Bluetobb

Default Recommendations on a book as a gift

My brother in-law is getting a low end table saw for his birthday from
his parents ($100-$200). My wife and I decided to get him a book and a
feather board to go along with it. I am having a hard time finding a
good book for him. My brother in-law does not have many tools. Table
saw, and Drill might be all for power tools. He has no interest in
getting into woodworking as a hobby. I am looking for a book that
would have a few projects using the few basic power tools and 2x4's or
other wood from the Borg. I have seen such books but I can't find them
now. I was thinking a book with four or five projects maybe with patio
furniture or simple things for the house. I am sure he will not care
too much about the finer points of woodworking, wood, or tools he will
just want to use the book to play with his new TS toy.

Any advice on what book to buy him would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Bowles

Also look at Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking books 1&2.

On 23 Sep 2003 10:16:02 -0700, (Bluetobb) wrote:

BTW I am also planning on buying Mehler's book for myself.

Bluetobb

That is what I went to Borders to buy him (The mehler book), but they
were out of the book. Then I talked to my mother-law about it and she
thinks that he won't really use that type of book. He will never make
a jig and he probably will never have the saw aligned as well as it
should be (unless I get a crack at it hehe). So from the discussion I
gathered that what he is really looking for is just some directions to
make very simple easy projects just to try out his new toy. Then it is
likely it will only get used once or twice a year after that. I would
just pull down some stuff from the internet but that really does not
look like a gift even if it is wrapped.

I think a subscription to a woodworking magazine would pretty much be
wasted on him as I doubt he would read even the first one.

BTW I am also planning on buying Mehler's book for myself. 11111

(PC Gameplayer) wrote in message . com...
You might want to take a look at "The Tablesaw Book" by Kelly Mehler.
You can find it at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/ocod

(I just shrunk the URL, but it'll take you there...). I've not read
the book but it gets high marks from newbies and...well...oldbies?
(C;. Hope this helps...

Jim

(Bluetobb) wrote in message . com...
[...]

C Wood

"Bluetobb" wrote in message
om...
: My brother in-law is getting a low end table saw for his birthday from
: his parents ($100-$200). My wife and I decided to get him a book and a
: feather board to go along with it. I am having a hard time finding a
: good book for him. My brother in-law does not have many tools. Table
: saw, and Drill might be all for power tools. He has no interest in
: getting into woodworking as a hobby. I am looking for a book that
: would have a few projects using the few basic power tools and 2x4's or
: other wood from the Borg. I have seen such books but I can't find them
: now. I was thinking a book with four or five projects maybe with patio
: furniture or simple things for the house. I am sure he will not care
: too much about the finer points of woodworking, wood, or tools he will
: just want to use the book to play with his new TS toy.
:
: Any advice on what book to buy him would be greatly appreciated.

Sign him up for tool porn catalogs, all of 'em.

Charlie Self

tarance notes:

That is what I went to Borders to buy him (The mehler book), but they
were out of the book. Then I talked to my mother-law about it and she
thinks that he won't really use that type of book. He will never make
a jig and he probably will never have the saw aligned as well as it
should be (unless I get a crack at it hehe). So from the discussion I
gathered that what he is really looking for is just some directions to
make very simple easy projects just to try out his new toy. Then it is
likely it will only get used once or twice a year after that. I would
just pull down some stuff from the internet but that really does not
look like a gift even if it is wrapped.

Give some thought to Dover. www.doverpublications.com

John Nelson has at least one the Easy-to-Make Antique Furniture
Reproductions: 15 Small Projects

Fox Chapel is another good small woodworking book publisher.
www.foxchapelpublishing.com

John Nelson (busy guy) has one coming out there shortly: A Woodworker's Guide
to Making Traditional Mirrors and Picture Frames

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit
soft."
Theodore Roosevelt

Buttonhole McGee

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:16:02 -0700, Bluetobb wrote:

[...]

I hear you, and I'm not trying to convince you to get the Mehler book for
him, but the picture you're painting of this guy is a little bit Homer
Simpson-ish (one episode reveals an awful spice rack he made). That's
fine, but one thing I thought was valuable in Mehler's book was safety
information.

If dude is going to be cutting loose with a high-powered, carbide-tipped,
digit-lopping Wheel Of Doom, it would be comforting to think he'd taken 20
minutes to browse a book (perhaps a library copy) that could keep him from
becoming another story in a future WoodWhacking Wound Show-n-Tell thread.

Maybe somebody could make a 5-minute safety cartoon for the
attention-span-impaired. Get a safety mascot, a la the NRA's Eddie the
Eagle. Maybe Precious the Pushstick, a peppy persian with the fur buzz-cut down
half her face.

Hmmm.
Mark Jerde

"Bluetobb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hummm.... No interest in woodworking + a table saw??? "First Aid" or
"Selling Your White Elephants On EBay" come to mind. eg

-- Mark

Silvan

Bluetobb wrote:

likely it will only get used once or twice a year after that. I would
just pull down some stuff from the internet but that really does not
look like a gift even if it is wrapped.

It does if it's bound. I have a comb binding machine and a laser
printer, so I can get away with that. "I got you the special spiral-bound
edition so it will lay flat." cough

I think a subscription to a woodworking magazine would pretty much be
wasted on him as I doubt he would read even the first one.

No offense, but this brother-in-law of yours sounds like a total dingus.
Why does he even want a table saw in the first place?

If he's not going to actually use it, then books and stuff are probably a
total waste, so buy him some hearing protectors, safety glasses and dust
masks.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17895 Approximate word count: 536850

David Hall

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message ws.com...
"Bluetobb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yeah, I was going to suggest a nice first aid kit with tourniquets & such.

Dave Hall
Bluetobb

He wants a TS because he thinks it would be nice to have around the
house for when he does small projects on the house. Not the first tool
I would recommend for his needs but hey it's his B-day.

I really like the tool porn idea it would probably get more use. Not
sure what my mother in-law would think though.

I have already encouraged his parents to get him a book on saftey.

CW

If he has no interest in woodworking, why is everyone so intent on buying
him woodworking tools? Maybe it's just me but I always thought the best gift
was something the recipient wanted. Lack of interest also tends to lead to
accidents. Maybe want to rethink the gift.

"Bluetobb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rob Bowman

... He has no interest in getting into woodworking as a hobby.

Oh, really? Just wait till he feels the mighty roar unleashed by his
new woodcutting beast. Forget the book. Buy him a router. If you
definitely want to give a book, then find your sister's old address
book. She's going to need a need a new partner very soon.