Posted to rec.woodworking

Default metal tool chest. liners?

Yeah, I know. Wooden chests are better, but I got this one free.
Large, 24 x 36 x 18" tall. Should be big enough to house my
hand tool kit, including the planes that seem to have bred over
the past years. Only hazard I forsee is condensation; can
this be prevented with a 1/4" plywood or carpet liner, walls
and floor, or should I use the box to store plumbing fittings
and build a "proper" plywood chest?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah, I know. Wooden chests are better, but I got this one free.
Large, 24 x 36 x 18" tall. Should be big enough to house my
hand tool kit, including the planes that seem to have bred over
the past years. Only hazard I forsee is condensation; can
this be prevented with a 1/4" plywood or carpet liner, walls
and floor, or should I use the box to store plumbing fittings
and build a "proper" plywood chest?

If humidity is a problem, a wooden tool box is no better than a steel box.
The condensation will still accumulate on the steel tools and only if there
is a relatively quick and large temperature change. Condensation is caused
by introducing a cold object to a warm humid environment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:56:09 -0700, Ferd Farkel wrote:

Yeah, I know. Wooden chests are better, but I got this one free.
Large, 24 x 36 x 18" tall. Should be big enough to house my
hand tool kit, including the planes that seem to have bred over
the past years. Only hazard I forsee is condensation; can
this be prevented with a 1/4" plywood or carpet liner, walls
and floor, or should I use the box to store plumbing fittings
and build a "proper" plywood chest?

I've been keeping hand tools in metal "Craftsman" type chests for years with no
problem... even in the States, when they were in a garage with a washer and
dryer nearby..

If you have a condensation problem, then as Leon said, what the drawers are made
of isn't going to matter much..

If you want to buy a little piece of mind, these are available:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...28&cat=1,43326

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with the others, but to soften the bottoms of the drawers I use
shelf liner. Not the paper type but the foam type that looks like mesh. Its
alot less expensive than going to sears and buying tool box drawer
liners...Contact brand call it "Grip Liner".

--
Rich Harris

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah, I know. Wooden chests are better, but I got this one free.
Large, 24 x 36 x 18" tall. Should be big enough to house my
hand tool kit, including the planes that seem to have bred over
the past years. Only hazard I forsee is condensation; can
this be prevented with a 1/4" plywood or carpet liner, walls
and floor, or should I use the box to store plumbing fittings
and build a "proper" plywood chest?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 3:29 pm, "Rich" wrote:
I agree with the others, but to soften the bottoms of the drawers I use
shelf liner. Not the paper type but the foam type that looks like mesh. Its
alot less expensive than going to sears and buying tool box drawer
liners...Contact brand call it "Grip Liner".

Already got the carpet, saved from a job. 1/2" plush,
nice and gentle on razor sharp irons so I don't have
to retract them before stowing the planes. Spray on
a bit of WD40 and it'll fumigate the chest.

TOOL CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 12:40 AM
Tool Chest Finished Leon Woodworking 22 May 26th 06 02:20 PM
CLASSIC TOOL CHEST J T Woodworking 0 January 12th 06 11:23 AM
WOODEN TOOL CHEST J T Woodworking 0 January 12th 06 09:23 AM
#413 Classic Tool Chest Chris S Woodturning 1 October 16th 03 07:07 PM