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kate" wrote

I've been carving wooden boxes and have found that I really enjoy it. I've
been told I should make them and sell them, hence the questions:

Your work is too good to just "make and sell carved boxes", Kate. Give some
thought to eventually providing a carving service for other woodworkers.
There are a few of woodworker/carvers who team up on projects and my bet is
that would probably be more fun and rewarding, over time, than making and
carving boxes for sale on eBay/crafts fairs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/17/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Kate,

Having seen your photos of your work at ABPW I can assure you that you
have both uncommon patience and talent.

The lion's share of the market for your talent are people who have the
disposable income to spend on high quality, unique items like yours.
Doctors, lawyers, judges, investment bankers, etc. In addition to eBay
and a web site, the word of mouth advertising that you will get from
just a couple of such satisfied customers will keep you busy carving
indefinitely. Cultivate such contacts where you can, wherever it is that
you live. It is highly likely that at least one such referral will lead
you to a reputable gallery. You've got to get to know the gallery and
consignment folks -- they'll be kinder to you and your work if they know
and *like* you than if you're just some other unknown would-be artiste.

If you make that same box again it will doubtless not be identical to
its predecessor for many reasons. You need to emphasize this trait in
your marketing as it will help you to command the price that your work
deserves. Likewise, employ exotic woods and advertise that you're
willing to take commissions.

Consider also writing magazine articles and/or a book about carving, or
teaching classes at a local college or university known for its
decorative arts programs. Not only will you gain invaluable exposure and
marketing credentials, the rest of us will get a chance to learn
something from you. You may rest assured that all but one or two of us
will accomplish nothing more than to ape your efforts and so will pose
no concern to you as competitors. The one or two that can do what you do
will be welcome to you as colleagues and inspirations -- and you can
learn from them what the market will bear for your work.

All the best,

J.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kate,

While I am not expert, have seen others go thru this.

First off, look around to see if there is a local Arts Council. They
may sponsor shows
where you can exhibit/sell your art to see if there is any interest in
what you do.

The other is totally evaluate your commitment and set reasonable
expectations,
how long do you expect to be in the business, how many units can you
produce,
can you set up a business account, with CC processing, etc. Your local
friend
Better Business Bureau and various groups can help you on what you
need to
do be in business. (Perhaps your bank might help).

Evaluate the competition, if any. Find out what the produce, where
they
sell it and for what price. Talk to them, if they are willing and ask
them what
advice they would give you.

Join a local woodworkers group and make contacts with people who
might be in the general business you want to be in. They might have
references, etc. to push you towards.

A artist friend of mine got a lot of sales by hosting wine/cheese
parties in
her house and built a database of customers. She started by
going to as many art fairs she could afford. While watercolors are
different than boxes, it doesn't hurt to collect information about
people who purchased your product before. They might like to know
about new pieces and/or sales. Remember, they probably have
friends and family admiring your work in their home. Few artists
follow up with this idea. I've dropped my name to a lot of folks, some
of whom I've brought product from and rarely do I hear from them.

Be creative in how you position yourself and your products. Do you
have a web site? Brochures, business cards? Do you send a thank you
card to buyers?

This could be a part-time job or a full time job, the results you
achieve
could be same if you spend 30 or 100 hrs a week. You won't know until
you start tracking the various elements of your business/marketing
plans
(you do have them right?).

Take courses in Marketing through your local community college. I did
and boy I really understood marketing after that. The professor might
act has a sounding board and/or consultant.

Hook up with a group the SCORE which are retired business folks. They
run classes on how to start up a business/write a business plan and
have
consultants (free!) who can look over your shoulder.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

Create a portfolio.

Take many photographs of each work. Put them in a big, fancy notebook,
preferable one with a carved cover.

Use this as a sales tool for commisioned work.

Also, come up with as many applications for your carvings as possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Oct 18, 2007, 1:12pm (EDT-1) er (Kate) doth
sayeth:
snip I've been carving snip

Upong reading the o ther responses, and thinking a bit more, come
up with a bit more.

I tried eBay. Couple of postings, zip, on two items. Then got a
bidder for both. Turned out he didn't pay, and was "barred" from eBay.
However, it's my understanding he'd been barred before. I've followed a
number of things on eBay, not bidding just wanting to see h ow they
did. I wouldn't recommend eBay.

Tried a couple of consignment s hops. Not thrilled. One took my
item, but claimed no interested after a month. Went back to take it
back, and found out it was bing "displayed" under a table, next to a
wall. I'm not sure anyone even saw it. I doubt I will try consignment
again.

I've got a friend who makes some nice little boxes. He sells the
majority of his at craft shows. I guess around $40-50 is an average
price, and apparently he sells out each show. I believe he does 4-5
shows a year. I've not tried myself, but sounds workable. Thing with
that is, my feeling is you'd want two people. Then you'll always have
someone at your booth/table, even if the other goes for food, bathroom,
looking, etc.

Flea markets. I think my stuff would do well here, but don't have
anyone to gowith me - two people, same as craft show. I'm thinking of
taking in a few to se if any of the sellers would be interested in
taking some on consignment, or just buy them for resale.

Mainly the thought of becoming a sales person holds me back. I
hate that. That's one reason I would like a flea market, or craft show,
I could sit there and read, and if someone wanted one they would give me
money and take one away, otherwise they would just look and not bother
me. I think that way of selling would make me satisfied. Of course,
the best way would still be someone pull up to my shop, take my stuff,
hand me money, and leave. I could definitely learn to love that.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thank you all so much

I hoped for a little advice and was amazed at just how much good information
all of you have to offer.
Thanks to everyone for your replies and information.

.. Surely I'm going to crack my shin on the coffee table in the dark now and
then, but your help will make the journey a little less tedious.
I'll let you know how it goes, now I need to get bacl to whittlin on wood or
no matter how much I know, I won't have any to sell!

Thanks so much

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 12:53 pm, "Kate" wrote:
I hoped for a little advice and was amazed at just how much good information
all of you have to offer.
Thanks to everyone for your replies and information.

. Surely I'm going to crack my shin on the coffee table in the dark now and
then, but your help will make the journey a little less tedious.
I'll let you know how it goes, now I need to get bacl to whittlin on wood or
no matter how much I know, I won't have any to sell!

Thanks so much

Kate

Lots of big corporations are always on the lookout for unique and
special items to give to their clients, sales staff etc. You boxes
would certainly make that grade.