Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strange coating on cast iron

Went to do some bandsaw work today and noticed that my table had a high
friction coating on it. Nothing that I have knowingly put on it would cause
this. I checked my jointer, table saw, drill press and sander and all of
the cast iron tables had a similar coating. Coating is clear with no smell,
no sticky feeling, no rust just a high friction feel. Cleaned all tables
with denatured alcohal and rewaxed and now they are a slick as ever. Slow
drizzel type rain (1/2 inch in 24 hours) has moved in after about 12 weeks
of no rain and about 3 weeks of 100+ temps. Temp today was in the low 80s.
Any one have an idea of what could have caused this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:16:44 -0500, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:

Went to do some bandsaw work today and noticed that my table had a high
friction coating on it. Nothing that I have knowingly put on it would cause
this. I checked my jointer, table saw, drill press and sander and all of
the cast iron tables had a similar coating. Coating is clear with no smell,
no sticky feeling, no rust just a high friction feel. Cleaned all tables
with denatured alcohal and rewaxed and now they are a slick as ever. Slow
drizzel type rain (1/2 inch in 24 hours) has moved in after about 12 weeks
of no rain and about 3 weeks of 100+ temps. Temp today was in the low 80s.
Any one have an idea of what could have caused this?

Just a guess, but the combination of high heat and a sudden change in
the humidity probably interacted with the wax, especially if you had a
pretty heavy coating on them.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just a guess, but the combination of high heat and a sudden change in
the humidity probably interacted with the wax, especially if you had a
pretty heavy coating on them.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

That was my thought also, but I have never had anything like this happen in
the past. Wax was Johnson's paste and was well past time to renew so it
shouldn't have been to thick. Tools did get warm to the touch during the
hot weather. Wooden and plastic surfaces that were also waxed like the cast
iron did not show any signs of the coating. Only found the coating on
horizontal cast iron. It has me wondering what is going on. I have been
using a lot of pine the past few weeks, I wonder if that may have anything
to do with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The pine might be a clue.

Any chance it was fairly pitchy and the machines threw pitchy sawdust into
the air?

Not sure why it wouldn't have affected other surfaces.

Old Guy

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Old guy" wrote in message
The pine might be a clue.

Any chance it was fairly pitchy and the machines threw pitchy sawdust into
the air?

Not sure why it wouldn't have affected other surfaces.

Old Guy

Could be. The pine didn't seem very pitchy though and none was used on the
drill press. Temp was hot enough to fry eggs in the shop so I guess that
could have something to do with it. Just seems strange that it would show
up now instead of some time sooner when I was working with the wood. I was
also working with red oak and poplar during that time and didn't notice any
problems. I guess I will just blame the pine and temp change and let it go
at that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:05:34 -0500, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:

"Old guy" wrote in message
The pine might be a clue.

Any chance it was fairly pitchy and the machines threw pitchy sawdust into
the air?

Not sure why it wouldn't have affected other surfaces.

Old Guy

Could be. The pine didn't seem very pitchy though and none was used on the
drill press. Temp was hot enough to fry eggs in the shop so I guess that
could have something to do with it. Just seems strange that it would show
up now instead of some time sooner when I was working with the wood. I was
also working with red oak and poplar during that time and didn't notice any
problems. I guess I will just blame the pine and temp change and let it go
at that.

The problem wouldn't be at the high temperature, but when it cools and
the humidity goes up. Still, it sounds a bit strange. Might be aliens
at work.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:05:34 -0500, "sweet sawdust"

The problem wouldn't be at the high temperature, but when it cools and
the humidity goes up. Still, it sounds a bit strange. Might be aliens
at work.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Do you think I should call the X Files?

PVC to cast iron Keith Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:02 PM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
cast iron; Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 3 September 19th 04 05:12 AM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM