Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: And It's Only Noon in L/A

Not at all related to wood working, but it's life I guess.

The news reports are coming in.

Yesterday, two(2) off duty police officers were killed in separate
traffic accidents.

Yesterday, the police chief's mother died.

Yesterday, Tom Snyder, TV host died.

Today, Bill Walsh, Pro football coach died.

Today, a retired police officer was killed while being robbed.

And it's only noon, west coast time.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

And it's only noon, west coast time.

.... and Marvin "slime-in-the-ice-machine" Zindler died yesterday (AKA known
as the busybody who closed down the Chicken Ranch (best lil' whorehouse in
Texas)).

I was one ****ed Aggie when he did that, but I'll miss taking his calls and
joking with his many friends who called my home number by mistake ...
apparently one digit removed from his.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I was one ****ed Aggie when he did that, but I'll miss taking his calls
and joking with his many friends who called my home number by mistake
... apparently one digit removed from his.

Oh my heavens, a brand new opportunity for Aggie jokes.

Just a minor rework of all those old Pollack jokes. G

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .net, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Swingman wrote:

I was one ****ed Aggie when he did that, but I'll miss taking his calls
and joking with his many friends who called my home number by mistake
... apparently one digit removed from his.

Oh my heavens, a brand new opportunity for Aggie jokes.

Just a minor rework of all those old Pollack jokes. G

They get recycled a lot, in different ways in different places. I never heard
a Polack joke until I moved to Illinois; in the part of Michigan where I grew
up, the jokes were the same, except they were all Dutchman jokes. And I used
to work with a guy of Polish ancestry who grew up in New Jersey -- he told me
they had the same jokes there, too, except they were about Italians, and he
didn't hear a Polack joke for the first time until he moved to Ohio at the age
of thirty. When I moved to Indiana, I discovered that the same jokes are
Kentuckian jokes here. And I bet on the other side of the river, they tell
jokes about Hoosiers.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

... and Marvin "slime-in-the-ice-machine" Zindler died yesterday (AKA
known as the busybody who closed down the Chicken Ranch (best lil'
whorehouse in Texas)).

A "Busy Body" or a religious zealot trying to interfere with man's
most fundamental instinct.

Organized religion has attempted to control man's breeding patterns
since time immortal, but they just can't seem to get the job done.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .net, Lew
Hodgett wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[...]

OK, a challenge for breadth of knowledge on the the wreck -- rework _this_
ethinc joke to a different group --

Q. Who was Alexander Graham Kowalski?

A. The first telephone POLE!

Of course, one way to silence the 'dumb'-typification ethnic jokes is to ask:
Can you read {nationality-language}?
Can you write {nationality-language}?
Can you speak {nationality-language}?

Given that any of the answers are negative, the killer question is then
How does it feel to be dumber than a 6-year-old {nationality}?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, NOT "a religious zealot". The county sheriff was taking
bribes to leave it open. Had nothing to do with religious morality and
everything to do with official corruption.

I sometimes thought Marvin was WAAAAYYY over the top, but he was no
moralist, he believed in the law and in helping people, and he did do
that.

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:13:02 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Swingman wrote:

... and Marvin "slime-in-the-ice-machine" Zindler died yesterday (AKA
known as the busybody who closed down the Chicken Ranch (best lil'
whorehouse in Texas)).

A "Busy Body" or a religious zealot trying to interfere with man's
most fundamental instinct.

Organized religion has attempted to control man's breeding patterns
since time immortal, but they just can't seem to get the job done.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Mc" wrote in message
Actually, NOT "a religious zealot". The county sheriff was taking
bribes to leave it open. Had nothing to do with religious morality and
everything to do with official corruption.

Nobody, not even Marvin (even after he was sent ass over teakettle by same),
ever accused Jim Flournoy of taking bribes. You would have to be familiar
with the area, and to have been there during that era, to appreciate the
history of that enterprise in that part of Texas ... anyone who would make
the above remark was obviously not, or watched way too much TV.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, maybe I am a dummy, If so, fine. But I lived here in Houston
through that whole era, watching the story unfold along with everyone
else. Jim Flournoy may have been a great old codger, and he certainly
popped Marvin a good one, and I laughed out loud at it, but the
accusation was still made that he looked the other way over that
whorehouse and benefited financially from it. No charges, no trial, he
just resigned under pressure. And Marvin got famous from it..

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 09:48:08 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"John Mc" wrote in message
Actually, NOT "a religious zealot". The county sheriff was taking
bribes to leave it open. Had nothing to do with religious morality and
everything to do with official corruption.

Nobody, not even Marvin (even after he was sent ass over teakettle by same),
ever accused Jim Flournoy of taking bribes. You would have to be familiar
with the area, and to have been there during that era, to appreciate the
history of that enterprise in that part of Texas ... anyone who would make
the above remark was obviously not, or watched way too much TV.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Mc" wrote in message

else. Jim Flournoy may have been a great old codger, and he certainly
popped Marvin a good one, and I laughed out loud at it, but the
accusation was still made that he looked the other way over that
whorehouse and benefited financially from it. No charges, no trial, he
just resigned under pressure. And Marvin got famous from it..

Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong again ... let's be charitable and blame
it on faulty recollection, but the above is still untruths and conjecture.

Marvin's grandstanding publicity shenanigans resulted in the Chicken Ranch
closing in 1973. Jim Flournoy "resigned" his office in 1980, after 34 years
of being Sheriff, and died less than two years after that, in 1982.

There was never any "pressure" for him to resign, and when he retired he was
considered to be one of the most effective and respected lawmen in modern
Texas history.

Get your facts straight, dude ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Mc" wrote in message
Actually, NOT "a religious zealot". The county sheriff was taking
bribes to leave it open. Had nothing to do with religious morality and
everything to do with official corruption.

Nobody, not even Marvin (even after he was sent ass over teakettle by same),
ever accused Jim Flournoy of taking bribes. You would have to be familiar
with the area, and to have been there during that era, to appreciate the
history of that enterprise in that part of Texas ... anyone who would make
the above remark was obviously not, or watched way too much TV.

You gotta remember the Chicken Ranch was disassembled and moved to
Dallas where the walls were incorporated into a restaurant/bar. There
were a lot of Dallas execs that worried their names might be carved
into those walls particular attention to the restroom walls.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

I just use the term "ethnic" ... as in "Hey ... how can you tell when an
ethnic has been in Lake Erie? ... by the ring they leave!"

If you think that one was bad, I need to warn you that it's all downhill
from here.
Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000764-1, 08/07/2007
Tested on: 8/7/2007 2:47:10 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

BillinDetroit wrote:
I just use the term "ethnic" ... as in "Hey ... how can you tell when
an ethnic has been in Lake Erie? ... by the ring they leave!"

If you think that one was bad, I need to warn you that it's all
downhill from here.
Bill

My minister father-in-law every wary of insulting any ethnic group often
used the Hittites as the butt of his jokes...not once did a Hittite
complain........ Rod