Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default medallion for blanket chest

I am fairly new to furniture making and have just finished a blanklet
chest as a birthday gift to my wife. I'm looking to put a brass
medallion on the front, just a decoritive piece maybe 3" by 6".
I'm not even sure what these could be called.
Any ideas for sources for this type of piece?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 1:33 pm, rlz wrote:
I am fairly new to furniture making and have just finished a blanklet
chest as a birthday gift to my wife. I'm looking to put a brass
medallion on the front, just a decoritive piece maybe 3" by 6".
I'm not even sure what these could be called.
Any ideas for sources for this type of piece?

Try he
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....tegory.-111/.f

or DAGS "brass chest hardware"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:33:42 -0700, rlz wrote:

I'm looking to put a brass medallion on the front,

Brass looks cheap. If it's oak, walnut or something dark, then use
copper instead, You can patinate this, or just let it age naturally.
For other colours, consider silver, or pewter. Compared to the work or
cost of making the thing, the materials cost is cheap, even for silver.

You might have this piece engraved by a local silversmith, or have some
repousse work done to it. If you have the skills for it (as a start, can
you draw or carve?) then you can do it yourself. Especially on pewter,
any woodworker with the hand and eye to sketch moderately well can work
a metal plaque by punches into repousse on a pitch block and some punch
or graver work on the front.

3" x 6" sounds _far_ too big too. It'll look like a coffin!

BLANKET BOX/CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 March 5th 07 04:12 PM
BLANKET CHEST - TRADITIONAL - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 01:48 AM
BLANKET CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 01:38 AM
SHAKER BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 12:55 AM
BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 1 January 21st 05 10:42 PM