Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Painting NEW cabinets

We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a desk.
The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the wood
doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid maple
cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few people
about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried two
different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond and then
paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24 hours, the
primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried #2 - Sand the
surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we got the same
results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger nail.

Are we being too hopeful or anxious in our attempts to make sure the
paint stays affixed to the doors? We are planning on putting on a
enamel black finish.

Can anyone help with this endeavor?

Thanks
Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

"avallk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Maybe the problem is that you trying to put a latex finish over an oil
finish. That usually results in the latex finish peeling off. I think there
is a particular type of primer that you use for this scenerio.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Lewis wrote:
"avallk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That could be the problem. Or you could sand a little more thoroughly,
starting with a coarser grit, then going back with the 220 before priming.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 10:02 am, "Mike Lewis" wrote:
"avallk" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I don't believe it was Latex as we had to use mineral spirits to clean
the gun and our hands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 10:12 am, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:
Mike Lewis wrote:
"avallk" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Even the place that we got down to what we believed was bare wood
scraped off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

avallk wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:12 am, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:
Mike Lewis wrote:
"avallk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If you are really down to bare wood and the primer still scrapes off,
I'd say either you are scraping too hard, or there is something wrong
with the primer. I'd try a different type just to be on the safe side,
making sure it is recommended for use on bare wood.