Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXCI

Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in news:46b19549$0$4930
:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1049. A nose fuze from an atrillery shell or mortar rocket
1050. Wiring or grounding block
1051a/b. I was going to say a was a tamp of some sort, but b is a flail for
seperating grain from husks, so I assume a is also.
1052. Assembly wedge used to keep parts together during manufacture
1053. Fiber optic "magnifying glass" used in night vision gear
1054.??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 04:26:54 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1049: fuze for anti aircraft shell---adjustable altitude of explosion
1050: cable connector---incoming circuit box
1051a-b: serial killer gadgets?
1052: no idea....but I'd open paint cans with it
1053: photographer's negative magnifier?
1054: Bruce Lee chop-socky movie weapon?
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1053 looks like a fiber-optic image reducer/flattener for a night vision
scope.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 4:26 am, "R.H." wrote:
Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1054 is a slater's hook. It was a portable cutting edge. The barb
sticks into a rafter or strapping, the slate to be cut or punched is
held on top of the beveled cutting edge, and the beveled edge of the
slater's hammer is used to trim the slate. Pointy end of the hammer
pokes the holes for the nails.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hmmm... 1049 may indeed be a shell fuse, but it seems strange to me they
would bother plating something like that.

Also it kind of looks to me like it's had a good bit of use, and I'm not
talking 'explosive like' looking use.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:48:27 GMT, Erik wrote:

Hmmm... 1049 may indeed be a shell fuse, but it seems strange to me they
would bother plating something like that.

Also it kind of looks to me like it's had a good bit of use, and I'm not
talking 'explosive like' looking use.

Erik

The Navy may plate components such as this to prevent salt water
corrosion.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 1:34 pm, dav1936531 wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:48:27 GMT, Erik wrote:
Hmmm... 1049 may indeed be a shell fuse, but it seems strange to me they
would bother plating something like that.

Also it kind of looks to me like it's had a good bit of use, and I'm not
talking 'explosive like' looking use.

Erik

The Navy may plate components such as this to prevent salt water
corrosion.
Dave

And, I'm guessing, there were probably quite a few of them used in
training classes. Those would have a much better chance to end up in
somebody's collection than the pieces that actually went to war.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1049 looks like it might be the nose of a time fused artillery shell.
Perhaps an AA shell.

Steve R.

--
Return address munged, to bugger up spammers!
"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1049) A fuze for some form of munitions. I think that it is probably
for a mortar, based on the size.

The bronze ring sets it for a specific time after firing before
it blows up -- or perhaps (if an artillery shell) a specific
altitude above ground.

1050) A splicing block for heavy gauge wires inside power
distribution blocks. At a guess, it is sized for a maximum
of 3-0 or 4-0 wire. I say a splicing block instead of a
termination because the only through hole is too small for a
heavy enough bolt to carry the current that the wires could
bring in, so it must be just for attaching it to an insulator
block.

1051) My guess that that both are for processing grain (breaking the
husk and keeping the kernel). The second one is fastened to the
end of short a chain, with a handle on the other end, and it is
swung around the head of the user, so I suspect that it would be
used for standing grain, while the first would be used on grain
loose on a floor.

1052) Looks like a removable handle for some kind of mechanical
(not electrical) switch. It pivots around the cross-pin, and
the end slides some mechanism in something.

1053) A fiber optics magnifier (as oriented) or image reducer.

The giveaway is the greater brightness at the bottom as it sits.

1054) An interesting design of a harvesting tool -- at a guess for
something like sugar cane.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Lloyd E. Sponenburgh :

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1053 looks like a fiber-optic image reducer/flattener for a night vision
scope.

Interesting that so many have identified it as night vision
related.

I used to work for the Army Night Vision Labs, and while I have
seen fiber optics blocks used to couple multiple stages of the old image
intensifiers, and used to twist an image 180 degrees (when replacing a
first generation intensifier which inverted the image with a
second-generation one which did not, I have not seen one like the one
here.

What night vision system was it used in?

I guess that it could be used on the input side, to allow
imaging with a larger lens, or perhaps to shrink the output side to a
smaller (but brighter) area as an extra stage of gain for free.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted set 191:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hmmm... 1049 may indeed be a shell fuse, but it seems strange to me they
would bother plating something like that.

Erik

Now you know how they come up with cost "overruns".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Brent Beal :

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted set 191:

[ ... ]

Hmmm... 1049 may indeed be a shell fuse, but it seems strange to me they
would bother plating something like that.

[ ... ]

Now you know how they come up with cost "overruns".

I think that the plating would increase the chances that it
would work after being battered in the field -- especially likely with a
mortar round, which is likely to be set up and used in the rain. Also,
Anti-Aircraft rounds might be kept exposed to the weather for a while
until some enemy aircraft come around to be shot at, so having something
which won't rust or otherwise corrode in the field is worth a bit of
extra money for the plating.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

I was going to say that it's a thing from a chandelier, kind of like
a little translucent lampshade. But it's not clear from the photo if it's
solid or a bell-shaped sort of thing.

Thanks!
Rich