Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to adjust stuck french door

I have a new french door installation which worked great until it
started to rain here in Seattle, and now it sticks, right around the
latches. I figure I need to plane a bit off the side(s) of the
door(s), but I am not sure which side(s) are best to plane down.I
anticipate taking 1/8 inch maximum off, but is it best to take it off
the latch sides or the hinge sides?

Posted to rec.woodworking

the hinge side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a new french door installation which worked great until it
started to rain here in Seattle, and now it sticks, right around the
latches. I figure I need to plane a bit off the side(s) of the
door(s), but I am not sure which side(s) are best to plane down.I
anticipate taking 1/8 inch maximum off, but is it best to take it off
the latch sides or the hinge sides?

Before you cut anything try spraying a bit of silicone on the spot where the
rubbing is at. Chances are that the spot will loosen up with seasonal
changes and you don't want a bigger gap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
t:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a new french door installation which worked great until it
started to rain here in Seattle, and now it sticks,

Before you cut anything try spraying a bit of silicone on the spot
where the rubbing is at.

May I recomend you try rubbing on some beeswax before you try thre
silicone. The reason for this is that the silicone will soak into the wood
(I'm assuming you're talking about bare wood here). Beeswax will sit on
the surface and can be scraped off if you need to paint or do other work.
Parafin from a candle or block of sealing wax could also be used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1192478850.058979.141320
@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have a new french door installation which worked great until it
started to rain here in Seattle, and now it sticks, right around the
latches. I figure I need to plane a bit off the side(s) of the
door(s), but I am not sure which side(s) are best to plane down.I
anticipate taking 1/8 inch maximum off, but is it best to take it off
the latch sides or the hinge sides?

First, look at the top and bottom of the door. If they are not sealed, the
first thing to do is to sela them with a good quality varnish or sealer.

Next, if the margin at the hinge sides of the door is greater than the
thickness of your tr-=square blade, you could back shim the hinges. do this
by loosening the hinges in the jamb and insert a small piece (s) of paper
board ( thin cardboard) under the stop side of the hinge. then tighten the
screws back up. This will have the effect of moving the center of the pin
toward the jamb, thus opening the margin at the meeting part.

If that doesn't solve the entire problem, you might try bending the hinges
toward the jambs by using a 10/12" crescent wrench on the jamb hinges and
bend them back slightly. Be mindful that the margin at the jamb will be
getting tighter with these ideas, so you don't want to over-do either one.

These are the first things I do when trying to shim a steel door in a steel
frame that doesn't quite fit right.

Good Luck