Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to refinish plywood floor

Is there a recommended way to refinish a plywood floor?
The workshop on the corner of my lot was built in the early '40s and has a
plywood floor.
I cleaned it as preparation for painting and it looks pretty good in many
places, so I'm wondering if there's anyway to finish it as though it was
hardwood. I might rent a floor sander but don't know what to expect since it
is plywood: I can imagine going through every ply, trying to get a smooth
surface.
A complete waste of time?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote in
:

Is there a recommended way to refinish a plywood floor?
The workshop on the corner of my lot was built in the early '40s and
has a plywood floor.
I cleaned it as preparation for painting and it looks pretty good in
many places, so I'm wondering if there's anyway to finish it as though
it was hardwood. I might rent a floor sander but don't know what to
expect since it is plywood: I can imagine going through every ply,
trying to get a smooth surface.
A complete waste of time?

You might want to take a "core sample" somewhere. If it's 1940's
plywood, it could be really good stuff, with quality material in each
layer.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William Andersen" wrote:

Is there a recommended way to refinish a plywood floor?
The workshop on the corner of my lot was built in the early '40s and

has a
plywood floor.
I cleaned it as preparation for painting and it looks pretty good in

many
places, so I'm wondering if there's anyway to finish it as though it

was
hardwood.

I'd patch any damaged areas then paint with a goods oil based porch
and floor enamel along with the proper primer.

That's assuming you can find good oil based P&F these days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

I'd patch any damaged areas then paint with a goods oil based porch
and floor enamel along with the proper primer.

That's assuming you can find good oil based P&F these days.

Lew

Agreed. And or use an epoxy garage floor paint and roll it on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for suggesting the epoxy - I never thought of that.
My original intent was to clean the floor and paint it so that it would be
clean, and also to brighten the place up a bit. When I scrubbed one section,
the wood was a beautiful golden color. That's when I wondered if there was
any way to attempt refinishing plywood: some sections are just dirty, others
have been painted with different colors and types of paint over the years.
I think I'll try a light sanding - it will at least remove some dirt.
I had originally thought of varnishing it, if it looks nice, instead of
painting it. But, I think the epoxy will be a better idea than varnish: more
durable and available in lighter colors.