Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar staining

Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the
natural look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best
treatment to preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in
direct sunlight much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if
possible. It would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and
use a top coat of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark" wrote in message
Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the natural
look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best treatment to
preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in direct sunlight
much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if possible. It
would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and use a top coat
of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark

I wouldn't stain it. Cedar looks great unaltered. I fininished a cedar
sandbox using a marine spar varnish that I applied with a rag. I'm sure you
could find it in a can.

You will probably need to refinish it once a year to keep it looking nice.

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the natural
look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best treatment to
preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in direct sunlight
much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if possible. It
would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and use a top coat
of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark

I wouldn't stain it. Cedar looks great unaltered. I fininished a cedar
sandbox using a marine spar varnish that I applied with a rag. I'm sure you
could find it in a can.

You will probably need to refinish it once a year to keep it looking nice.

I'd like to use at least a light stain to even out some of the
contrasting colors. But I did use spar on something before, and it does
work well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

O My neighbor suggested fuel oil to protect and stain my cedar to
frustrate the Carpenter Bees that love exposed, unpainted cedar. I
added some roofing shingles to the diesel fuel to further frustrate
the pests and it proved to be a pretty god stail and appears to offer
some measure of "water proofing" as well. The aroma goes away!

n Jul 24, 3:15 am, "Rusty" wrote:
hydraulic oil works well try it on a test piece and no top coat"Mark" wrote in message

Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the natural
look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best treatment to
preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in direct sunlight
much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if possible. It
would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and use a top coat
of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the
natural look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best
treatment to preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in
direct sunlight much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if
possible. It would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and
use a top coat of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark

look at REZ cedar stain, from Pittsburgh paints.

As far as i know, it's not sprayable, but it applies well with either
a rag, or a brush.

Durability is excellent, even in direct sunlight -- 10-15 years before
recoat needed, in a central mid-west location.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark wrote:
Greetings All,
We are having a new porch built out of cedar and really enjoy the
natural look of it. Is there a general concensus about the best
treatment to preserve the new look? It's a small porch, and not in
direct sunlight much. I would still like something that is sprayable, if
possible. It would make the railings easier to do. Do we just stain and
use a top coat of sealer (i.e. Thompson's) or is there something better?
Thanks as always to anyone who helps, Mark

look at REZ cedar stain, from Pittsburgh paints.

As far as i know, it's not sprayable, but it applies well with either
a rag, or a brush.

Durability is excellent, even in direct sunlight -- 10-15 years before
recoat needed, in a central mid-west location.

I used Olympic Wood Protector on this fence. (applied with a short nap
roller) easy job.

http://tinyurl.com/2gfyt7

Max