Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXXIX

A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1037 - razor blade hone
/mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1037 is a razor blade stropping / resharperning device. Quite
clever as it picks the arm up and turns the blade over and sets it
back onto the leather disk to strop the other side.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"R.H." wrote in message
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1037. Tortilla plane.
1038. Hippo tooth puller. For small hippos.
1039. Baby tongs for mean babies.
1040. Inverted disco-ball. The mirrors are INSIDE! Wow, man.
1041. Wood-acid battery, for starting carriages.
1042. It's a well-known fact that the shingle hammer was invented nearly
100 years before shingles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jul 19, 3:49 am, "R.H." wrote:
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1042: Never saw one quite like it, but it's a shingling hatchet. The
steps or gauge lines allow you to set the right exposure for the
shingle.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1042: Never saw one quite like it, but it's a shingling hatchet. The
steps or gauge lines allow you to set the right exposure for the
shingle.

John Martin

Probably correct, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet; Mark and Dan
are right about the first one being a razor sharpener.

I added some additional info to the site about two of the pieces:

1039. This tool was used on a farm but not with animals, and it's missing
the straps that went through the holes on the end.

1041. This device was photographed at the Trap Hall of Fame.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1041 Oh... Now I can make a guess... A thing to release a live bird. A
string pulls the pin, the sides flip open, the bird flies, and the shooter
skilfully converts the bird to feathers and bloody bits.

"R.H." wrote in message

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1042: Never saw one quite like it, but it's a shingling hatchet. The
steps or gauge lines allow you to set the right exposure for the
shingle.

John Martin

Probably correct, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet; Mark and Dan
are right about the first one being a razor sharpener.

I added some additional info to the site about two of the pieces:

1039. This tool was used on a farm but not with animals, and it's missing
the straps that went through the holes on the end.

1041. This device was photographed at the Trap Hall of Fame.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:14:19 -0400, "R.H."
wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1039. This tool was used on a farm but not with animals, and it's missing
the straps that went through the holes on the end.
Rob

1039: Stump puller maybe?
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As always -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

1037) This looks like a device for sharpening single-edged razor
blades.

1038) Now this is a strange one. The spike is not contoured
properly for simply punching a hole in something (it should be
curved to do that properly given the pivot location), and it
seems that the notch just before the spike could be used to
clamp a cable of some sort. Exactly why the rope is another
question, though it looks as though one could pull up on the
rope while stepping down on the other side to use it while
standing.

1039) It appears to be for lifing and carrying something with an
offset.

But a sadist might claim that it is a doctor's speculum.

1040) Perhaps a topographic globe of our planet? There is not enough
contrast to allow me to identify continents -- but it might
continue to represent undersea areas as well.

1041) It sort of looks as though it could be used to *release* a small
critter with a string connected to the eye in the pin, and then
run through the ring in the upright.

Perhaps for releasing birds to be shot (an early form of "trap
shooting", prior to the artificial clay pigeons.

1042) A hammer which is designed for installing and removing
shingles? The notch could be used for pulling the nails
securing a shingle from under another shingle.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1037: Razor strop
1042: Slater's hammer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

this time only one silly guess ...

1041 maybee some kind of stuff used by handloading / reloading people, for
casting their own bullets.

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
1041 Oh... Now I can make a guess... A thing to release a live bird. A
string pulls the pin, the sides flip open, the bird flies, and the shooter
skilfully converts the bird to feathers and bloody bits.

Correct, it's a live bird trap.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1039. This tool was used on a farm but not with animals, and it's missing
the straps that went through the holes on the end.
Rob

1039: Stump puller maybe?
Dave

It's not for stumps but there is a piece of wood involved.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1038) ... and it seems that the notch just before the spike could be used
clamp a cable of some sort.

Good guess, definitely in the right ballpark.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1039 How about a tree climber. You pull yourself
up by it ?

"R.H." wrote in message

"dav1936531" wrote in
message

wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1039. This tool was used on a farm but not with
animals, and it's missing
the straps that went through the holes on the
end.
Rob

1039: Stump puller maybe?
Dave

It's not for stumps but there is a piece of wood
involved.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
1039 How about a tree climber. You pull yourself up by it ?

Nope, it's not a tree climber. It's used by farmers of a specific crop.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
1039 How about a tree climber. You pull yourself up by it ?

Nope, it's not a tree climber. It's used by farmers of a specific crop.

Rob

How about for skidding out christmas trees?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

How about for skidding out christmas trees?

Nope, it's not for any type of tree.

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
1038) ... and it seems that the notch just before the spike could be used
clamp a cable of some sort.

Good guess, definitely in the right ballpark.

On second thought, my reply should have been:

Correct, though it's used for very specific cables.

-----

Difficult set this week, four of the six were answered correctly. The
answer page can be seen he

http://pzphotosan179-x1t.blogspot.com/

Rob