Rod Upfold

Default Equipment Manuals

You would think that what we pay for a piece of equipment, that the
manufactures could produce a descent manua.

Who has the worst manual?

Thank you

Rodl
2manytoyz

Only 1 comes to mind from the hundreds of tools I've bought for home and
work... A milling machine from Grizzly was a literal translation from
Chinese. Almost comical to read.

"Rod Upfold" wrote in message
You would think that what we pay for a piece of equipment, that the
manufactures could produce a descent manua.

Who has the worst manual?

Thank you

Rodl

Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
It's a toss up. Name a brand, and at least some of that brand's manuals

will be
terrible. About 36 brands have some decent manuals. No brand has all good
manuals.

Cept probably Leigh.

Charlie Self

Leon responds:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
It's a toss up. Name a brand, and at least some of that brand's manuals

will be
terrible. About 36 brands have some decent manuals. No brand has all good
manuals.

Cept probably Leigh.

Ya got me! You are correct. Their manuals are nearly unbelievable they're so
good.

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without
integrity is dangerous and dreadful."
Samuel Johnson

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:19:28 -0400, Rod Upfold
pixelated:

You would think that what we pay for a piece of equipment, that the
manufactures could produce a descent manua.

You'd think that, given the price we pay, a Wrecker could
at least spell "manufacturers", "decent", and "manual", eh?

Who has the worst manual?

My vote goes to Harbor Fright for Japanese pre-translated
Taiwanese-translated Engrish manuals from China. Y'know,
they're usually the one-sheet jobs.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Rich Andrews

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:19:28 -0400, Rod Upfold
pixelated:

You would think that what we pay for a piece of equipment, that the
manufactures could produce a descent manua.

You'd think that, given the price we pay, a Wrecker could
at least spell "manufacturers", "decent", and "manual", eh?

Who has the worst manual?

My vote goes to Harbor Fright for Japanese pre-translated
Taiwanese-translated Engrish manuals from China. Y'know,
they're usually the one-sheet jobs.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

The one that always cracked me up was a Sony manual that said that the
signal was "sprit" 3 ways.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Charlie Self

CW responds:

You should see the ones that typically ship with Japanese CNC mills.
$100.000 for the mill and a nearly incomprehensible manual.
"2manytoyz" wrote in message
. com...
Only 1 comes to mind from the hundreds of tools I've bought for home and
work... A milling machine from Grizzly was a literal translation from
Chinese. Almost comical to read.

Ya hadda be there, I think, but...one helluva long time ago ('62), I was
working for a small ad agency down on Williams St, in NYC; a friend bought one
of the early Honda motorbikes, a 50cc buzzer. A great little "zip up the West
Side Drive" vehicle if you were lucky enough to stay out of the way of the
Pontiacs, Buicks, Fords and whatnot that made up the major sources of crumpled
sheetmetal. The manual was damned near impossible to read without laughing. In
fact, it was damned near impossible to read.

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without
integrity is dangerous and dreadful."
Samuel Johnson

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:10:06 -0000, Rich Andrews
pixelated:

Who has the worst manual?

My vote goes to Harbor Fright for Japanese pre-translated
Taiwanese-translated Engrish manuals from China. Y'know,
they're usually the one-sheet jobs.

The one that always cracked me up was a Sony manual that said that the
signal was "sprit" 3 ways.

That must have been a Freudian srip.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
mttt

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:19:28 -0400, Rod Upfold
pixelated:

My vote goes to Harbor Fright for Japanese pre-translated
Taiwanese-translated Engrish manuals from China. Y'know,
they're usually the one-sheet jobs.

I'll second that...

You'll usually find something along the lines of "Warning! Never before
fingers to put! Correlation can be caustic or eye damage!" Admittedly, I'll
spend the 60 seconds to see if I can make heads'er'tails out'a it.

Rich Andrews

Silvan wrote in news:sqvh31-ndb.ln1
@giganator.family.lan:

Rod Upfold wrote:

Who has the worst manual?

My Grizzly bandsaw are were hard to putting from instruct together, as I
recall. I'm too lazy to go dig it out.

I've seen some real doosies though. Computer stuff actually has to be

the
worst, I think.

It helps to read the manuals out loud with a really bad Japanese accent as
in "the lice bowl was sprit tree way by catawac dwiver". (:)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Ward Cleaver

Larry Jaques wrote in rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:10:06 -0000, Rich Andrews
pixelated:

Who has the worst manual?

My vote goes to Harbor Fright for Japanese pre-translated
Taiwanese-translated Engrish manuals from China. Y'know,
they're usually the one-sheet jobs.

I once bought something at HF, don't remember what it was, but the
manual was small xeroxed sheet of paper that actually had some
handwritten info added at the bottom.
2manytoyz

It took me a while to find this website again, but it's worth the read:
http://www.engrish.com/

;-)

Silvan

charlie b wrote:

Sked Dule rather than Shed Dule. How do Brits
pronounce "school"?

Same way we do, I think. British pronunciation is weird though. I find a
lot of words that we Americans pronounce in a manner that I would expect to
be more characteristic of the British, and vice versa.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17790 Approximate word count: 533700

Silvan

Ward Cleaver wrote:

I once bought something at HF, don't remember what it was, but the
manual was small xeroxed sheet of paper that actually had some
handwritten info added at the bottom.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot. Usually really whispy thin paper at that.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17791 Approximate word count: 533730

Jim K

One of the reasons for this is that many companies use their engineers
to write the user manual thereby saving the cost of a dedicated
technical writer (yes - I is a tech wroter). As an example I've been
having a long battle with our engineers about a button in our Internet
interface. It says "delete mailbox." We get about a call a month from
customers who wonder if this will delete (as in destroy) their
e-mailbox. All it really does is "empty mailbox." Your next e-mail
will be delivered with no problem.

They won't change the button because technically it does delete the
mailbox, but reconstructs it with the next e-mail. I've tried to argue
that the customer really doesn't care about being technically
accurate, they just want to empty out their mailbox.

Thanks for letting me vent -- this little problem has been bugging me
for 3 years (along with an un-numbered amount of customer calls).

instruction manuals Mortimer UK diy 0 May 13th 04 04:54 PM
where to find manuals? danlittman Metalworking 2 April 22nd 04 06:26 AM
Question about 110v equipment Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 10:32 AM