Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXC

Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1046 - carrier for block of ice.

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1043. Powder horn for muzzzle loading firearms.
1047. Predict weather using barometric pressure?
Karl

On Jul 25, 10:28 pm, "R.H." wrote:
Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1043: Powder horn
1044: Upholstery hammer
1045: Level
1046: I don't think it is for ice, too small. So
maybe for bulk sheets of paper ?
1047: Tire tread gauge
1048: Banding stretcher/crimper
David

"R.H." wrote in message
Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#1046 - Carrier/installation/removal tool for automotive batteries

--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1047 is a tire tread depth guage. I know 'cause I have one.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Again posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

1043) Hmm ... perhaps an oil lamp of some sort -- with a wick
held in the spring-loaded pinchers at the top?

But the location of the eyelets suggests that it is supposed to
be carried by a strap around the neck. I think that it is a bit
too early to be a gunpowder dispenser -- or a shot dispenser,
but I'm not sure.

1044) An interesting clawhammer. Two possibilities come to mind:

1) The solid back claw is to keep the nail from flipping
out of control and perhaps being lost when it finally
comes lose.

2) The solid back claw, in combination with the bifurcated
normal claw, can serve to hold a nail so you can start
it without an extra hand being involved.

1045) A rolling-ball level. Not particularly sensitive, based on the
visible curvature of the ramps going to the right and left.

I suspect that each graduation moving out from the circle
represents a additional degree off level.

1046) Looks like a set of tongs for carrying a block of ice with less
damage than the usual tongs create.

1047) A guess, given the markings, suggests that this is yet another
device for measuring tread wear on tires. The white "toothpick"
sticks into the grooves while the body hits against the outer
tread, to give you an indication of how much is left.

1048) I *knew* that I should have gotten around to photographing mine
and sending it in. I had it for a few years (from one friend)
before another friend commented on it. She knew what it was
because she had worked with one regularly.

It is designed to draw the drawstrings on a money back tight,
(with the left lever) and then crimp a seal onto the strings
(with the pliers handles). This is done after they have been
filled with a counted amount of money. At that time, she
happened to be stuck with the job of counting the concessions
take from the football games at the college where she worked.

Mine is painted gray instead of natural metal color (that one
looks like nickel-plated steel) but is otherwise quite similar.

Now to see what others have said,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 4:28 am, "R.H." wrote:
Set 190 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I'm still thinking '46 is for carry bricks up the ladder for chimney-
building, or walls for that matter.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I'm still thinking '46 is for carry bricks up the ladder for chimney-
building, or walls for that matter.

Dave

The guy who sold it to me said it was a battery carrier, though someone else
standing there at the time thought it was for carrying bricks. I searched
the web and found some newer versions of battery carriers that look similar,
but the brick carriers that I found could carry longer loads. The distance
between the jaws on mine can vary between 5-1/2" to 8-3/4", so I'm going to
go with the battery carrier answer for now.

The rest of the answers for this week's set can be seen he

http://pzphotosan190-t1.blogspot.com/

Rob