Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FWW articles

I finally got the FWW with the bandsaw article from the library. While I
agree that something is fishy, it's not the only one.

In another article, the author mixes Zinsser white and orange shellac to
put on pine, and then mixes three different oil based stains with linseed
oil and mineral spirits to get the final color he wants. Finally, he
topcoats with varnish because "poly won't stick to the shellac."

Has he never heard of dewaxed shellac? And I'd bet I could duplicate the
color he's after by simply mixing a little brown mahogany dye with Zinsser
Sealcoat. I know I've matched alder with a weak mix of the same. I'd
also bet that the oil stains and varnish don't stick to waxy shellac
very well either.

And in a third article, the author again used Zinsser shellac but
topcoated it with, you guessed it, poly. Didn't read the second article,
obviously :-).

Three bad articles in one issue. Is this the record?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Has he never heard of dewaxed shellac? And I'd bet I could duplicate the
color he's after by simply mixing a little brown mahogany dye with Zinsser
Sealcoat. I know I've matched alder with a weak mix of the same. I'd
also bet that the oil stains and varnish don't stick to waxy shellac
very well either.

It is not a matter of overall color; he is trying to control the color of
various parts of the grain and to add depth to the finish.
Personally I can't see it, but perhaps he can.

I read a book by a Nobel Prize Laureate who advised the reader not to feel
bad if he can't grasp quantum mechanics intuitively, as the author can't
either. In fact, he suspects that anyone who says they can is deluding
themselves.
It may (or may not be) the same with those who require 4 stains to achieve
the desire effect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

I read a book by a Nobel Prize Laureate who advised the reader not to feel
bad if he can't grasp quantum mechanics intuitively, as the author can't
either. In fact, he suspects that anyone who says they can is deluding
themselves.

That was probably Richard Feynman. I seem to remember him saying something
like "Don't worry if you don't understand it; NOBODY understands it."

RIP, that fine old scientist.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Blanchard wrote:
I finally got the FWW with the bandsaw article from the library. While I
agree that something is fishy, it's not the only one.

In another article, the author mixes Zinsser white and orange shellac to
put on pine, and then mixes three different oil based stains with linseed
oil and mineral spirits to get the final color he wants. Finally, he
topcoats with varnish because "poly won't stick to the shellac."

And in a third article, the author again used Zinsser shellac but
topcoated it with, you guessed it, poly. Didn't read the second article,
obviously :-).

Actually, there was a letter and response to the last of the above in
the last issue. Might check it out, but basically it says her
experience is long and positive w/ the finish she describes...

Finishing is one thing where everybody has even more than one...I
personally wouldn't rate either of these articles as "bad", just
"different strokes".

$0.02, etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Dacon wrote:

That was probably Richard Feynman. I seem to remember him saying something
like "Don't worry if you don't understand it; NOBODY understands it."

RIP, that fine old scientist.

He was far more than a scientist and he never bought into old,
keeping his child's sense of curiosity and wonder. I hear he was
pretty decent bongo player too. Amazing human being. Sure
could use more Feynmans.

charlie b