Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust collection - bigger is better?

So I've been thinking about dust collection a bit lately. At work we
have a big 2 stage system with a bunch of bags. This thing runs all
day and I'm sure it sucks up some serious juice. Even setting aside
from some glaring inefficiencies in our duct work (don't get me
started), it seems like a pretty wasteful use of energy.

Now let's cut to a smaller shop - say 4,000sf or so. In my dream
world I'd have an Ecogate system with the power control unit to vary
the CFM of my blower, but let's be a bit more realistic... Given the
relatively low cost of small cyclones with excellent filters, would it
be more efficient from an electrical efficiency standpoint to have
some of those hooked up to a few machines each than it would be to
power up a large centralized unit every time? I'm ingnoring the pain
in the ass factor of emptying a bunch of different cyclones. I don't
even know where I'm going with this, but it's been kicking around in
my head and it needed to be out.

The more I read what I'm writing the more I think a top quality system
with sealed ductwork and excellent dust shrouds is the way to go.
Leaky duct work is one of my pet peeves. That, and guys who don't
unscrew the clamp handles when they're done.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

| would it be more efficient from an electrical efficiency standpoint
| to have some of those hooked up to a few machines each than it
| would be to power up a large centralized unit every time?

From an electrical efficiency standpoint, it'd be most efficient to
have a setup that exactly matched DC characteristics for each machine
and minimized the length of the ducting.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Given the
relatively low cost of small cyclones with excellent filters, would it
be more efficient from an electrical efficiency standpoint to have
some of those hooked up to a few machines each than it would be to
power up a large centralized unit every time?

You'd have to do a survey of your machine use. How many are in use at any
given time? Running a large system for one or two machines is not very
efficient, but if you are running most machines most of the time, it is more
efficient.

Once you know hte actual machine use, you can use the power consumption of
one large or the smaller groups to determine the actual cost.

It is common for manufacturing to have lighting, compressors, boilers, etc,
come on in stages as needed when there are many variables.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 3:56 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

| would it be more efficient from an electrical efficiency standpoint
| to have some of those hooked up to a few machines each than it
| would be to power up a large centralized unit every time?

From an electrical efficiency standpoint, it'd be most efficient to
have a setup that exactly matched DC characteristics for each machine
and minimized the length of the ducting.

Ahhh...it's so nice when something is stated clearly and succinctly.
Thank you.
JP