Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood flooring at top of stairs

Has anyone installed hardwood flooring and had to deal with the top of a
flight of stairs? I've laid hardwood in the past with great success but I
haven't had to deal with stairs before. My question is how do I secure the
pre made bull nose piece? It has a flat edge so I don't think the floor
nailer will secure it well. Do I just use construction adhesive? Will that
be enough to hold it. I don't want to use screws through the top because
then I will need to plug them.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:56:25 -0300, "Scott"
wrote:

Has anyone installed hardwood flooring and had to deal with the top of a
flight of stairs? I've laid hardwood in the past with great success but I
haven't had to deal with stairs before.

Just did it... Did it for a living 20 years ago.

My question is how do I secure the
pre made bull nose piece? It has a flat edge so I don't think the floor
nailer will secure it well.

Hide the nails under the baseboard or shoe. It's OK to have some
sort of molding on the top step, even if it's only on the hallway
side. If your floor nailer won't get close enough to the side, use a
15 ga. finish nailer or hand driven finish nails. The edge that hangs
over the last riser can be attached from below or allowed to float.

Does anyone have any advice?

Have fun, don't get hung up on the view from you knees. Look at the
floor from a standing position...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had this same problem but I had no walls with molding to cover the
surface nails with. I had to do some detail work with a router to get
the hardwood floor to meet flush with the base molding of the banster
which was attaced to the subfloor. At any rate, I used Bostik's Best
Hardwood floor glue (can be user for solid hardwood according to
bostik) and glued the stair nose peice down first. I then inserted
and glued a spline (a.k.a. slip toung) in the grove on the back of the
stair nose so that I could reverse the direction of the installation
and work away from the stairnose peice. (Note: I put the stairnose
peice in first.). Then I used the standard floor nailer to nail the
stairnose peice (through the spline) to the subfloor. Note: I waited
for the glue on the stainose peice to fully cure before nailing and
continueing. This process left a very clean and highly durable
finished product.